Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, considering trying out optimum no rinse

i have mobility problems, and even with cr spotless system lugging around a hose is tough

with optimum no rinse, is it necessary to work from top to bottom of the car? - for me that means a lot more moving around the car

i`ve read that ONR encapsulates the dirt and falls to the bottom of the bucket, so not quite understanding why it is recommended to start at top and work down?

i was thinking about trying to work around the car in one round, including tires / rims,

i could still sort of work top-down, but it would be only part of the car, e.g. half or quarter of the roof, and the proceed down to the area i`m closest too ... but i would wash rims / tire and then move to another area of the car

if there is some legitimate reason to work top-down, would an acceptable alternative be two ONR buckets and two mitts, one for higher areas, other for lower areas of panels, and rims/tires? ... or ... pretreat / presoak lower panels / rims

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Working top-down is recommended no matter what the wash media, so once a panel is completed dirt that runs from panels above don`t run down over what you just cleaned. Also, the bottoms of cars are usually more dirty than the top, so keeping the very bottom for last avoids taking any of that dirt to the higher panels & marring the finish.

As long as you don`t create more work for yourself by having to re-clean what you`ve already done, & you don`t drag dirt from the bottom of the vehicle up higher, I would think you would be good to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe it is mostly to keep water from dripping to panels you`ve already cleaned. If you are really careful about water dripping it would not really matter.

I usually do:

Hood

Bumper

front QP

roof

front and rear windows

side

trunk

side

Done!

Works fine for me. Just find a system that works and stick to it.
    Auto Detailing in Marion, Illinois
    www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Starting from the top down is about keeping the dirtiest stuff for last. All this is a moot point if you use the ingenious "Garry Dean" wash method with ONR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Start at the hood on one side, go around the car once, top to bottom each area you in front of. Fastest and most thorough way I`ve found.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    Start at the hood on one side, go around the car once, top to bottom each area you in front of. Fastest and most thorough way I`ve found.

Thanks Scott, I will try this out.

I`ve seen various youtube demos of ONR, and after a while the solution looks pretty murky from all the dirt released back into it. I`ve seen two bucket methods, but any tips on one-bucket method and do you find it still safe even when solution gets this way? or, do you use fresh solution when its starts getting black?

Post Thanks / Like
    I do have a grit guard in my bucket and yes, the ONR solution can become "disfigured" for lack of a better term...well, there is a better term, but it`s early.

Anyway, as ONR works to encapsulate the particles, same goes in the bucket in my eyes. particles are in the bucket so it appears "dirty," however, they are locked into the solution. I dip my towel in and will brush it a bit with my fingers if worried and then squeeze out the excess water so it`s not slopping water all over.

In your situation, if it`s easier, spray some solution on a panel, wipe with the towel and dry. Maybe do the mid section of the car one weekend and the top portion on the next weekend. This way, you are not moving up and down on the same day.

Rob
    Robert and Susan Regan

Towel Pros Microfiber

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ybajwa
    Thanks all for the replies!

Thanks Scott, I will try this out.

I`ve seen various youtube demos of ONR, and after a while the solution looks pretty murky from all the dirt released back into it. I`ve seen two bucket methods, but any tips on one-bucket method and do you find it still safe even when solution gets this way? or, do you use fresh solution when its starts getting black?

If you follow Scott`s suggestion and use Gary Deans method http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...d-finally.html this shouldn`t be a problem as you never put a dirty towel back into the solution.

Post Thanks / Like

Coming from *you* that oughta be pretty definitive

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Coming from *you* that oughta be pretty definitive

Probably washed over 12,000 cars now with first QEW and since around 2005, ONR.

Single bucket method works fine. If the car is particularly filthy, I empty out the bucket halfway through and refill it and add more ONR.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks!

Gary Deans method is also really smart. I may try that out , and possibly something similar can work for interiors?

Is there anything ONR isn`t safe on? Leather?

Post Thanks / Like
    I use ONR dampened towels to wipe down interiors all the time and its great for cleaning make-up off steering wheels.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I use ONR dampened towels to wipe down interiors all the time and its great for cleaning make-up off steering wheels.

+1

I got the headliner ONR cleaning technique from you and have never looked back. If Scott says ONR can do it, you can take it to the bank.
    Auto Detailing in Marion, Illinois
    www.visualprodetailing.com

Thread Information