Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Clay alternatives have been taking over the market for what seems like the last couple of years. `I first remember seeing the Speed Prep Towels, but just couldn`t justify spending the price when I really had no major complaints about "traditional claying". `
    `
    As more and more of these products have been introduced, my curiosity had finally peaked and I decided to purchase the Optimum Opti-Eraser (Fine Grade and Heavy Grade) earlier this year (February?). `I decided to give these a shot for one main reason - it was cheap. (Bear with me... this all leads to the NanoSkin Wash Mitt review) I felt like if I bought it and didn`t like it - oh well, only a few bucks wasted.
    `

`
    I tried it out on my wife`s car which we had just bought. `It was a 2010 Mazda CX7 that had probably never been decontaminated. `The Opti-Eraser "worked" - I mean it removed the contaminates from the surface, but I didn`t like using it. `
    `

^After a few swipes on the hood (I tried both fine and heavy - I had the same impressions about both of them).
    `
    The opti-eraser was extremely "grabby" meaning it did not slide across the paint, and believe me - I was using PLENTY of clay lubricant. `The Eraser provided no feedback (sound or feel), so you could not tell if the contaminates had been removed. `It didn`t seem to leave any marring behind, but my wife`s paint is relatively hard so I wasn`t expecting it to. `I tried it again later on a Jet Black M3 and that was a different story, but as we all know - that paint can be a nightmare no matter what you touch it with.
    `
    Long story short - I did not have a good time with my first "clay alternative" and left it sitting on the shelf for the past 8 months or so. `I occasionally use it to remove contaminates from glass, but that is about it.
    `
    `
    `
    <span style="font-size:18px;">Now on to the NanoSkin review...
    `
    `
    `
    A couple of weeks ago, I was working on a gigantic Lexus GX470... This car was ridiculously contaminated, and I finally felt myself "hating" the claying process after 2 hours of working on it. `I rarely work on anything larger than a large sedan, but this SUV pushed me to my limits when it came to claying. `Afterwards, I began looking into clay alternatives again. `I really liked the idea of the NanoSkin mitt so I decided that would be my next attempt to conform to the `clay alternative ways of detailing`. `After browsing several threads, I decided the fine grade mitt seemed to do the trick for the vast majority of the population so that is what I chose as well. `
    `
    My first (and only - so far) victim would be a jet black Toyota Avalon. `As many of you probably know - this is super soft, finicky paint. `For this reason, I was expecting the mitt to leave behind some marring. `I was planning a full correction on the vehicle, so I was not worried about any minor defects that it might leave behind. `
    `
    Prior to using the mitt, the vehicle was foamed with a heavy concentration of CG Citrus Wash, Rinsed, Washed with a similar mixture of Citrus Wash, Blown mostly dry, Iron X`d, Rinsed, and then I went to work with the Nanoskin Mitt. `I decided I wanted to try to use the mitt using only a concentrated shampoo mixture as lube, so I mixed 4oz of CW&G into my gilmour foammaster II and sprayed the windshield - I broke in the mitt on the glass, as recommended by the manufacturer. `Apparently there is a thin film that covers the "clay" surface that is used for protection before the product is used - this film needs to be removed before rubbing the mitt on the paint, and the best way to remove it is to rub the mitt on a glass surface.`
    `
    After `claying` the glass, I moved to the hood. `I sprayed 1/2 the hood with foam, dunked my mitt in a clean bucket of soapy water for additional lubrication, and gently started rubbing the surface. `I used little to no pressure - just the weight of my hand, and moderate speed as I waved my hand side to side. `I worked in sections about 2`x2` and would dunk my mitt back into my soapy solution to rinse it off before moving to another section (I would apply foam to the surface as needed).
    `
    I was very pleased with the feedback that this product provided as I was working. `I could easily hear and feel the contamination as I was rubbing the mitt on the surface, and I could just as easily hear and feel when it had been removed. `The larger area of the mitt (compared to traditional clay) produced much quicker results that were equal to (if not better) than traditional clay in terms of decontamination removal.
    `
    I made my way around the car - working on horizontal surfaces and then vertical surfaces, rinsing each section as I went so the soap would not dry on the paint (although it was night time and rather cool out - better safe than sorry). `I then dried the car off and pulled it in for inspection. `
    `
    As expected - the mitt had marred the surface. `As I already stated, the Toyota Jet Black Paint is some of the softest paint I have ever touched so I was actually surprised at the minor amount of marring that was there. `
    `

