Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ron did I seem like I was complaining in my last post??? I bought my machine for $47 and made $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ with it already. I can throw it away and still be ahead. I always have replacement cords on board the detail rig and in my garage. Every brand I have ever had has had a cord go bad sooner or later.
    The second mouse gets the cheese!

Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn`t Harbor Freight also sell a rotary?

Post Thanks / Like
    WaxManRonnie. Yes they do. I bought one when the brand was Chicago Electric. Now the brand they carry is Drill Master. I dont know about the drill master one but the Chicago Electric one I have is pretty good. Has lasted many years. I just picked up the DA from there today and it feels really solid. I hope it will be as good a machine as the Rotary.
    down here in colorful colorado!

Post Thanks / Like
    This thread just made my day. I am a newbie and was going to buy the PC 7424xp but I am going to get this. I have a couple questions. What is the issue of the backing plate that comes with it, do I have to get a new one? Has anyone used the foam pads at HF or should I get the Lake Country pads? Which size LC pads will fit on this backing plate if the HF ones are no good?

I am thinking about getting Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 followed by Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 then sealed with Meguiars NXT.

Another general question about using a polisher, can I remove the above products with a microfiber pad on the machine or so I have to remove it with a microfiber towel by hand, like I usually do.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not issue with the backing plate, I use 6 inch pads, those who use 5 1/2 appear to have an issue.

As far as using it for removal, just put on a new soft foam pad, lay a micro fiber down, put the unit on slowest speed directly on the towel, and remove, checking the towel for removed product build up, when noticed, switch to a clean side or a clean towel.

I would recommend you go with the 3D Speed or Uno for more cut/polish and the HD Polish is one of the finest I have found in 30 years.

Not a fan at all of the Wolfgang line, lot of "promotion", sorta of like the guy with the big hat and the big belt buckle, no cattle.

The NXT is fine for a finish product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. So you found the HF pads ok to use? Regarding products, what would you recommend then that is comparable in performance to the products I listed? The car is a 2006 with moderate/severe swirls/marring, never been polished to my knowledge. I`d be starting with wash down with Dawn and Meguiars Clay BTW.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by baseball07
    Thank you. So you found the HF pads ok to use? Regarding products, what would you recommend then that is comparable in performance to the products I listed? The car is a 2006 with moderate/severe swirls/marring, never been polished to my knowledge. I`d be starting with wash down with Dawn and Meguiars Clay BTW.

I can`t seem to find the thread, but there is one that talks about the HF pads -- allot of complaints that they don`t last long. I also noticed that the backing plate on the HF polisher is larger than the recessed velcro on the HF pads which might cause the pads to fail sooner. Keep in mind that everytime you buy a six pack of 5.5" pads you save $15 vs 6.5" pads so with that $15 you can buy a 5" backing plate. Every six pack beyond that you save $15. The pads play a major part of the success of your work so why not get some good ones that will last with care. Buff & Shine (I believe they are the same as HD pads) makes great pads with a recessed Velcro that I have found an extra margin of safety when polishing around proturding objects--as a beginner it was a great advantage to me. Here`s a great price on a 5 pack Buff and Shine - Autoality Incorporated note the 5" backing plate at the bottom of the page.

As Ron recommended HD UNO, Polish and Speed are very easy to work with--long working times, no dust, easy to remove, no heavy oils--really helped me have great success as someone new to machine polishing. You also might want to consider HD POXY--hybrid sealant/wax. 3D International, LLC Don`t know if you`d need HD Cut--depends on how bad swirls are and how hard the paint is or if it`s recommended to someone just starting out machine polishing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely picking one up for use as a back-up so my PC dying on me today wouldn`t have been a big deal. Paint was too soft to finish with a rotary so I was stuck running out to the only Walmart that had a G110 so I can finish the car tomorrow.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I picked up 3 today using the 20% off code plus the 2 year extended warranty still cost less than $60 ea. most my pads were drying still when i got back so i fired one up and got about 5 minutes with it on a cherry red HHR using some UNO and a White polish pad. Felt good, even got some good results for what i was trying for. So im happy. Going to check all three tomorrow for the grease thing and most likely repack them with better grease, then throw longer better power cords on them. Order my HD Cut, UNO, and polish today as well as some of they`re 5.5 pads, i also have samples of each of the Buff N Shine 5.5 euro foam pads coming in about a week or so. Back plate seemed fine with my 5.5" white n black pads... Might get the HD 5" or whatever backplate? What other back plates fit the HF shaft thread and are recommended for 5.5" pads?

Thanks in advanced

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane.belzers
    What other back plates fit the HF shaft thread and are recommended for 5.5" pads?

I`ve had good luck with the Buff & Shine BP--fits the B&S and HD pads perfectly and it`s only $15 most places.

Post Thanks / Like
    I get B&S for cost so if that works good ill get one This is the one i see in my catalog, 6" velcro DA back plate BU-600Y Or is it a different one?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    That one is for 6.5" pads. If you want to use 5.5" pads then use 500Y Flex edge grip backing plates

What a great deal -- B&S pads at cost--B&S pads seem to be the same as HD pads. I`ve been very happy with mine--very durable and the Yellow heavy cut pad finishes down well on hard paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yuppers, My Chem guy carries all the buff n shine and lake country stuff I did order 3 of the HD pads with my order because i will have them sooner than the b&s ones, But im getting one of each of the B&S for free as samples before my guy buys a case.

Oh and i keep looking and did find the 500Y back plate so i have 3 of them coming for my new polishers as well... Who here prefers waffle over flat and why? Or other way around??

Post Thanks / Like
    some may or may not have seen this, here`s a video on how to change the brushes on the HD polisher (similiar to the one sold at HF)...

HD Polisher Changing Brushes - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CONCOURS.JOHN
    My gears did not even have contact with grease. I could see this being an issue till warmed up by then a little late.

Picked one up doing this before fire up.

Thanks Charlie!

How did you get that open. I look at the diagram but couldn`t figure how to get past the counter weight and so on...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information