Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Are the Lowes grout sponges still the best to use with ONR? I see Lowes has 2 Proline sponges now, 1 is $1.98 and the other is $2.98. WHich one are people using?

Post Thanks / Like
    If you use a grout sponge, cut a diamond pattern into one side. I do this by laying the sponge on a flat surface then - using a razor blade - I make diagonal cuts about a half inch apart from top left to bottom right. I turn the sponge and cut across my original cuts to make the diamond pattern. I also cut about half way through the sponge. This keeps the sponge from driving dirt into the paint.

For ONR washes, I use the two bucket system with this variation. I do one section - size is determined by how dusty or dirty the car is - then, I do that section again and the area adjacent to it. A then A plus B. B then B plus C, etc. all the way around the car - or a part of the car and dry if the ONR is going to dry before I can get to it.

The other thing I like to do is mist the car first using a pump sprayer. I go around and around car until it looks like there was a heavy dew on it. Then I do the wash and dry. That gets everything softened up and lubricated before I try to move it.

BTW you can get those cheaper at Home Depot.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    OP, if you haven`t already, check out the Gary Dean wash method, it`s safer, faster and less work.

Post Thanks / Like
    :up

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought grout sponges from Home Depot for around $1 each. I bought 6.

I personally mist half the car with an ONR solution using a deck sprayer and then go over one panel at a time, rubbing the sponge on a grit guard with ONR solution. I will generally do one panel with one side of the sponge, another with the other side, then get the windows before I clean either side of the sponge since you really can`t mar them up in my experience. Grit guard both sides of the sponge, and start on the next panels, working your way from top to bottom and saving the very bottom, dirtiest sections of the car for very last. I then dry that half of the car with a little detail spray and a good waffle weave drying towel, flipping to a fresh side of the towel each panel.

Of course, I do the wheels, tires, and wheel wells before I start on the paint. This works very well on my OptiCoated car and doesn`t seem to mar the girlfriend`s fairly soft Altima paint as long as the car isn`t too dirty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisguga
    Of course, I do the wheels, tires, and wheel wells before I start on the paint.

You`re using a separate bucket of wash solution for that then?

Post Thanks / Like
    I find the Supernatural wash sponge to be the best (soft, absorbent, paint friendly) that I have used. BUT, it will cost you.

I still do a power wash, summer or winter, prior to using ONR. I find then any wash instrument cleans easier and safer, whether it be MF, Sponge, Australian Wool, Bone, Mitt....Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    The sponge BigAl shows is the one you want. I now use mine cut up for tire and trim dressing since converted over to the GD method.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane
    You`re using a separate bucket of wash solution for that then?
    Yeah, definitely.

I have a separate bucket for my various wheel and tire brushes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisguga
    Yeah, definitely.

I have a separate bucket for my various wheel and tire brushes.

I asked because if I do wheels last, I will use the leftover washwater after washing the car. But I`d never do the reverse, use wheel water on the car. That would be very bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tried a grout sponge, really don`t like it. Prefer microfibered covered foam pads. Single bucket method too, zero marring issues.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    Tried a grout sponge, really don`t like it. Prefer microfibered covered foam pads. Single bucket method too, zero marring issues.

Same here. I use the same on my black Tahoe with no marring.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll stick to the sponges, plain, not cut up sponges. Whatever works and whatever feels right brother!
    All I have in this world is my word, and my balls and I don`t break `em for no one, you understand?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    OP, if you haven`t already, check out the Gary Dean wash method, it`s safer, faster and less work.

I watched some of his vids. Looks like a very good method but I have to admit, there`s something about the guys voice that I cannot stand!

Post Thanks / Like
    actually, one could use several sponges and do the same as the GD wash method. The one thing I do like about using the MF towels is that they seem to remove more tar, bugs, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information