^I circled the areas where you can see the marring left by the mitt. `(yes the rest of the paint was destroyed, but the mitt did not do that!) `Just for the heck of it, I decided to see how light this marring was - I was able to remove it with Menzerna SF4500 on a white polishing pad (I did not try any less aggressive pads), so that goes to show it was very light.
    `
    *Note: I should have also tried a section using my NanoSkin Glide lubricant instead of the foam solution to see if that made a difference in marring, sorry!
    `
    `
    After a quick baggie test on a few random areas, I confirmed the mitt had done its job and removed the vast majority of bonded contaminates from the surface.
    `
    `
    <span style="font-size:18px;">Pros
    - Excellent Feedback (you can hear and feel the contaminates being removed)
    - Works well at removing bonded contaminates
    - Quicker than traditional clay due to the larger surface area
    - Supposedly lasts longer than traditional clay
    - Can simply be rinsed off if you drop it on the floor
    `
    <span style="font-size:18px;">Cons
    - Somewhat pricey (more of a concern for enthusiasts/hobbyists)
    - Can leave more marring that traditional clay, therefore I would only recommend using IF you have time to do a light polish afterwards
    `
    Overall I was extremely pleased with the product and plan to use it on any vehicle that will be receiving a paint correction to help speed up my decontamination process.
    `
    I was able to clean wheels and tires, foam, rinse, wash, iron x, rinse, autoscrub in 2 hours... I would estimate that the autoscrub portion only took 20-30 minutes, and a Toyota Avalon is NOT a small vehicle.
    `

`
    Complete write up of the Toyota can be seen here:`http://www.autopia.org/forum/topic/1...22ple-vx1-pro/
    `
    Thanks for looking!!!
    `
    -Zach
    `

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Zach! I love the Nanoskin stuff: `http://www.nanoskinusa.com/products/...ub-system.html

`

I actually tried a beta-type version a while back and thought they were really nice. I currently use the Speedy Prep towel, but also find myself reaching for clay on occasion. Have you ever tried the Speedy Prep towel and if so how does it compare to the Nanoskin pads?`
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani

Great review Zach! I love the Nanoskin stuff: `http://www.nanoskinusa.com/products/...ub-system.html

`

I actually tried a beta-type version a while back and thought they were really nice. I currently use the Speedy Prep towel, but also find myself reaching for clay on occasion. Have you ever tried the Speedy Prep towel and if so how does it compare to the Nanoskin pads?`

Thanks David.

`

I have not used any of the Speedy Prep products... I may pick one up when this Nanoskin mitt needs to be replaced!

Post Thanks / Like

`I too enjoy using the Autoscrub. I have tried the disc, the mitt, and the prep towel. I tend to favor the mitt mainly because it is part of my wash process. Although, like David I occasionly reach for the clay bar when I am dealing with heavy contamination.

Post Thanks / Like

That mitt is one of the most fantastic detailing products i`ve bought in quite awhile. `Such a time saver

Post Thanks / Like

What are you guys using for lube for the nanoskin mitts? thanks
    2002 Camaro Z28

2008 GMC Sierra CC

2009 Pontiac Torrent GXP

Post Thanks / Like

I`m using ONR clay lube mix for the nanoskin products

Post Thanks / Like
    Nanoskin Glide for lube.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by red4.8

What are you guys using for lube for the nanoskin mitts? thanks

I use my soapy bucket water.

`

After washing a panel with a wash mitt; I immediately follow with the AutoScrub mitt.

Post Thanks / Like

I used ONR as clay lube for quite a while, but decided to give Nanoskin Glide a shot and was really impressed. `

Post Thanks / Like

Glide is nice, gives a different texture/ feel as you use Nanoskin stuff.

Dave@Lake Country Mfg. David Patterson@LakeCountry's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I was impressed with both glide and shock when I used them.` Honestly I felt that I got much, much less marring when using these lubricants when used by hand or machine
    LakeCountryMfg.com
    Email - David.Patterson@LakeCountryMfg.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Just used the mitt and block, both fine grade. Like others very impressed with the ability to decon and ease of use.

I also used the Glide spray for the lubricating agent. If you`re on the fence I say give it a shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone attest to the lifespan of these mitts?

I am interested in using something like this directly after my ONR wash,

and before I dry it. This should help speed things up.

`

Would you see any danger claying with the ONR that is left on the car

after Gary Dean Wash method? This is pretty clean liquid that is left on there.

I would also be spraying some stronger ONR solution as a lube, I just do not

want to chance there being contaminants in the ONR leftover solution that would

cause problems for polishing.

`

This is the method that I am proposing,

ONR Wash - Gary Dean Style

Spray ONR Clay Lube strength

Nano Mitt

Dry surface

Polish surface

Buff off polish,

Wax and Seal surface

`

Do you think that the surface would need dried then re-wetted?

Post Thanks / Like
    Does the Nanoscrub also remove the brown stain left behind after the rail dust is removed?
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information