Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    HOOKED ON THE DETAILS
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used the DR Colorchip with great success on my black Marauder using a somewhat modified method. I washed the front end then did a medium light polish, did a wipe down with IPA then took a small detailing brush and IPA and cleaned out each chip. I used a small fuzzy headed toothpick like applicator to apply the DR. to each chip till each was filled above the surface. On a small area that had road rash, about 50 chips in a 2" circle, I just wiped in the product with a blue paper shop towel. I used a heat gun and went around and heated each area and then lit it sit for about two hours before removing with a soft cotton tee shirt backed by a flexible plastic card. For those few spots that I didn`t add enough product I added more and continued the removal process. This left light marring around most repaired areas. I again heated the repaired areas, waited about two hours and used a light polish to remove the marring and finished up with PO85rd. Applied my LSP the following day. Not one chip of about 200 lifted and when completed No one could find the repaired areas. Absolutely the best product for repairing chips that I have found!! Thanks to Gary Dean for posting his how-to on using the Dr Colorchip product!

Post Thanks / Like
    POPPAJ- Ah, wonder if the heat gun made all the difference! I might oughta try that...

And yeah, those little disposable brushes work well :xyxthumbs

Wonder if you could avoid some of the marring by using an old MF instead of the t-shirt :think: Having marred the [crap] out of Audi clear by touching it with a *VERY* soft, plush t-shirt I`m leering of letting them anywhere near my paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had some very, very small chips in my hood that I filled with it and one of them won`t take. The other two held. I have the little squeegee that the sell and I`m going to try using that instead of the smear and then let it dry for 2 hours. I had a lot of trouble getting the excess off last time I used it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill220-Welcome to Autopia!

Wonder how it`d work if you let it sit for a *lot* longer :think: That worked pretty well for me.

HOOKED ON THE DETAILS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    POPPAJ- Ah, wonder if the heat gun made all the difference! I might oughta try that...

And yeah, those little disposable brushes work well :xyxthumbs

Wonder if you could avoid some of the marring by using an old MF instead of the t-shirt :think: Having marred the [crap] out of Audi clear by touching it with a *VERY* soft, plush t-shirt I`m leering of letting them anywhere near my paint.

I gave some thought to using MF, but thought that the texture/weave might pull out the Dr from the chip so I never tried it. I might experiment on the Wife`s car!

The finishing polishes that I used had no trouble removing the marring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill220
    I`m going to try using that instead of the smear and then let it dry for 2 hours.

As Accumulator has suggested, permitting a much longer cure time will help. I sometimes wait 1 or 2 weeks before attempting to finish off the repair.

Welcome aboard, Bill!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by POPPAJ
    I gave some thought to using MF, but thought that the texture/weave might pull out the Dr from the chip so I never tried it. I might experiment on the Wife`s car!

Yeah, if memory serves that *did* happen a few times. Eh, I was up to my neck in issues on that car (the ratty, but blown, Crown Vic) and it`s hard to remember what did/didn`t work.

[qiote]The finishing polishes that I used had no trouble removing the marring.[/QUOTE]

Heh heh, seems like most people have fewer troubles than I do in that regard! I feel like I end up having to reach for aggressive stuff soooo often :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Bill220-Welcome to Autopia!

Wonder how it`d work if you let it sit for a *lot* longer :think: That worked pretty well for me.

Thanks for the welcome!

I finally got it to work correctly. I wasn`t using enough of the removal solution and using too much pressure.

Last night I did my front bumper and used the little squeegee that they sell for $3. That method worked satisfactorily for me. I let it dry for an hour before removing the excess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information