Post Thanks / Like
    Ive read a few similar threads, most were fairly old.

If you had $100-150 to spend, what must haves would you buy? This is for personal use, just for maintaining my two cars. One needs slight correction.

i already own a PC (but no pads), a good amount of microfibers, and all the interior stuff I need. Already own buckets and sponges and towels, etc.

This is strictly exterior requirements.. Pads, waxes, sealants, cutting compounds etc etc etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say Buff and Shine Orange and White pads, M105, M205... I have my own product line so obviously I would suggest my products would be your best bet, but without trying to Spam I would say Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection would be my choice for a sealant.

All of that can be had for around your target of 120ish.
    Garry Dean - Tampa, FL - 813-846-4406
    Auto - Boat - RV - Motorcycle - Aircraft
    Premium Custom Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    First thing, I am not really a pro, so yeah... there are probably other people who can give you much more advice. With that said...

I think the Meguiar`s MF Correction kit is a great value. Kit comes with everything you need to do a decent job with correcting and/or upkeeping your paint. Backing plate, 16oz of D300 and D301, 2 Cutting pads, and 2 finishing pads, and an apron. I think the kit runs for about $90 for the 5" kit, and about $100 for the 6" kit, but with some shopping and help of discount codes, you can probably get it for a little less. Unfortunately, this kit is really only covers the paint correction products.

Have you looked into bucket kits? I think for a little than $200, you could get a kit that has pretty much everything you need. Chemical Guys has a few kits. Runs about $160 give or take.

Auto Detailing Hand Wash Do It Yourself Kit

Adam`s Polishes has a kit that runs about $190.

Adam`s Essential Detail Kit

I think both kits are pretty comprehensive. Has everything you would need to do a complete job. I don`t know if either kits have the best products to use for certain things and they certainly don`t have polishes and compounds I would use for correction, but if you are on a budget, and you want to have a comprehensive selection of products, might not be a bad way to go.

Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DatacomGuy

i already own a PC (but no pads), a good amount of microfibers, and all the interior stuff I need. Already own buckets and sponges and towels, etc.

This is strictly exterior requirements.. Pads, waxes, sealants, cutting compounds etc etc etc.

Exterior

Basics:

Wash: - your choice

Clay: your choice

Compound: M105

Polish: M205

Pads: LC - Orange, white, black ( at least 2 of each)

Pads: Foam Applicator pads

Sealant: FK100p

Wax: #845

I consider this a basic start off point. You can do maintenance on your car and you can always grow your collection.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you`re just maintaining two cars, with no real interest in detailing for others, this is pretty simple. Start with a few basics and build from there, as desired.

POLISHES -

For the casual user I really like Meguiars D300. It may not have the cut of M105 but its much easier to use and leaves a fantastic finish. Depending on your expectations, D300 can be LSP ready; no need for a second polishing step. Buy a 12 oz bottle for $16 or 16 oz for $18. For finishing polish, I like Meguiars M205. It`s about the easiest, smoothest, nicest to use light polish available. A D300/M205 combo would be super easy to use and leave a killer finish. You can get a 12 oz sample size for about $11, or see if someone will sell you a small amount.

PADS -

This is where to spend your money. You`ll need cutting (compounding) pads and finish polishing pads.... several of each. With D300, the Meguiars Microfiber System pads are best. A pair of 5" cutting pad cost around $20. I also recommend using 3" pads for tight areas. Those will run $12/ pair, plus a 3" backing plate. A couple of black foam finishing pads and a couple of orange foam cutting pads in 5-6" and 3" will round out your inventory. This will burn about 50% of your budget.

WAXES / SEALANTS -

This is where most detailing enthusiasts geek out. Everyone has gone overboard with LSP`s at one time or another. Hell, LSP`s cause 80% of the internet arguments on detailing forums. We won`t hold it against you if you get sucked into the vortex of LSP excess. We`ve all been there. The truth is, you only need one good product. Like a watch, a man can use only one at a time. I much prefer polymer sealants to waxes. I`m an avid user of Zaino and Blackfire for my LSP. Both are great products; long lasting, high gloss shine, easy to use. I suggest trying to get a small sample of whatever LSP from another user to see if it`s something you like. A 4 oz bottle is 6-8 applications. That`s all you really need to start. If you find you like it, a larger bottle is around $20-30.

Good luck! Have fun trying new products.

