Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you.` I`ve started using the C4 and I`m happy so far.` It has survived the winter here is N.J. on the wife`s Subaru.`

`

I have tried to post photos but keep having issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome test/thread/review/comparison!

www.meticulous-detail.com/

"The Prep makes the Pop, not what`s on Top"

Post Thanks / Like

This review has few peers. The breath of products, variety of substrates, and graphic evidence really makes it a top notch review.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Chris for performing this test.` As was mentioned the results you got with the BlackWow Pro are far from typical.` We`ve had the product in testing for over a year and have tested it on a number of surfaces in real world conditions.` However what "real world" even means is dependent on geography.` Obviously the weather here in SoCal would be considered "optimal weather".` Mostly sunny, warm temps, lower humidity, with occasional rain.` That`s why I tell local customers they can expect 6 to 8 months of durability in our area but less in other parts of the country and still the type of materials and what was previously applied to those materials can greatly affect the longevity.

`

We went through over 4 iterations of the product to arrive at the latest version and had about 30 testers across the country using it in various ways and were documented in a secret Facebook group.` Here in SoCal, durability is easily over 5 months and looking great until 8 to 10 months.` This is on a car that is parked outside 24x7.` We have documented progress shots of this.`

`

Some plastics just don`t work well for silicone based products.` While your test compares how long products last on the plastics you have chosen in your test environment, they don`t compare product benefits.

`

For sample, for a grill like this, a cream based or silicone type product is very unforgiving.` Trying to coat this is equally arduous.` BlackWow Pro can be put into a paint aerosol can or even sprayed with an airbrush without thinning.` This make application on these areas very fast and easy.

`

Same goes for trying to apply trim products to a cowling like this.` The wiper arms haven`t been wiped down yet as we like to let it soak longer on these surfaces.

`

On this Honda Element that lives outdoors, this has been on for 106 days including about 10 days of rain during that time.

`

BlackWow Pro goes on fast and easy...as fast as a coating.` It is extremely flexible.` It`s not hazardous.` It won`t stain or damage clothes, paint, plastics.` It dries uniform and absorbs fast to leave a matte/satin finish.

`

This is 99 days after applications

`

`

`

One thing I suggest to my customers after applying BlackWow Pro is to wipe a section with IPA and see if the BWP is removed.` If it isn`t, chances are it will last a very long time.` Some plastics just don`t absorb well and if the BWP is removed by wiping with IPA, you can be pretty sure it won`t last long.

`

`

BlackWow Pro looks great on matte painted surfaces as well.` This plastic bumper was matte cleared and BlackWow Pro was applied..in the dark, lol, so it was uneven until it was viewed under daylight.

`

Reapplied more evenly

`

Find BlackWow at Autopia-Carcare.com
    Black Wow

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty clear Gtechniq C4 and Carmor are the winners....in a very long ways!

`

I wonder how Opti-Coat 2.0 would have lasted????` I know it is made for paint finishes, but they say it works great on plastic and glass as well!

Post Thanks / Like

great review. thanks for taking the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Any plans on doing some scratch resistance testing?

Post Thanks / Like

<span style="color:#ff0000;"><span style="font-size:24px;">UPDATE:

`

I have been meaning to get this update posted for some time. `

`

`

The panel has seen some pretty varied weather; everything from weeks of heavy rain, snow, ice & sun. `

`

`

`

At about the 6 week mark all but 5 seemed to be completely gone. `This photo was taken at the 8 week mark. `The Solution finish has faded significantly but this might be a result of the test piece not having been heavily faded to begin with. `The 4 coating products seem to have had no fading at all. `Something tells me this could be a very looonnnngggg test. `

`

`

`

`
    Outside of the 5 remaining, UTTG lasted the longest in this test. `A revisit of the first round of testing (still underway): `UTTG is still holding on after >4 months. `(I apologize: this photo was previously posted with the labeling being incorrect. `The darker section is GTechniq C4 and UTTG is to the right. `UTTG is faded but it does still have a definitive edge indicating it is still present.)
    `

<span style="font-size:14px;">

`

`

And Forever Black seems unfazed. `The only issue is where the tape pulled some off early on. `On the left was Forever Black by itself. `On the right it was coated with Opti-Coat to see if it would improve durability and resistance. `

`

`

`

`

`

<span style="font-size:14px;">I also got to observe the BMW at the 3 month mark. `

`

`

`

`

`

On this trim the 3 remaining products all seem to have faded a little. `This might prove to be the better real-life test as long as the car doesn`t go away for some reason and cut my observations short.

`

`

I also found another use for the Carmor and GTechniq C4 that I would not consider using any of the other products for. `

`

`

`

`

`

`

The driver`s button sees a lot more contact so it was in worse condition to begin with and I anticipate will wear more quickly so it won`t be a fair durability comparison between them. `This is on my own car so I will continue to observe this.

