Post Thanks / Like
    Do you guys feel that a product branded as a *rubber cleaner* is more SUITED for tires - aka, does it remove less of it`s blooming/anti oxident, yadda, yadda agents ?

I`m a stickler when using products NOT only on wheels but the runoff that might occur on the bottom tire as the product seeps down.....expensive wheels, expensive tires......

When I`m using something remotely harsh, I will rinse the bottom of the tire....regardless of whatever is dwelling on the wheel.

I used to use APC all the time on tires. Then I changed Mindsets and have been using Griots Rubber Cleaner & or Mothers Rubber Cleaner (whatever is at my disposal) just because it is coined-worded as a rubber cleaner. Both are fairly mild --- soap does not OOZ brown stuff like APC....

Anybody else only using *rubber cleaner* on tires just because it`s a *rubber cleaner*

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chefwong
    Anybody else only using *rubber cleaner* on tires just because it`s a *rubber cleaner*

Yeah, I generally just use the GG Rubber Cleaner too. Awfully mild stuff, but I`m usually OK with leaving a little dirt if it also means I don`t have to re-Z16 the tires every single wash.

Now whether it really is "better" for the tires, or whether I`m just falling for some BS marketing...well, that I don`t know :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently replaced the tires on my wife`s `08 Forester. IIRC, they were on her car for about 2 years. I had routinely used APC`s like Meguiars APC+ or an OTC cleaner like Eagle One A2Z for occasional more thorough cleanings. I never noticed before but I did see some mild cracking near the beads on each of the sidewalls. However, after closer inspection, I also saw the same cracking between the tread blocks (an area I never treated on those tires). If the chemicals I`m using are causing issues, I guess I just haven`t kept a set of tires around long enough to notice any problems. ....or ones that I have noticed issues with would not have damage isolated to the treated area as in my example. The tires on my newest project car also have the same problem (cracking all over).

Post Thanks / Like
    Kean- Huh, that`s something. And after only two years too! My tires are generally so old that they, uhm...[insert the issue of age and tire safety here]... yet I`ve only had *one* set of tires that ever cracked and those did it after a short period of time just like yours. I blamed the tires in that case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Never heard of rubber cleaner before. Like in another thread I mentioned I used ONR. I just replaced my tires with the same model/brand. I got 75,000 and 8 years out of them and that is with nothing done to them in the last 4 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Kean- Huh, that`s something. And after only two years too! My tires are generally so old that they, uhm...[insert the issue of age and tire safety here]... yet I`ve only had *one* set of tires that ever cracked and those did it after a short period of time just like yours. I blamed the tires in that case.

yeah... They were the Yokahama YK520`s that I bought through America`s Tire. I replaced them with YK580`s which are the successor to the now discontinued 520`s. I`ll need to go back through my maintenance records but I`m pretty sure it was two years. ....I don’t believe it was too much more than that. The cracking was very subtle which is why I hadn`t noticed it earlier. It was a first for me too with tires that were not that old. Now that I`m thinking about it, I should have checked the manufacture date on those before I had them replaced (just out of curiosity).

That`s on my wife`s car. On my weekend vehicles I`ve had, I usually burn through tires within a year but most of those have been soft, summer compounds. I`m on the 3rd set of tires in 3 years on my Challenger and I only have about 45k on the odo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kean- Sounds like your cars are out having fun...as opposed to sitting around doing nothing like mine usually do

Post Thanks / Like
    3D`s Yellow Degreaser is a dedicated tire cleaner. Not the best option for interiors btw.

3D Yellow Degreaser™ is a highly concentrated NON-ACIDIC CLEANER that is designed to work exceptionally well on wheels, tires & wheel wells. Powerful cleaning agents quickly dissolves and breaks down heavy metallic particulate that bonds to your vehicle’s wheels every time it drives down the road. These brake dust particles can reap havoc on your wheel’s delicate coating if not regularly cleaned. Yellow Degreaser’s unique non-acid formula is perfectly safe for all wheels types including coated, chrome, painted, wire, plastic and stainless steel. Even delicate non-coated alloy wheels which are prone to blushing and staining will not be harmed when cleaned as directed.

Not only does Yellow Degreaser work great on wheels, but also tires too. Especially white walls & raised white lettering. Simply spray it on and immediately watch as the embedded dirt comes pouring out of your tire. Perfect for Car Washes looking for a non-acidic product that can eliminate hard scrubbing to reduce this labor intensive process. No other cleaner works quite like this without excessive effort. Yellow Degreaser offers super strength cleaning power, especially when you’re trying to remove silicone soiling that tires are often coated with. More powerful cleaning agents equate to less scrubbing and more profits for your detail business. No other non-acidic cleaner works as quickly or cost effectively.

With Yellow Degreaser, there is no need for multiple cleaners to clean your wheels, tires & wheel wells. This cleaner can single handedly take care of all these heavy cleaning projects with ease and safety. Not only does this cleaner out perform any other non-acidic cleaner on the market, it also contains NO harmful chemicals such as glycol ether EB, yet it is more powerful than most commercial degreasers that contain this toxic chemical. Whether you’re a car wash or detail shop business owner you can rest assured knowing that Yellow Degreaser will not harm your client’s vehicles or your employee’s heath. In addition, Yellow Degreaser is 100% biodegradable and earth friendly.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Until I can try the 3D stuff, what I go with is 3 apps & scrubs of Griot`s RC. I know it`s not hurting the wheels. Next level up, if that won`t do it is Meg`s Apc medium mix.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Megs #40. I like it but everyones taste is different....

Post Thanks / Like
    i`ve use the gg rubber cleaner, hi-temps tire cleaner and have some 3d yellow tire cleaner (haven`t tried it yet). so far all have work well for me to this point. the strongest tire cleaner i`ve ever tried was westley`s tire bleach, man this stuff is wicked, also probably bad for you (haven`t used it in yearssss). so far for the best bang for the buck goes to hi-temp stuff, but this maybe subject change after trying the 3d stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Best cleaner I`ve used, and it`s nice and gentle too, is the somewhat pricey Griot`s Rubber Prep. [Freakin`] miracle product that IMO everybody oughta have on the shelf.

Oh...and when buying tires, check the manufacture date. The first two digits are the week and the second two are the year.

Post Thanks / Like
    How is the Griot`s Rubber Prep? I have used Griots Rubber Cleaner which I like on tires and my rubber floor mats. Every spring I will use westley`s tire bleach for a deep scrubbing then use Griots Rubber Cleaner for the rest of the year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mothers Back to Black Tire Cleaner (intended just for tires) works for me on tire brown where typical APC`s just more effort. It is a wipe on/wipe off type cleaner.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Thread Information