Post Thanks / Like
    Decided to finally buy myself an DA Buffer. Pretty sure I`m going to buy the Griots Gen2 6-inch Orbital Buffer since it`s only $110 shipped on amazon unless I hear of a better deal. As far as chemicals go I`d like to stick with Meguiars Ultimate Compound, Polish, and Wax.

I`ve heard of people recommending a smaller backplate and 5.5" pads instead, but if I don`t need it I`d rather not spend extra cash.

What pads should buy for Meguiars Ultimate Compound, Polish, and Liquid Wax? CCR or Flat? How many of each?

Thanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like
    I know you mentioned the 5.5" pads and additional backing plate, but you might not have completely taken into account the cost difference between 5.5" and 6.5" pads.

A 6-pack of 5.5" pads is $35, vs $50 for the 6.5" 6-pack. A 5" backing plate is around $18.

So you get a 6-pack of 5.5" pads + the backing plate for $3 more initally than a 6-pack of 6.5" pads - but every pad purchase after that, you`re saving money; and it would probably be best to get more than just 6 pads (I would go for at least four each of cutting, polishing and finishing pads - probably the low-profile Hydrotechs).

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 on umiooo comments!!! You might want to look at Buff & Shine pads also. They have a recessed velcro which adds an additional margin of safety when polishing near protruding objects and are great pads. You can get a 5 pack here Buff and Shine - Autoality Incorporated for $28 and a 5" backing plate for $15

Detailers Domain, one of our sponsors here, also has nice packages with the GG6, a 5" backing plate and 5 or 10 Uber pads which are the same as the B&S--I don`t know if he will price match, but you could check.

Also might want to look into using HD UNO and POXY as your polish and LSP--depending on your paint UNO might be all you will need to cut and polish--very easy to work with--no dusting, long working time, easy to remove.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STL NEWB
    Decided to finally buy myself an DA Buffer. Pretty sure I`m going to buy the Griots Gen2 6-inch Orbital Buffer since it`s only $110 shipped on amazon unless I hear of a better deal. As far as chemicals go I`d like to stick with Meguiars Ultimate Compound, Polish, and Wax.

I`ve heard of people recommending a smaller backplate and 5.5" pads instead, but if I don`t need it I`d rather not spend extra cash.

What pads should buy for Meguiars Ultimate Compound, Polish, and Liquid Wax? CCR or Flat? How many of each?

Thanks for the help!

The Griots Gen2 is on sale on Autogeek.net for $99 with 5 extra 6.5" pads. Griot`s Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher, Dual action buffer, DA polisher It is a 1 day only sale.

Post Thanks / Like
    I started out with the larger 6.5 Megs pads yrs ago and quickly changed to the smaller 5-5.5 set-up. You will not regret the small up front additional charge for a matching smaller set. Some vendors will also let you custom order a kit or bundle with the size pads you desire. If you do a little research on this subject you will find 95% or more use the 5-5.5 size.
    Paul Sparks

Distinctive Auto Detailing

Indianapolis IN 46234

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Distin...70659146390192

Post Thanks / Like
    And having saved money buying (larger) pads that don`t get the job done isn`t much of a savings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pwaug
    +1 on umiooo comments!!! You might want to look at Buff & Shine pads also. They have a recessed velcro which adds an additional margin of safety when polishing near protruding objects and are great pads. You can get a 5 pack here Buff and Shine - Autoality Incorporated for $28 and a 5" backing plate for $15

Detailers Domain, one of our sponsors here, also has nice packages with the GG6, a 5" backing plate and 5 or 10 Uber pads which are the same as the B&S--I don`t know if he will price match, but you could check.

Also might want to look into using HD UNO and POXY as your polish and LSP--depending on your paint UNO might be all you will need to cut and polish--very easy to work with--no dusting, long working time, easy to remove.

About a year ago I bought 18 (un-opened) 5.5" Buff N Shine pads from ADS and every single one of them have the velcro to the edge. I wanted some that were recessed and see from the link above that they do make them that way. Urrrggg. I wonder if ADS now carries them with the recessed back?

EDIT: Hi Paul!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman
    About a year ago I bought 18 (un-opened) 5.5" Buff N Shine pads from ADS and every single one of them have the velcro to the edge. I wanted some that were recessed and see from the link above that they do make them that way. Urrrggg. I wonder if ADS now carries them with the recessed back?

EDIT: Hi Paul!

I went through the same situation--I wanted the B&S specifically for the recessed Velcro and ordered them from ADS. Very disappointed when they arrived but was eventually able to get ADS to replace them with standard B&S pads drop shipped from B&S. Turns out they have them "special ordered" from B&S with the Velcro to the edge and continue to do so today.

Since then have found a better source autoality.com 5 pads for $28--don`t forget Uber and HD pads seem to also be B&S pads. EDIT: Just noticed autoality. com has free super saving shippin for orders over $20 and weighing under 5 lbs. That sure would include allot of pads.

Thread Information