`

`

`

`

More to come.
    Likes newtows4thlaw liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

What a thread!! Thank you so much for sharing with us!
    Fergy-

Your only as good as your last detail

Post Thanks / Like

Nth Degree- Thanks for the update!` Glad to hear my old reliable UTTG is holding up well.

`

Hey, I like that seatbelt release application!` Yeah, it calls for a "restoration" product, rather than just a "protectant" like the UTTG...good to know those two work for that.` Hmm...wonder if my Griot`s Rubber Prep would prepare those well enough to use the UTTG...

Post Thanks / Like

Great test.` I wonder how Dlux would compare with these?

Post Thanks / Like

I am not a fan of Black Wow at all. It did not work for me.

Thank you for doing the comparison.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great test... Something to concider .. Try Forever Black Tire Gel instead of the trim product .. I liked it better and easier to apply but is not glossy .
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like

<span style="font-size:18px;"><span style="color:#ff0000;">6 month update:

`

<span style="font-size:11.818181991577148px;">The 4 at the bottom are still holding up well. `None appear to have any signs of fading. `The test panel has been exposed to the weather nonstop and seen plenty of weather. `I have not washed the panel as frequently as I had planned (nor my own car) and it has not been exposed to normal driving conditions. `

`

`

`

`

`

`

It is barely visible in the photo but the tape line along the bottom of the Solution Finish piece is still slightly visible, as is the Black Wow Classic. `

`

`

When I washed the panel I was a little surprised that UTTG was still beading water very well, despite the visible appearance that it was dead. `

`

`

`

`

The Black Wow Classic is still beading respectably. `Solution Finish never did bead water, a trait that makes it a good choice on steps where slipping could be a concern. `Black Wow Pro hasn`t been beading since the one month update. `

`

`

`

`

Neither of the products below ever showed great beading.

`

`

`

`

Carmor Fade To New still beads like the first week after application. `C4 still beads well but this is the first indication of either outlasting, though beading is low on the list of priorities or indicators for durability. `

`

`

`

`

`

`

I will continue to observe and update this thread. `The owner of the BMW has been out of the country for the past 6 weeks so I haven`t seen it in a while. `I hope to see it soon and will post update if/when I do. `As I was writing this I realized I also forgot to check the status of the seatbelt buttons so I will include that soon as well. `

`

`

<span style="color:#0000cd;">Pricing Update: `<span style="color:#000000;">Carmor Fade to New has been reduced to $29.95 for the one ounce bottle. `That is a sufficient amount for any DIYer to cover their own car (probably a few cars, depending on amount of trim) with a few exceptions such as a Chevy Avalanche. `Carmor has also been made available in 4 oz. ($69.95), 16 oz ($225.00), and 32 oz. ($395.00). `

`

`

<span style="color:#000000;">I have been asked many times what product(s) I choose to use based upon my test. `I have seen many posts on various forums asking for trim restorer recommendations and, until now, I have avoided naming any products and, instead, have linked this thread so they could draw their own conclusion. `

`

`

My answer: `

`

UTTG has always been my choice for a durable dressing and continues to be. `It rarely fails to deliver. `

`

Solution Finish delivers the most natural look (least glossy) and can be used on areas that I would hesitate to use other products, such as steps, door handles, etc. `

`

Carmor Fade to New for the coating category. `C4 is an equally capable product and I sometimes prefer the slightly lower gloss for some applications. `The deciding factor here (unless the long term durability proves to be vastly different) is price. `At half the price of C4 for a 1 oz. bottle it really becomes an easy decision. `The newly available 4 oz. container at nearly 1/4 the price per ounce compared to C4 just makes it that much easier for a professional detailer. `Carmor has a great product and has been flying under the radar.

Here is a photo of Carmor being applied to a badly neglected BMW 330i I detailed recently:

`

`

`

For anyone looking for a cost effective option (selling a car, for example) Forever Black is a reasonable choice. `It is outclassed by some of the others in this test but it does a decent job for the lowest price. `

`

`

`

<span style="font-size:18px;"><span style="color:#ff0000;">There will be a round 3!

`

Thanks to the generosity of someone who shall remain anonymous for the time being, I have received additional products to test.`

`

`

To be included: `

`

Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant

Stoner`s Trim Shine

3D Trim Care Protectant

Duragloss 271

Carpro DLux

`

Plus a few others. `If you have a product you feel should be included I will be happy to do so if a sample is provided. `

`

For those following this post, I will post a link here when the new thread is started but it might be a while as the process is time consuming. `

`

`

`

`
    Likes newtows4thlaw liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nth Degree- Thanks, I always appreciate these updates!

`

Did I understand you correctly in that you have some reservations about using UTTG on black plastic door handles?` I`ve been using it with good results on the handles of the Crown Vic.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information