Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m curious if anyone does this? I happened to catch a video of it on youtube one day and I just got to wondering if anyone does it... what would be the benefit over using a good applicator pad?

Post Thanks / Like
    Some waxes need a bit of heat to work well and thus doing it with your bare hands is advisable. Otherwise....eh...I`d at least want to wear latex/nitrile gloves rather than work the stuff into my skin.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was at a local detailing clinic where the guy demonstrated applying either a swissvax or zymol (I forget which... Don`t really care) that needed to be applied by hand and I wasn`t impressed. Seemed kinda gimmicky to me. Maybe it is "necessary" for those particular waxes but I couldn`t shake the simple thought of "that looks ridiculous... Why the hell would I want to do that??"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane
    I was at a local detailing clinic where the guy demonstrated applying either a swissvax or zymol ...

Yeah, those are the two that need the heat. I won`t :nono: as some people whose opinions I respect think those product lines can indeed have their place. But I won`t be using them myself either :grinno:

Post Thanks / Like
    Gimmick all the way. I`ve tried a few times with various Zymols, application by hand makes a mess, uses more product and doesn`t increase durability or looks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    Gimmick all the way. I`ve tried a few times with various Zymols...

So you didn`t find the "heat from hands" to be necessary, huh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe on an ice cold day! Your favorite, FK1000P is a lot harder than any of those hand waxes, seems to go on via applicator just fine :-D

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve hand applied Souveran before just for the hell of it, but why strain your hands? Just use an applicator
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some soft Carnauba waxes (Victoria Concours Red Wax, Swisswax, Zymol, etc) use the warmth of the hands as a catalyst to activate the enzymes and soften the wax; enabling you to spread and massage in a very thin coating of wax. Applying to small sections and massaging in the wax will quickly start the cure process and exposure to the air will allow a full wax set-up.
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT
    Some soft Carnauba waxes (Victoria Concours Red Wax, Swisswax, Zymol, etc) use the warmth of the hands as a catalyst to activate the enzymes and soften the wax; enabling you to spread and massage in a very thin coating of wax. Applying to small sections and massaging in the wax will quickly start the cure process and exposure to the air will allow a full wax set-up.

I did read this as well.. it makes sense, but I don`t see the point. MAYBE you could say that wearing some gloves and doing it would give the least chance of marring over any applicator, but I didn`t really see the point in it I have to say.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Some waxes need a bit of heat to work well and thus doing it with your bare hands is advisable. Otherwise....eh...I`d at least want to wear latex/nitrile gloves rather than work the stuff into my skin.

I would definitely wear gloves if I were going to do this yes.

On a side note I will say that I could see how maybe you might get a little more even coverage and less likely to miss a small spot here and there but again, I just don`t see the point. I think that a 30.00 can of 915, FK, etc etc is just as good or better than any 1,100.00 can of swissvax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT

Have you ever tried this? Thin is not how it goes on. It makes a MESS. Unless you spend HOURS you get all sorts of high spots and end up using 10x the wax you would with foam. And unless you have girly hands, you are going to cause some sort of marring.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Once you get used to applying soft waxes with the tips of your fingers, I’ve found I used less product as was able to spread it thinly and evenly.

It has a lot to do with personal preference and individual experience really. David Wyllie Sr. (owner of Victoria Wax) is a great proponent of this application method

Take your tub of soft wax (Victoria Concours Red Wax, Swisswax, Zymol, etc) and gently rub the surface with your finger tips but don`t stick your fingers all the way in. Using small overlapping circles apply to one panel at a time. When you’ve done the second panel and remove the wax from the first panel with a 100% cotton towel and move on to the third panel and so on

Applying to small sections and massaging in the wax will quickly start the cure process and exposure to the air will allow a full wax set-up. Allow the radiation heat to ‘sweat’ the wax and then buff with a 100% cotton micro fibre towel.
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting, I`d love to see a video of how your or someone else that is great at it does it. I`m disgusted by the idea, I bet it shows

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    Have you ever tried this? Thin is not how it goes on. It makes a MESS. Unless you spend HOURS you get all sorts of high spots and end up using 10x the wax you would with foam. And unless you have girly hands, you are going to cause some sort of marring.

I was thinking this as well. I would mar the hell out of soft paint with my hands and I can spread thinner with an applicator. If heat is necessary (I don`t think 10* more than the ambient 85* is going to make much difference) then I have a blow dryer or heat gun. Plus, whatever heat is created by your hands will either be nullified by a cool paint surface or insignificant on a warm paint surface. I think it is all a way to cause excess to be applied so they can sell you more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information