Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m currently trying to figure out if I`m going to buy a spotlight or a headlamp. I was curious to know which would be more useful to the weekend detailer.

So which one can`t you live w/o?

Post Thanks / Like
    I can`t really narrow it down to *one* light as IMO there`s no single (type of) lighting that adequately covers al the bases.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    I can`t really narrow it down to *one* light as IMO there`s no single (type of) lighting that adequately covers al the bases.

If you were me, the weekend detailer, has a white car, so will be operating in a low light environment garage, which one would you have on hand?

I like the brinkman bc of its versatility and price point... I like the Fenix HP11 for its functionality/usefullness. It stays on my head, it has several brightness modes, and I can constantly monitor my work without having to drop the tools.

Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly my one light would be my halogen lights. You can set it bac to light up the car bright enough to work on an hold it up close to check for anything that needs to be corrected yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve found this 5000K single diode LED to really show the swirls on most colors EcoSmart 18-Watt (90W) Day Light 5000K PAR38 DayLight LED Light Bulb (1-Pack)-ECS 38 CW FL 120 at The Home Depot You may have trouble finding this exact bulb so just look for a single diode, 5000K, 90-100w equivalent LED--I know Lowes has a couple.

In order to make it easy to use I found a photo light stand and socket for about $18 including shipping--

On some light colors I`ll use a 6500K 100W CFL in the stand--it`s allot like the lights at the gas station at night that seem to show up every little flaw.

Post Thanks / Like
    You have a link for that stand, pretty nice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Shane--Here`s the stand ::: Best Seller! Juliusstudio.com ::: Top Quality Aluminum Alloy Adjustable Light Stand and the socket ::: Best Seller! Juliusstudio.com ::: High Quality AC Swivel Adapter, Light Socket - Accessories - Continuous Lighting

The LED weighs 1.5 lbs and the socket perhaps 1 lb--the stand is rated to handle 5 lbs, but with the LED bulb it is a little top heavy so I throw a small sand bag over one of the support rods just so I don`t knock it over. They also have a socket that will hold 2 bulbs, but then you`d need to get one of their heavier duty stands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Won`t go anywhere w/o my Brinkman. I`ve had issues seeing the real deal under halogens on some paints. Just doesn`t look deep into the paint enough. More or less bleaches certain defects out.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    If I just hol it straight up to the paint it will flood out defects usually, but if I move it around and look at different angles it works good.

If you can find 4300k bulbs that would probably be the best bet as it`s the closest to daylight color and the brightest in the spectrum. If you go higher try get bluer and lower yellow I believe. 5000k is damn close though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Husky at home depot.

This one and two of the smaller ones are working for me. I also wear a ledlenser h7r so I can see what isn`t covered by the other three. The best situation IMHO is where you have no indirect light. Contrast shows flaws, indirect lighting is like a cloudy day.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    For me, it`s the Sun...

Post Thanks / Like
    I have my Birnkmann and Finex TK15 for spot checking. I liked using halogens for lighting up the sides of the car, but my work area has been shrinking lately and I find they are in the way a lot of the time, thus I don`t use them much now.

I did just buy this headlamp to try out and I can post back my thoughts next week.

LED Lenser 880044 H14 LED Headlamp, Blue/Black - Amazon.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peacemaker
    If you were me, the weekend detailer, has a white car, so will be operating in a low light environment garage, which one would you have on hand?

Noting that I do have a white car, for an "only one" light to spot marring, I`d probably go with my incandescent trouble light.

BUT...I haven`t tried LEDs yet, and that might work just as well.

BUT#2, IMO everybody oughta have at least one halogen work light. You can find `em on sale now and then at prices that are pretty reasonable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Noting that I do have a white car, for an "only one" light to spot marring, I`d probably go with my incandescent trouble light.

BUT...I haven`t tried LEDs yet, and that might work just as well.

BUT#2, IMO everybody oughta have at least one halogen work light. You can find `em on sale now and then at prices that are pretty reasonable.

Yeah, I am going to try to get my hands on at least one of those for my next detail. I used one last time, it was very useful. A stand would make a big difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    They`re 11.97 at wal mart. No reason not to have one or 2. At that low of a price you should be able to get one for a work light then another light that`s better suited to seeing imperfections.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information