Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I have purchased pretty much every other type of sheepskin mitt out there except those mentioned above. Mainly for the price. I know the Adam`s version was recently updated to a more beefier version. So anyone who`s tried them both, any feedback will be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    You never hear anyone talking about the Wookie Fist? It looks cool, but not sure how it will actually work?
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a hydrophilic sponge. I get them at home depot in the flooring section and I buy them in the contractor`s bag of six for ten dollars.

Then, and this is the important part, I lay the sponge on a flat surface and, using a razor blade, cut a diamond pattern into it. The cuts are about half way through and a half inch apart. What this does is keep the pressure down on any given point and these sponges rinse very easily. Use a grit guard in your bucket and keep a different sponge for below the belt and lower parts than the one you use on top. I use my old top of the car sponges for the lower parts when my lower part sponges get ruined.

I also use these sponges cut in half to apply wax/sealants, etc.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyteWizard
    I use a hydrophilic sponge. I get them at home depot in the flooring section and I buy them in the contractor`s bag of six for ten dollars.

Is that a fancy term for a "Grout Sponge"? :bounce:
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you considered the Carpro Merino Wool mitt? The design of the hand pocket allows you to keep pressure on the paint very light with just the fibers doing the work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pwaug
    Have you considered the Carpro Merino Wool mitt? The design of the hand pocket allows you to keep pressure on the paint very light with just the fibers doing the work.

A while back Cee Dog PMed me about that mitt, and he sure did make it sound appealing. Heh heh, I`m not the easiest guy to impress with newfangled wash media either

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    You never hear anyone talking about the Wookie Fist? It looks cool, but not sure how it will actually work?

Noting that there are a few different ways to employ a wash mitt, some of which call for differing mitt characteristics, I`m in the same boat you are with regard to the Wookie Fist :think:

Is it aggressive enough to get things clean, even in the absence of applied pressure? (Yeah, IMO a wash medium can be *too gentle* in-and-of itself, at least for real-world daily-drivers.)

Is it free-rinsing enough for my foamgun to keep it clean, or will the dirt have to come out in the rinse bucket?

For people not using a foamgun, will it keep the dirt away from the finish betwen the time it gets contaminated and whenever it gets rinsed out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    Is that a fancy term for a "Grout Sponge"? :bounce:

Yes, it`s also what it says on the package.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for the late reply, had a bit of a computer malfunction.

David: yes but mainly on the looks.

WhyteWizard: honestly I`ve had bad experiences with sponges in general.

pwaug: yeah but the only drawback is more frequent rinsing since you can only use one side.

Accumulator: yeah it does seem tempting. What do you use besides the BHB`s?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Megladon
    Accumulator: yeah it does seem tempting. What do you use besides the BHB`s?

Noting that I`m always flooding the point of wash medium-to-paint contact with output from my foamgun...I use the BHBs for the first pass(es) to get the "big stuff" off, then I switch to sheepskin mitts. I use nice (and kinda pricey) ones from Griot`s on my S8, but 99% of the time I just use regular ones from...gee, I don`t even remember where I got `en :nixweiss

They`re nothing fancy AFAIK. As long as they pass the CD-test (tested after soaking in shampoo mix) they`re good enough for me.

Once in a blue moon I`ll use MF mitts, but not often enough for it to really factor into my recommendations. They`re fine as long as they don`t lint like crazy and they don`t retain abrasive dirt (sometimes MF can really hold on to certain stuff).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Noting that I`m always flooding the point of wash medium-to-paint contact with output from my foamgun...I use the BHBs for the first pass(es) to get the "big stuff" off, then I switch to sheepskin mitts. I use nice (and kinda pricey) ones from Griot`s on my S8, but 99% of the time I just use regular ones from...gee, I don`t even remember where I got `en :nixweiss

They`re nothing fancy AFAIK. As long as they pass the CD-test (tested after soaking in shampoo mix) they`re good enough for me.

Once in a blue moon I`ll use MF mitts, but not often enough for it to really factor into my recommendations. They`re fine as long as they don`t lint like crazy and they don`t retain abrasive dirt (sometimes MF can really hold on to certain stuff).

Yes, I see. You know I`ve been thinking of those Griot`s sheepskins for a while now. I just purchased the Adam`s merino. Haven`t got the chance to use it. I haven`t detailed the Avalon in forever. Mainly due to this hot weather we`ve been having. I`m on the same boat you are with MF mitts. I have a SCG wash sponge and a Meguiar`s mitt. Only use them on wheels(SCG sponge) and the glass(Megs mitt). I try to avoid any dirt contamination from glass into my main wash mitt. Glass doesn`t scratch like paint does. Although I`ve been seeing some swirls on my daily driver for some odd reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Megladon
    Yes, I see. You know I`ve been thinking of those Griot`s sheepskins for a while now....

I only use that for certain washes. It can retain gritty dirt like crazy! Big PIA to rinse it clean. Perfect example of how you need to use something free-rinsing like a BHB *first* to get all that kind of dirt off before using the mitt.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Ăœber wash mitt, RaceGlaze mitt, the microfibertech zero cuff mitt, and Meguairs MF wash mitt.

The uber mitt is too gentle IMO. I`ve had to go back and hit a couple spots before.

The RaceGlaze mitt is by far my favorite sheepskin mitt. It`s only used on my car when it isn`t too dirty.

The MFT zero cuff is usually my go to mitt for details and doing soap reviews.

The Meguiars MF wash mitt is extremely good and underrated. It`s super cheap and perfect for rinsless washes.

Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote name=`DirtyWeRX`]I

Is this like a noodle type mitt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Legacy99
    [quote name=`DirtyWeRX`]I

Is this like a noodle type mitt?

yeah. It has those little mf rolls all over it. Like Griots has on their wash mitt

Post Thanks / Like
    Been using a grout sponge, same one, for many years - no problems. But, I rinse the car first with my electric power washer, and if it`s got stuck on crud like bugs, road kill on the sides (hey, can`t always serve around that possem) I`ll spray Bug-Off and or Tidal Wave (both diluted of course) after the first rinse and then rinse again.
    All I have in this world is my word, and my balls and I don`t break `em for no one, you understand?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information