Post Thanks / Like

Are we selling ourselves short with OC 2.0 / OG?

I will start off by saying I have followed and research most of the popular “coatings” since their introduction. I am sure we have followed a few instances lately when people have had problems with their application / removal / durability of OC 2.0 / OG. This has got me thinking and wondering about a few things.

How much OC 2.0 / OG should we be using per vehicle? I remember when OCv1 first came out and everyone was worried that the tube wasn’t enough to do everything and that you would run out. I have read where many are using less and less to coat a standard car. Even down to 3cc. To me this seems like very little. When they paint a car with clear coat I am sure they use much more than that to create the film build required. So assuming that at least part of OC 2.0 / OG is simply carrier for the coating I would guess that we would need to use much more to create the best and most durable film build possible. My thinking is the thicker the film build the more durable it will be. So based on that I would guess that Optimum would / should come out with at least a general suggestion of how much to use. Say 10cc per average 4 door car.

Most other “coatings / long life sealants” suggest at least 2 coats which in turn is creating a thicker and more durable film build. So if they are suggesting and telling you to get the most film build possible with their products why don’t we do the same thing with OC 2.0 / OG?

So my question is why are we not using more OC 2.0 / OG per application to give ourselves the best durability and coating possible? I know and realize it will cost more if you use more per vehicle, but would it not be better to do so then to risk it not lasting 4+ years? With the new warranty program I am thinking and guessing that this will be even more important than currently.

Please discuss…

Post Thanks / Like
    We use about 10cc on every car. I agree using it too thin could result in premature failure of the coating.

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally don`t think you can compare OG/OC to other coatings as they are different technologies.

I will use 6-8cc on an averaged sized car for just the paint/body. IMO you need to see the coating going on, but not to the point where you have to buff excess off the entire panel because it won`t level off. I do buff each panel, but there are only a few areas that need to be leveled and I don`t do so until the coating is about 80% flashed. You also don`t want to apply it so thin that the applicator is squeaking and you can`t even see where its been applied (think Zaino). I`ve probably done 40 or so cars now and I`ve not had a single one come back and complain about durability issues. I do however get lots of email from my clients raving about it.

I honestly think the issue is more with OC2 and/or inexperienced users then OG, as I can`t think of a single post/thread where a pro had durability issues on a clients or personal car using OG.

Just my $.02

Post Thanks / Like
    With the release of the Optimum lifetime Opti-Coat Pro warranty, Optimum did mention at the meeting we had at SEMA that 10cc was to be used per car.
    Garry Dean - Tampa, FL - 813-846-4406
    Auto - Boat - RV - Motorcycle - Aircraft
    Premium Custom Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Dean
    With the release of the Optimum lifetime Opti-Coat Pro warranty, Optimum did mention at the meeting we had at SEMA that 10cc was to be used per car.

Yeah, It appears they are selling the warranty packages with 10cc syringes (based on the OPT forum). I would assume based on that figure that a truck or SUV should take up to 10cc where an average car would take slightly less.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKleven
    We use about 10cc on every car. I agree using it too thin could result in premature failure of the coating.

+1. This has been my problem. I`m not getting enough on the surface and it looks like it fails withing a few months on some areas I have done. I am adapting I`m still not convinced the foam applicator is the best solution for getting this stuff on the surface.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1
    Yeah, It appears they are selling the warranty packages with 10cc syringes (based on the OPT forum). I would assume based on that figure that a truck or SUV should take up to 10cc where an average car would take slightly less.

I agree, but in the SEMA meeting Dr.G suggested using whatever is left over to add an additional coat to the front end, mirrors, etc... The areas that get the worse beating. He said to use ALL of the 10cc syringe.

Yes, Opti-Coat 2.0 and Opti-Coat Pro are layerable. This was a relatively recent tweak to the formula that was not promoted to the public.
    Garry Dean - Tampa, FL - 813-846-4406
    Auto - Boat - RV - Motorcycle - Aircraft
    Premium Custom Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally don`t think you can compare OG/OC to other coatings as they are different technologies.

I honestly think the issue is more with OC2 and/or inexperienced users then OG, as I can`t think of a single post/thread where a pro had durability issues on a clients or personal car using OG.

I do agree that OG/OC are not the same as other long life sealants. But I do think that the concept of "Film Build" does apply to both and worked for my question.

Yes, most of the problems have been from inexperienced users. But I am just assuming that a thinner layer of OG/OC will abrade away sooner than a thicker layer. Thus the difference between using 3cc and 10cc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Dean
    I agree, but in the SEMA meeting Dr.G suggested using whatever is left over to add an additional coat to the front end, mirrors, etc... The areas that get the worse beating. He said to use ALL of the 10cc syringe.

Yes, Opti-Coat 2.0 and Opti-Coat Pro are layerable. This was a relatively recent tweak to the formula that was not promoted to the public.

That makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer

I do agree that OG/OC are not the same as other long life sealants. But I do think that the concept of "Film Build" does apply to both and worked for my question.

Yes, most of the problems have been from inexperienced users. But I am just assuming that a thinner layer of OG/OC will abrade away sooner than a thicker layer. Thus the difference between using 3cc and 10cc.

Which again is why I feel it`s more of an issue with OC2 being so watered down with more solvents, but I get what you are saying.

OG shouldn`t be wearing away, but in the case of OC2 I do think it`s more important that they are using the proper amount and possibly even layering to ensure adequate film build.

Post Thanks / Like

Which again is why I feel it`s more of an issue with OC2 being so watered down with more solvents, but I get what you are saying.

OG shouldn`t be wearing away, but in the case of OC2 I do think it`s more important that they are using the proper amount and possibly even layering to ensure adequate film build.

You make a good point Chad. I personally have only used OG so I am not familiar with OC2.0 and is (diluted???) amount and characteristics.

As always I value your thoughts and contributions. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I used only 3cc once... on a motorcycle!
    Auto Detailing in Marion, Illinois
    www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    They say 10cc for a normal sized car (paint only) is plenty, but nothing is stopping you from applying multiple layers for a higher film build.

With the warranty side of things, yes, the warranty kit comes with a 10 cc tube, but what you are paying for is the warranty, no so much the product per se. Nothing is stopping you from utilizing your existing coating stash if you were coating something large like a high top coversion van for example.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    I can get about 2.5 vehicles per syringe, assuming they are FRS/3 series, etc in size. It has been pretty consistent in the 3 1/2 years I`ve been using it. Two vehicles I applied it to in 2009 are still going strong from what I could see when I took care of them last.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Thread Information