Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking for a spray on product that will slow rust on a bike kept outdoors but under a bike cover. Looking to spray on bolts, frame (powdercoat), suspension, etc.

I thought I knew of one but have been out of detailing for 4 months or so and have a short memory span.

Post Thanks / Like
    Corrosionx is the product I was thinking of. FluidFilm is another oil based priducy that seems similar.

MaxWax, by corrsionx is a wax based coating.

Anyone have an idea of what I should use?

Post Thanks / Like
    both should work. check eastwood.com for others

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out Amsoil`s Heavy Duty Metal Protection (see if this link works: https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...?code=AMHSC-EA ).

It`s what I use on stuff like the mounting hardware of under-vehicle spare tires, works fine despite winter salt/etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    You do know that ValuGard Rust Inhibitor you have in aerosol. It will do wonders for that sort of use. It will last for years to protect from rusting/corrosion from the elements and such.

The problem with what "defox" is looking for, anything that will actually do what he seeks is a real bear to remove once he chooses to do so.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like
    Fluid Film

Post Thanks / Like
    Short term, mix 30% motor oil to 70% mineral oil and mist on. To remove, spray with mineral spirits, allow to dwell for 10 minutes, respray and agitate. Then wash with a strong soap solution to remove the hydrocarbon film.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like
    I really need a product I can spray on, ride the bike with, and not have it get messy. I`m not looking to store it, but protect it, while still being used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham
    You do know that ValuGard Rust Inhibitor you have in aerosol. It will do wonders for that sort of use. It will last for years to protect from rusting/corrosion from the elements and such.

The problem with what "defox" is looking for, anything that will actually do what he seeks is a real bear to remove once he chooses to do so.

Noting that I have/use/recommend the ValuGard Rust Inhibitor, the reason I recommended the Amsoil stuff instead is that a) it`s better at creeping into tight spots that the ValuGard *aerosol version* is for me, b) it`s a "cleaner" product both looks/touch-wise, and c) it`s easy enough to clean off if you decide you want/need to do that (though you can "clean the Amsoil" too, a lot better than with most such products I`ve tried).

The motor oil/mineral spirits sounds like a messier (but much cheaper) version of the Amsoil.

FWIW, my enthusiasm for the Amsoil is based on over a decade`s worth of experience with it for appliations like this, and [INSERT rant about Ohio winters and road chemicals].

Not an :argue by any means, just a "horses for courses" kind of post. Ya know Ketch, you might actually *like* the Amsoil HDMP for some stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the amsoil brown tinted? Remember I have to ride the bike with this stuff on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dfoxengr
    Is the amsoil brown tinted? Remember I have to ride the bike with this stuff on.

Eh, yeah....it is It`s not awful, but now that you`ver reminded me about the "have to ride with it on..." then maybe it`s a never-mind.

Why spray it on the powdercoated frame? I`d just Opticoat (or even just LSP) stuff that isn`t too vulnerable/porous :think:

Hmm...some of the Wurth products are pretty "clean", but I dunno if I`d want to be rubbing them with my clothes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just figure itll get everywhere when im hitting the fasteners, suspension,wheel spokes etc. I wont mean to get it on frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    crc 3-36 might do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dfoxengr
    I just figure itll get everywhere when im hitting the fasteners, suspension,wheel spokes etc. I wont mean to get it on frame.

Well, the Amsoil isn`t all that hard to keep on/off specific places. And it`s easy enough to wipe off any "oops!" with some solvent, especially before it flashes off completely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok I think ill try Boeshield t9 first and the S100 total cycle corrosion protectant next which claims it was designed for what im looking for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information