Post Thanks / Like
    ONR and a clay too
    "Don`t" and "Stop" are two words as threatening as words can be. But put them together side-by-side and they have the power to exhaust for the rest of the night. - Replies to Juliet

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bretfraz
    If you`re just maintaining two cars, with no real interest in detailing for others, this is pretty simple. Start with a few basics and build from there, as desired.

POLISHES -

For the casual user I really like Meguiars D300. It may not have the cut of M105 but its much easier to use and leaves a fantastic finish. Depending on your expectations, D300 can be LSP ready; no need for a second polishing step. Buy a 12 oz bottle for $16 or 16 oz for $18. For finishing polish, I like Meguiars M205. It`s about the easiest, smoothest, nicest to use light polish available. A D300/M205 combo would be super easy to use and leave a killer finish. You can get a 12 oz sample size for about $11, or see if someone will sell you a small amount.

PADS -

This is where to spend your money. You`ll need cutting (compounding) pads and finish polishing pads.... several of each. With D300, the Meguiars Microfiber System pads are best. A pair of 5" cutting pad cost around $20. I also recommend using 3" pads for tight areas. Those will run $12/ pair, plus a 3" backing plate. A couple of black foam finishing pads and a couple of orange foam cutting pads in 5-6" and 3" will round out your inventory. This will burn about 50% of your budget.

WAXES / SEALANTS -

This is where most detailing enthusiasts geek out. Everyone has gone overboard with LSP`s at one time or another. Hell, LSP`s cause 80% of the internet arguments on detailing forums. We won`t hold it against you if you get sucked into the vortex of LSP excess. We`ve all been there. The truth is, you only need one good product. Like a watch, a man can use only one at a time. I much prefer polymer sealants to waxes. I`m an avid user of Zaino and Blackfire for my LSP. Both are great products; long lasting, high gloss shine, easy to use. I suggest trying to get a small sample of whatever LSP from another user to see if it`s something you like. A 4 oz bottle is 6-8 applications. That`s all you really need to start. If you find you like it, a larger bottle is around $20-30.

Great info.. Going to build off of this.

M105 - Cutting Compound

M205 - Finishing Compound

2 x 5" Cutting Pad

3" Backing Plate

2 x 3" Cutting Pad

2 x 5" Finishing Pad (Black Foam)

2 x 3" Finishing Pad (Black Foam)

2 x 5" Orange Finishing Pad

2 x 3" Orange Finishing Pad

As far as the Zaino is concerned, which one do you recommend? Z2 or Z3?

EDIT: I know you mentioned D300.. I think I`d rather have the power of the M105.. The SUV is in bad shape

Post Thanks / Like
    Also - What do you guys recommend for taking care of a new vehicle?

I have a new car that obviously doesn`t need cutting compounds. What do you guys recommend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bretfraz

POLISHES -

PADS -

WAXES / SEALANTS -

This man speaks the truth - 90% of the look is in the prep...as such, most of your budget should go into this step of the process. The microfiber pad wars has heated up with the recent entries of Optimum and Chemical Guys into the mix. Do a little searching and you`ll be able to find some good value in their kits. There`s nothing worse than running out of pads or not having the right size to do the job. With regards to LSP, I do like zaino as well but practically ANY LSP will work these days assuming your paint condition is good shape. One very inexpensive product that does not get much pub these days is S100 wax - While every LSP has doubled (if not tripled) in price, S100 stays the same at $15 for a tub.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also - What do you guys recommend for taking care of a new vehicle?

I have a new car that obviously doesn`t need cutting compounds. What do you guys recommend?

Depending on the paint hardness, you may just need M205 to remove the minor marring. Once all paint defects are removed/minimized, focus on refining your washing and drying techniques so that you eliminate/limit the amount of marring you put back into the paint.

Mobile Detailing Services justin30513's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ive read a few similar threads, most were fairly old.

If you had $100-150 to spend, what must haves would you buy? This is for personal use, just for maintaining my two cars. One needs slight correction.

Call me in the AM tomorrow. I`m up in Blue Ridge. About an hour or so from you.

I`d be glad to talk to you and discuss this with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Optimum GPS

LC Orange pad

LC white pad

HD Poxy for sealant

armor all for tires.

With a pc and optimum GPS you cant really harm the finish unless you drop the pc on the car. Its a really nice one step, and offers some protection as well. Plus youll have about 50 bucks left over to take your girl out for dinner in your clean polshed ride.

Lotus Effect Detailing LLC

Owner/Operator George Koutsourais

www.lotuseffectdetailing.net

Thread Information