Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    So I have decided that I am tired of washing and damaging my vehicle(s) with the crap at Autozone, etc. So I am going to purchase all my NEEDED items upfront since I have a little extra cash flow these days. I have two vehicles, 2013 Kia Soul in White (wife`s) and my 1998 Dodge Dakota in Red. The Soul is in great condition (few months old) while the Dakota is in dire need of correction (clearcoat peeling everywhere and slight-deep scratches) Can you critique what I have listed?

Grit Guard: The Grit Guard Insert - 2 Pack

Car Wash Soap: Griots Garage Car Wash 16 oz

Wash Mitt: Merino Wool Wash Mitt

Drying: The Guzzler Waffle Weave by Cobra 16 x 24

Clay: HD Advanced Decontamination Clay Bar

DA Polisher: HF 6" Variable Speed Dual Action Polisher

BS Backing Plate: Buff and Shine 5" Flexible DA

Cutting: HD-Cut

Polish: HD-Polish

Sealant: HD Poxy

LSP: FinishKare`s FK1000P

QD: FinishKare`s 425 31 oz

Interior: 1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium Interior Plastic Cleaner 16.9 oz

Carpet: Folex

Thoughts? any item or category duplicated?

Post Thanks / Like
    The HF polisher mentioned is fine and will do the job for you, however, by the time you buy a new backing plate, pads etc you`ll have spent at least a $100 so why not consider the HD Polisher Kit from our sponsor here 3D International, LLC :: Buffing Pads and DA Polisher :: HD Polisher Kit It comes with a quality 5" backing plate, 3 pads, carrying case, 2 MF towels and a bottle of HD Speed that works great as a finishing step after HD Cut and Polish. Add a few additional pads and your on your way-HD pads seem to be the same as B&S.

Take a look at the CarPro Merino Wool Mitt--works great and reasonably priced--(see above in the Carpro sponsored area)

HD Poxy is a hybrid Sealant/wax LSP--how will it play with the FK1000K in your plan??

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe the Dakota is going to need a re-paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pwaug
    The HF polisher mentioned is fine and will do the job for you, however, by the time you buy a new backing plate, pads etc you`ll have spent at least a $100 [/url] It comes with a quality 5" backing plate, 3 pads, carrying case, 2 MF towels and a bottle of HD Speed that works great as a finishing step after HD Cut and Polish. Add a few additional pads and your on your way-HD pads seem to be the same as B&S.

HD Poxy is a hybrid Sealant/wax LSP--how will it play with the FK1000K in your plan??

HF total price is $47 before tax (with coupon) backing plate is $15 then price of pads will equal up to $100 quite fast. Damn! Pads are like $12-18 a piece right?

Would you recommend HD Poxy over FK1000k then?

Quote Originally Posted by John Styrnol
    I believe the Dakota is going to need a re-paint.

More than likely, there is still some paint that can be corrected. I guess it will be a polished turd for the time being?

Post Thanks / Like
    Pads cost $6-8 each depending on where you buy them--5 packs of B&S can be had for about $30 including shipping. My estimates were based on Polisher $47, BP $15, 3 Pads $18, 2 MF $6, Case $10 (at least), 16 oz HD Speed $15 = $111

Never used FK1000 but seems to be a long lasting sealant--I get 3-4 months out of Poxy on a garage kept DD--I don`t know how the two play together.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been reading about the HD products and they sound very nice, I would just stick with them and also get there QD. I would get a bigger WW at least 24x36.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn`t mix Poxy and FK1000P. Poxy is a bit oily, there are likely to be bonding problems, especially if you get a hard batch of FK, which seems to be more common than not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyAl3x
    any item or category duplicated?

....you have Poxy and FK1000P on your list which are both LSPs. I would choose one or the other as suggested. I really like FK1000P for a number of reasons but Poxy may be the way to go if you`re interested in trying out the HD line.

….and the following is just my two cents but I wouldn`t write off OTC products all together. There are still plenty (IMO/IME) that hold up well to online/boutique brands. As an example, I still prefer Duragloss CWC as one of my “go to†soaps and I still love their Aquawax. Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer is nearly on par (again IMO/IME) with 1Z Cockpit Premium yet more economical especially if you buy it by the gallon (which is available under their Detailer label). Shopping online certainly opens the door to a larger variety of great products you won`t find locally but there are a few gems you can still find sold at B&M stores as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, I agree with Kean, lots of VERY good OTC stuff out there if you do your research.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kean
    ....you have Poxy and FK1000P on your list which are both LSPs. I would choose one or the other as suggested. I really like FK1000P for a number of reasons but Poxy may be the way to go if you`re interested in trying out the HD line..

While I will *not* knock Poxy, I`d sure hate to be without FK1000P. I never have gotten around to trying my bottle of Poxy but I`m using the FK on three of my vehicles and will probably start using it on a few others.

The Poxy might have it beat for looks, but most of the time I`m all about protection and durability and for me that means FK1000P.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great information from everyone. I`ve done a little research probably not enough that includes articles, videos, and demonstrations. I guess the "research" is not enough yet (FK1000p & Poxy listed).

Regardless, the information that has been presented here is invaluable. I might switch over to FK1000P since it has been tried and true. Not really sure yet. The remaining items are practically in the cart!

I`m not knocking the OTC, but a newcomer would more than likely purchase the shiniest label or the "New and Improved Formula!". Does Autozone/Pepboys carry the Megs Quik Interior Detailer by the gallon? I`m going to swing by their during lunch and get the soap and hopefully the interior detailer.

Can anyone recommend a great introductory video on DA polishing and correction? I`ve watched quite a few just checking to see if I have overlooked a gem (Gary Dean, Ammo guy, Scott Hair, and EsotericAutoDetail)

Post Thanks / Like
    Where are you located? Maybe someone local can help you in person for a more hands on experience.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Fergy-

Your only as good as your last detail

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyAl3x

Does Autozone/Pepboys carry the Megs Quik Interior Detailer by the gallon? I`m going to swing by their during lunch and get the soap and hopefully the interior detailer.

Al, welcome aboard!

I`m going to suggest you identify and establish a relationship with your local body shop supply store. Many of them carry the Meguiar`s (pro) products and I always ask for a discount off list price. They have no problem accomodating. The larger businesses often have the items I seek in inventory. Worst case they order and get the stuff next day and I pick it up from them. E-z, p-z !

Post Thanks / Like
    mrclrider, I live in Augusta, Ga

Tom, lol. I`ll try!

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe add in 1z "Plastic Deep Cleaner" for any heavier dirt on interior pieces. Stuff works great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information