Post Thanks / Like
    For those that have used the ETR kit on *new* trim, coloration/gloss factor wise, how much in color or gloss does it add to *new* semi-sheen *new black* trim.

I`m looking at the ETR for it`s touted abilities of locking/sealing/preventing UV fade, however, I`m not looking to make the trim more glossy or black than it already is...

Post Thanks / Like
    It gives it a new trim look thats about all i can say, semi matte gloss is added maybe depending on trim. I have the kit and LOVE it. New car prep is an amazing solvent!

Post Thanks / Like
    When first applied, perhaps for up to a month, there may be a higher gloss than original. After a short time, it will become a more "satin" gloss and hold that for several years.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like
    Regulars here know that I`m a fan of the ETRII kit, but I wouldn`t use it on new/nearly new/already nice trim; I just use it for * E T restoration*. Yeah, I know...the UV protection, but I have zero trouble keeping my exterior trim nice with less intensive measures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Yeah, I know...the UV protection, but I have zero trouble keeping my exterior trim nice with less intensive measures.

I`ve always dressed trim....but eventually it does fade. I was interested in the *video* that says it will lock it in and prevent fading from onset for several years. However, I don`t want satin trim to look semi-gloss IF after using the ETR kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jsoto
    I`ve always dressed trim....but eventually it does fade. I was interested in the *video* that says it will lock it in and prevent fading from onset for several years. However, I don`t want satin trim to look semi-gloss IF after using the ETR kit.

The pieces I`ve done *did* turn out semi-gloss, maybe more glossy than that. One of the things that gives me pause about ETR (hope that doesn`t sound all negative) is that with the UV protectant being a sacrificial layer and its appearance changing...well, I don`t *want* appearance changes :think:

So for my exterior trim I almost always just use a LSP-based approach. Now I don`t park outside all that much any more, but I`ve never had the trim-fade problem as long as I kept up with redoing the trim as needed (not nearly as often as with dressings).

I *did* park my Volvo wagon outside 24/7/52 and I kept all its trim looking fine with very little effort using primarily Klasse AIO and Collinite 845. Had I known about ValuGard`s Fast Finish back then it woulda been even easier!

I`d at least give that a try. Clean/prep with something like KAIO or Griot`s Rubber Prep (love that stuff). Apply 845. (Alternative to KAIO + 845 is Ultima`s Tire and Trim Guard, which IMO/IME works even better!)

Then when you wash, give a little spritz of Fast Finish on your drying towel when you dry the trim (you might like doing that on the rest of the vehicle too). It`s just *so* quick and easy and I simply love how it looks.

I`m currently just starting to experiment with GArry Dean`s Beyond Infinity Sealant, using it on the trim I`ve previously treated with Ultima and/or Fast Finish. So far that`s working fine too.

Post Thanks / Like
    The finish produced it the same as a new vehicle that is a couple of months old. New trim parts will "calm down" on the shine after a month or so, when no "dressing" is applied. The reason is that the release agents used in the mold when produced are what gives that first "gloss shine".

With a month or so of exporsure to elements, washes, etc, the release agent (not an internal release agent, that is different and ETR will not adhere to those parts, nothing will), goes away.

Once the ETR is done and cured, if one wishes that shine, just apply the Fast Finish when you do your washes. You can use the Fast Finish on the trim, paint, chrome, etc, it will not "white out" and once cured or set, allowed to dry, will hold up very well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless I am looking at this wrong, the same out tires bloom over time, I expect trim to *car is exposed 24/7*. So any dressing applied is just topical dressing (makeup), but the exposure still causes the trim to fade underneath the makeup.

Unless ETR is something more special.

I mean if it`s just a glorified sealer for new trim (not doing trim restoration on older fatigured trim), then will any sealer product do just as well. In that case, I have all sorts of sealers in my stash

Post Thanks / Like
    ETR is not a dressing if thats what your saying. Not even close!

Post Thanks / Like
    No. In ref. to Accul success with dressings . UTTG IMO is more a dressing , and actually, I prefer Z16 than UTTG.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham

Once the ETR is done and cured, if one wishes that shine, just apply the Fast Finish when you do your washes. You can use the Fast Finish on the trim, paint, chrome, etc, it will not "white out" and once cured or set, allowed to dry, will hold up very well.

Hey Ron -

Got any good pics in your autoint wikipedia of pics ;-)

I`m not looking to add extra shine to the new trim. I just want to seal it....and prevent the inevitable oxidation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope, but I suggest that if you haven`t already, visit their website, valugard.net and read in the Engineers Section the various technical bulletins by vehicle manufacturers who require the use of the system.

The ColorGard is what brings back a new coating of the black, the UV-Gard is what is so important to make it last for years, as proven by those manufacturers who issued the bulletins. They put it through their labs accelerated testing protocals. It out lasted the new factory parts for not fading, etc. In the normal, according to their tests results, it will last 5 years plus.

Let`s see any of these other "greatest since sliced bread" products produce such documentation by vehicle manufacturers or have their`s required for "warranty" repairs by the car companies.

That pretty much says it all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any ETR users have any pics on trim...Sofar, the only pics I see are are autoints site.

And or more feedback on the look/sheen it imparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jsoto
    No. In ref. to Accul success with dressings . UTTG IMO is more a dressing , and actually, I prefer Z16 than UTTG.

I`ve used Z16 on exterior trim, tried it on the Volvo that I parked outside all the time. Only tried it once as it sure didn`t work out well enough to repeat. Typical "temporary dressing" results (like any other good "tire slime" product as I call `em), not at all in the same category as sealants like UTTG or LSPS like 845, or layered KSG (which also works well on trim if you want to bother with the layering). Oh, and I did OK trying FK1000P for this too (used it on the Yukon XLD`s trim), but the potential for white-staining is so significant that I don`t really recommend that anybody else try it.

I`ve never tried UTTG on tires, but on trim, including rubber, it has simply amazed me. As I said, a little spritz of Fast Finish over it when drying and the stuff lasts for ages with zero apparent degradation.

As for the concern that "trim will fade under the [product]", if you use the right stuff the product acts like a sacrificial layer and the trim itself never gets appreciably degraded. I like letting the FastFinish be the sacrificial product.

At the very least, IMO everybody oughta at least *try* using Fast Finish. If you do it at every wash (while drying, no big effort) it`ll at least beat the typical dressing approaches. Hey, I wasn`t expecting to become a Fast Finish fanboy :grinno: It took some free samples (at Ron Ketcham`s insistance) before I even tried the stuff..."eh, a QD on trim?!? Spare me..." Oh man was I wrong about that!

Heh heh.... I can imagine Beth at AI getting a scad of requests for FastFinish samples :chuckle: Oughta work out fine for them as I believe that "once you try it..."

Thread Information