Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Post Thanks / Like
    I finally broke down and bought one yesterday. Hopefully I will have time to play with on some of the darker color cars at work.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have also purchased a HF DA(quanity 2) I am going to use 5" BP with 5.5" pads, I also have purchased a 3.5" BP to use with 4" pads. I don`t know how the quality is but at the current price I am willing to take a chance.

Hi I am new to detailing so I will have a lot of questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Velcro on the HF pads fits a 5" backing plate. The velcro on the backing plate chewed up my

first pad (using their 6" BP):waxing::waxing:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjwallace
    The Velcro on the HF pads fits a 5" backing plate. The velcro on the backing plate chewed up my

first pad (using their 6" BP):waxing::waxing:

Question....rather than taking the bearing etc apart, is it possible to add more grease

Through the hole used to lock the gear ( using the tool provided ) and counter weight from moving. In the photos provided the red grease that is coming through the hole is

Coming from the gear casing.

One type of grease that I thank could be used is the type used to grease the nose bearing on a chain saw bar.

Post Thanks / Like
    This AM I removed the red front cover of the HF DA and used a grease gun from my chain saw bar sprocket

and filled the cavity with out removing the bearings etc. turned the polisher on #1 at the same time

putting grease into it, the noise was cut by 2/3

Post Thanks / Like
    The velcro on HF pads are only 5" they will work just fine on the HF backing plate. Wrong they need a 5" backing plate and the pads will work:hmph:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane.belzers
    How did you get that open. I look at the diagram but couldn`t figure how to get past the counter weight and so on...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

+1 on that! Please someone fill in the middle part with some pics of actually pulling it apart. THANKS!

Post Thanks / Like
    I posted this in AG a few min ago.

You will also notice I did not have to mess with the counter weight.

OK here is where to use your vice grips to break the Torque after removing your backing plate;

I used a toung depressor and filled the primary cavity, then I used an acid brush to cover the gears on the plate.

ONce all good and lubed, put the 2 pcs back together. you will get squeeze out from around the mating surface`s then pressed it together to help the grease out.

Just a note to anyone not used to working on this kind of stuff, DO NOT TIGHTEN SCREWS ONE AT A TIME. Make sure each one is started and not cross threading. Once all are as tight as you can get with your screw driver, use vice grips again to put some torque back on it. BE CAREFUL NOT TO OVER TORQUE AND BREAK OFF HEADS!

Then Its time to burp the baby. Start on 1 and work to max. You will get a lot of grease out if you load it up the way I did.

Then I used some IPA on a paper towel to wipe all the grease off the tool, and used duct tape to cover the bleed hole.

Funny how I was so stumped by this until that light-bulb turned on! I will be splicing a longer cord to the unit or maybe just adapting one like is in all the docs I have sent out. Ill get pics for you all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjwallace
    This AM I removed the red front cover of the HF DA and used a grease gun from my chain saw bar sprocket

and filled the cavity with out removing the bearings etc. turned the polisher on #1 at the same time

putting grease into it, the noise was cut by 2/3

That is probably the same red grease as we are buying in the can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beamerstrumpet
    That is probably the same red grease as we are buying in the can.

Ok - So I am a complete NEWBIE

I am a DIYer, and I have a Ford Excursion, BLACK.

I also have a dark Blew BMW and a oxidized boat and tractor. Calls for some detailing!

I bought the HF DA Polisher and am going to buy the Buff and Shine 5.0 and some 5.5 pads. Can`t I also use the HF 6.0 pads I bought as well?

I have questions on the pad and maybe their is a RTFM portion of the baord, but what is cutting ? What pads do I need to do A,B,C?

I know I have deep scratches, water spots, etc... I want to be able to do this in steps, so I know I want to wash with two buckets, one to suds up and one to rinse the rag? Then wash with Dawn to strip, then clay the car (bought a mequires kit), then I need to compound?

Help!

THanks - PS - Long story short on the grease in the DA, can`t I just bust that hole off, then pump in some good quality lithium grease like:

Lucas Oil Products 10005 - Lithium Grease | O`Reilly Auto Parts

Hey - Appreciate y`all and really going to feel good to get my sons name out of the side of the excurision where he scratched it into the clear coat!! LOL

Final PPS - What do you think about what products I should use? Like I said I have the BMW 740il with Dark Orient Blue and the Black Excursion - All have water spots and some scratches, then I have a boat and tractor - heavily oxidized. I was thinking about 3D International, LLC :: Polishes & Compounds :: HD Uno from the other post, for the cards, then I would use something else on the boat and tractor?

Thanks Guys!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Autopia!!! Here`s my $.02---B&S 5.5" pads are great pads and fit perfectly with the B&S 5" backing plate. Don`t use the HF pads with the HF backing plate it will chew them up when you put pressure on the machine. Save them for the boat, but use with the B&S backing plate if the velcro on the pads is the same as the BP. For the car you need at least 4 pads per step--without seeing your paint condition you could start with 4 yellow for cutting/compounding, 4 green for polishing and a couple red for applying wax/sealant. If your paint is really in bad shape you might be better off with MicroFiber pads for the cutting/compounding step. B&S has these also. Don`t forget to do a test spot.

No need to strip old wax/sealant if you`re going to polish. Dawn won`t strip old wax/sealant anyway. You may want to add a step before the clay--IronX or Valuguard ABC to decontaminate the paint.

IMO go with HD Cut for your compound then HD Polish for your polishing step. Then pick a LSP--HD POXY would look great on the dark blue--it`s a hybrid sealant/wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your reply!

What is an LSP? Also is there a dummy youtube channel or video you might recommend for a newbie application and process of cutting with compound, polishing and then the last step with the LSP? I guess that would be sealant of some kind?

Thank you again!!

Jon

Post Thanks / Like
    LSP is Last Step Product--both waxes and sealants qualify. Here`s a link to allot of videos and articles Articles by Mike Phillips - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum However, if you use HD Cut and HD Polish do not prime your pad as shown by Mike--with HD less is more--just 4-6 pea sized drops on your pad for the first section then 3-4 for each additional section. Clean your pad "on the fly" often and use at least 4 pads per step.

Quote Originally Posted by czjon
    Thank you for your reply!

What is an LSP? Also is there a dummy youtube channel or video you might recommend for a newbie application and process of cutting with compound, polishing and then the last step with the LSP? I guess that would be sealant of some kind?

Thank you again!!

Jon

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi -

Just wanted to update. Got off the phone with Rick over at ADS (Auto Detailing Solutions -- Meguiar`s Car Wax, Auto Polish & Detailing Supplies Store) and wow - He was very helpful. So I did like you guys suggested above and he walked me through some of the accessories I needed (like the BP and the pads) and steered me clear of stuff that was over the top for what I was doing. There are so many chemicals and accessories, you can go broke buying all this stuff. Just wanted to say thanks to you all and to Rick.

Thanks again,

Jon

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread Information