Post Thanks / Like
    I have a new F150 Platinum that has the polished aluminum wheels. I don`t know if they have a coating (clearcoat) of some sort or not. On painted/cleared wheels, I`ve always used something basic like Simple Green to clean my tires, and it always gets on the wheels too. I`m afraid that product (or those like it) may haze these polished wheels. Does anyone know the proper product to be using on this wheel?

Post Thanks / Like
    cobrar97- It`s a safe bet that they`re cleared, but that doesn`t mean they`ll take abuse. I`d clean `em with Griot`s Wheel Cleaner, though there are other good options like 1Z.

I`d keep Simple Green far away from any vehicle that I cared about. Not hating on it, but I don`t use it for detailing jobs as IMO there are better options that are also less likely to do damage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a product that can do both tires and wheels safely?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrar97
    Is there a product that can do both tires and wheels safely?

Yes, car wash soap. Wheel cleaners are for wheels that aren`t maintained or cars with extremely dusty wheels. If you keep a good sealant on the wheels, soap and water should be fine, even on a performance car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    Yes, car wash soap. Wheel cleaners are for wheels that aren`t maintained or cars with extremely dusty wheels. If you keep a good sealant on the wheels, soap and water should be fine, even on a performance car.

Huh, never really tried using my sorta-strong shampoo mix (which I use on wheels/etc.) on the tires :think: But then again, I let mine get awfully bad between washes, so maybe I oughta stick with the Griot`s Rubber Cleaner.

If somebody`s using an appropriate APC (the green 3D stuff comes to mind), it oughta work OK on both the wheels and tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wash my vehicle all the time...often using ONR weekly when it hasn`t been driven in the rain at all. I always do my wheels at this time, but pass over the tires; therefore, they build up crap. Maybe I just need to do the tires too.

Post Thanks / Like
    As long as you use a water based tire protectant, you should be fine. I only reach for a dedicated tire cleaner when I`ve been playing with a solvent based product.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a new F150 Platinum that has the polished aluminum wheels. I don`t know if they have a coating (clearcoat) of some sort or not. On painted/cleared wheels, I`ve always used something basic like Simple Green to clean my tires, and it always gets on the wheels too. I`m afraid that product (or those like it) may haze these polished wheels. Does anyone know the proper product to be using on this wheel?
    First things first!

First, take a clean, white terry cloth towel and some mild automotive polish and gently polish a small area that is not where you would notice a big difference.

If, when you do this "polish test", look to see if you have a "black" residue on the towel.

Should you see the black on the towel, they are NOT clearcoated, and one must be willing to use a mild soap and water only. Plus, if "NOT" clearcoated, be prepared to obtain a good mag/aluminum polish and polish them at least twice a year.

Now, "no black residue", then they are powder coated clear wheels. With that known, you may then use almost any wheel cleaner on them.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like
    Great...I`ll do that test tonight to see what they are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great...I`ll do that test tonight to see what they are.

Do it *very* conservatively. I`m going with "cleared!" here, and you don`t want your test to mess things up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    As long as you use a water based tire protectant, you should be fine..[washing tires with car shampoo]..

Ah, OK..I do use Z16. But again, mine get awfully dirty between washes Gross brown sudsy foam on `em when I`m scrubbing, brush gets incredibly filthy.

Thread Information