Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Griots Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    How has your experience been with these products? I bought some interior detailing and some leather condition (I think it cleans and conditions all in one step). Looking forward to using it on my new benz.

Post Thanks / Like
    They have some standouts, the Wheel Cleaner, the Speed Detailer and Spray Wax, and some rather average products. You may want to do some more reading on leather care as your new leather probably does not need any sort of conditioner since it is sealed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    They have some standouts, the Wheel Cleaner, the Speed Detailer and Spray Wax, and some rather average products. You may want to do some more reading on leather care as your new leather probably does not need any sort of conditioner since it is sealed.

It is new to me. Got a steal on it for really low miles but it is a 08 C350. You said this is sealed leather....don`t use any product on it?

Post Thanks / Like
    CBlakeNS- The short version (the long version would take a book...) is that most "leather conditioners" are a bad idea on most leather interiors. I`ve used GG Leather stuff before and let`s just say that it doesn`t get used on my Audis or my Tahoe.

On remotely-modern leather interiors, I just keep `em clean and maybe protect them with stuff from LeatherMasters or, better yet, Leather Doctor ("draggy feel" on steering wheels/shifters, "buttery feel" on seats/etc.). But 99% of maintaining today`s leather interiors is the "keep it clean" and most conditioners are just more slimy [crap] that oughta be cleaned off. More likely to harbor dirt than to do anything helpful IMO.

Their Interior Cleaner is OK, if a bit mild. But oddly enough, somebody here had it "clean" the lettering off of some interior controls...and that was on a Benz too. Never did it for me, and I`ve used it on plenty of MB cars, but you`d still better be a little careful. Overall I do like that product, but since I`ve tried the HD "green colored" APC I`ve been using the GG less and less.

Post Thanks / Like
    Appreciate the heads up. I typically keep my car very clean. It is mostly just the sun beating down on the dash and vinyl and stuff so I want to make sure it is protected. I will hold off on the Mostly it is just dust and stuff that needs to be wiped out and a good vacuum so nothing too extreme.

Post Thanks / Like
    Even with the sun...today`s interiors are pretty tough and the glass filters out most of the UV. For wiping off dust/etc. I *really* like both Meguiar`s Interior QD and 1Z`s Cockpit Premium. They give a nice "clean sheen" to leather too, and these two products are the stuff I most commonly use on all my interiors.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used Griot`s Interior Cleaner on my Mercedes ML350 since I bought it new 10 months ago and it has cleaned everything very well (a no harm to lettering so far). I like their wheel cleaner, Speed Shine, Clay bar, car wash shampoo and Spray Wax, as well as the interior cleaner. I also use the Griot`s 6" electric polisher and it is excellent in every way - one of the best from what I have heard and read, although it is the first and only polisher I have ever owned. I also love to use the polisher with their white glass polishing pad which makes the glass virtually disappear. I recently ordered their Professional Paste Wax and I am looking forward to trying it. I don`t think Griot`s has the reputation for making the very best detailing products on an item by item basis. That is to say there are probably better sealants, quick detailers, etc. out there but as a whole line they are more than adequate across the full range of detailing. They are not unreasonable in price and you can buy many of the products locally at Advance Auto. All in all you won`t be disappointed with Griot. BTW, if you want great interior UV protection look no further than Protectant 303.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I used the interior detailer today and it seemed to work great. I also picked up some Duragloss Vynil and Leather spray that I wanted to try out as well. Has anyone used this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the seats and interior of my car

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used Griots products for years. Mostly on old things where I wanted a safety margin. They do have a margin built in for the hobbiest non pro.

The interior cleaner may not be the strongest but with effort it does the job. The good thing is you don`t have to worry about proper dilution and risk damage.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Griot`s was my first experience in the world of quality detailing products. They did well for me, for the most part, but the detailing world continues to evolve. So many products out there.

I still have some "keepers" from their line.

I still use their car wash shampoo. I use it in my foam gun when I wash, and I still use a mix of it with water as a clay lube.

I received their random-orbit (Porter Cable) polisher as a Christmas present from my "ex" 15 years ago, and it is still going. Though, it`s been years since it was in their catalog. Don`t know how the new polishers in the catalog are doing. If I needed one, and one of the new models could match what I have, I`d go there in a moment.

I do have, and use, the Interior Cleaner. In fact, I use it as a spot cleaner for the carpet in my apartment, as well. And, as I still have some Speed Shine left. I keep a small bottle of it, and a microfiber towel in the trunk during "bird poop season," which is about to begin here.

Griot`s has, or at least had, a "no-fuss" return policy. IMHO, one would need to ask Accumulator about that ; )

I guess that I would say that Griot`s still has products that are worth using. Plus, sometimes it is sometimes not so much the product, but it is the person using it. I think that detailing products have evolved towards "user-friendliness," probably due in part to fools like me.

Post Thanks / Like
    The interior cleaner seemed to work well all over the car yesterday. I didn`t have any issues with it. The only other product I have bought from them was the leather cleaner/conditioner but then I realized after some research that the seats in the car at vinyl coated so do not require this maintenance. Anyways, the only other item I would be interested in was like the speed shine or the wheel cleaner. However, on the wheels I have just been trying to stick with soap and water since I wash it quite a bit anyways I know the build up will not be too terrible. I used the foam eagle 1 wheel cleaner for a long time on my grand cherokee and it worked spectacular. However, I noticed after awhile when the wheels were clean they had a dull look to them. I do not know if they just needed to be polished up or what but I did not want the same thing to happen to these wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Virtually all wheels are coated/painted. Treat them like your paint. No real need for wheel cleaner particuarly on a regular basis. With that said, I did just recently try their HD wheel cleaner on a really hammered set of Acura rims that would not come clean from baked in brake dust. It reminded me of IronX and worked very well. I like thier car wash, long lasting tire shine, speed shine amongst others. I have tried, most likely, every product they have ever made. Overall, if you want to stick to one and one only product line they make some good products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CBlakeNS
    How has your experience been with these products? I bought some interior detailing and some leather condition (I think it cleans and conditions all in one step). Looking forward to using it on my new benz.

You might want to take a look at Optimum Protectant Plus Optimum Leather Protectant, 17 oz. (a.k.a. Protectant Plus) - Optimum Cleans and adds UV protection to leather an vinyl with no oils or creams. This and an occasional mist of distilled water(on the leather) has kept my leather looking great and very soft. It`s simple to use also since it can be used on both. If the leather gets really soiled I`ll use some mild APC once a year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hey, Moe!
    ..Griot`s has, or at least had, a "no-fuss" return policy. IMHO, one would need to ask Accumulator about that ; ) ...

Heh heh, I must`ve made an impression, huh? :chuckle:

I think that detailing products have evolved towards "user-friendliness," probably due in part to fools like me...

I`d question that self-characterization

Good to see you posting :wavey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information