Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    1Z Blitz to clean ever window slat by hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    ONR for all my windows. Invisible Glass for the bathroom mirrors. After cleaning the toilet, sink, and faucet, I put on a coat of Liquid Lustre for some shine. Wife thinks I`m crazy, but she likes the way it looks. Also use it for my chrome shower rod. The curtain glides back and forth with ease...

Then if I get real bored, I bust out the DA for the shower walls...:boxing:

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys, I`m new here, a homemaker looking for info on steam cleaners so I can make a wise purchase. I`m confused by this thread because I would think you`d use your steam cleaners, especially around the house. Don`t they take care of most of these problems without chemicals? Or have I been misled by pie-in-the-sky sales pitches??

Post Thanks / Like
    Ms. Klutzy, first off, welcome aboard!

Yes, steam cleaners are highly effective at myriad tasks around the home and in the garage. However, a real steam cleaner costs real money. I`ve got a cheapie thing, maybe $40, that I have used in the home and on the car. it does work but the steam output is fairly small and would never suffice for any sort of heavy-duty use. Sure, for use a couple times a year, it`s adequate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PiPUK
    I have seen this discussed elsewhere and whilst I do not object to people using multifunctional products, some car should be taken. The most notable problem is that very few automotive products are remotely bactericidal. My experience in the UK is that most of those on detailing forums have little realisation of this - detailing products will clean, but they won`t kill bacteria or bugs. Even on vehicles, a lot of people will routinely clean the likes of algae or mildew with an APC only to find it comes back a month later because they failed to kill it. The same is true in the house and it is probably more important. In the likes of the kitchen or bathroom, it is remiss not to use a bactericidal product because these areas are filled with bacteria and germs and most automotive products will manage only to remove soiling, not kill the bugs. This is especially important if you have children because they are much worse at washing hands, licking fingers etc.

So my advice is to go ahead with detailing products where germs are not a problem, but where germs may breed, get a product which is designed for that purpose.

Bacteria is everywhere. It was here before you were born, it will be hear after you are dead, in fact, it will help get rid of your remains. And without it, you`d be dead. Spraying everything with an anti-bacterial spray does what?

In certain instances, you certainly should use an anti-bacterial product, but wholesale use, waste of money and agruably cause more resilient bacteria strains.

Antibacterial soap has no benefits over normal soap - York News-Times: News

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tom p.
    Ms. Klutzy, first off, welcome aboard!

Yes, steam cleaners are highly effective at myriad tasks around the home and in the garage..

Same responses from me!

And yeah, for a home-use steamer you can get by with a *lot*less power than I want/need in the detailing shop. My "wasn`t potent enough" steamer is still the one I usually use for household jobs as opposed to the "sufficiently powerful for detailing nasty stuff" one that I have in the shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Same responses from me!

And yeah, for a home-use steamer you can get by with a *lot*less power than I want/need in the detailing shop. My "wasn`t potent enough" steamer is still the one I usually use for household jobs as opposed to the "sufficiently powerful for detailing nasty stuff" one that I have in the shop.

Love the direct injection on my D`pray. My next one will be diesel powered. I am just smatten with how *volume* wins in steam application

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    Bacteria is everywhere. It was here before you were born, it will be hear after you are dead, in fact, it will help get rid of your remains. And without it, you`d be dead. Spraying everything with an anti-bacterial spray does what?

In certain instances, you certainly should use an anti-bacterial product, but wholesale use, waste of money and agruably cause more resilient bacteria strains.

Dan

You remind me of contractor I interviewed post Irene. I thought I was okay until 2 months later, I smelled something funny, touch one wall and it was soft like a sponge. That very night, I spent the the next couple hours ripping out wall after wall...

I had a floating floor, etc, so much more needed to come out and get corrected. I had a ECO green contractor come out. I did realize it until he went on this whole ECO pitch. He saw the 10" wide plank floor, etc and told me to not do a thing until I start getting sick.

Then went on the same verbatim. People in the southeast, India, etc live in extreme humid climates. The body get`s uses to bacteria, etc. Just replace the sheetrock and leave the plausiable mold in the floor, etc alone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chefwong
    Dan

You remind me of contractor I interviewed post Irene. I thought I was okay until 2 months later, I smelled something funny, touch one wall and it was soft like a sponge. That very night, I spent the the next couple hours ripping out wall after wall...

I had a floating floor, etc, so much more needed to come out and get corrected. I had a ECO green contractor come out. I did realize it until he went on this whole ECO pitch. He saw the 10" wide plank floor, etc and told me to not do a thing until I start getting sick.

Then went on the same verbatim. People in the southeast, India, etc live in extreme humid climates. The body get`s uses to bacteria, etc. Just replace the sheetrock and leave the plausiable mold in the floor, etc alone.

I`m not saying it`s not a good idea for special cases, just not for daily use. If someone vomits all over your car and has norwalk virus, time for the big guns. However for day to day car cleaning, ineffective, wasteful and potentially dangerous to society as a whole. Are you planning on using the remediation products used to get rid of the mold continually?

I also think you are confusing bacteria and mold.

If you want to come up with analogies, I`d go with this one, bactericides and anti-mold compounds similar to compounding your car. Its certainly something for remediation, not for use every week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan

I was not referring to `safe` bacteria. The problem is the other kind - in the home there are any number which should be inhibited. Samonella, for example.

In the household, both kitchen and bathrooms should be cleaned with a product which strives to control bacteria. If a restaurant failed in this and someone got sick, an argument like yours is unlikely to decrease the size of the fine and compensation you would be liable to pay. You just should not knowingly allow `bad` bacteria to multiply when they are so simple to kill with the right products.

Cost is not a factor. If you buy a professional household cleaner with bactericidal action, it will almost always be cheaper than a professional detailing product. The problem comes because most people buy household cleaners from their supermarket. If you buy detailing products from the supermarket or high street seller (in the UK we have Halfords), they are either really expensive or of low quality - household cleaning products are just the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    So would a 5% bleach solution be fine,then?

Post Thanks / Like
    The difficulty with bleach is that it bleaches. You will kill the bugs that need killing but you will likely do other damage. In the EU we have a standard called EN1276 and I am sure you guys have the same. Products adhering to this will ensure that bacterial growth is at the very least stopped but mostly killed. It is actually really easy and really inexpensive to make products which will do so. If you find yourself an industrial and institutional cleaning supplier (I can`t name any, but there are many more such companies than their are automotive suppliers, so it should be easy) and find an all purpose sanitising product, that is where your best household value will be found.

As I said, this is not to stop people from using detailing products around the house, but just to inform that these products are cleaners and not sanitisers so should not be used without supplementation in sensitive areas like kitchens, food prep areas, bathrooms etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PiPUK
    The difficulty with bleach is that it bleaches. You will kill the bugs that need killing but you will likely do other damage. In the EU we have a standard called EN1276 and I am sure you guys have the same. Products adhering to this will ensure that bacterial growth is at the very least stopped but mostly killed. It is actually really easy and really inexpensive to make products which will do so. If you find yourself an industrial and institutional cleaning supplier (I can`t name any, but there are many more such companies than their are automotive suppliers, so it should be easy) and find an all purpose sanitising product, that is where your best household value will be found.

As I said, this is not to stop people from using detailing products around the house, but just to inform that these products are cleaners and not sanitisers so should not be used without supplementation in sensitive areas like kitchens, food prep areas, bathrooms etc.

You`re a smart dude, I look forward to reading more of your posts. Welcome to Autopia, and please stick around.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information