Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Gentleman,

I am in the market for a pressure washer. My new plan is to save time by pressure washing before a rinseless wash. I am only interested in maintaining my personal vehicles, so figure this thing will be used about 10 minutes max, every 2 weeks. Looking at similar models to this:

Amazon.com: AR Blue Clean AR383 1,900 PSI 1.5 GPM 14 Amp Electric Pressure Washer with Hose Reel: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Any thoughts, or suggestions, or things to look for. I always appreciate advice from this forum.

Thanks.

Mobile Detailing Services justin30513's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you`ve done your research on how to wash.

There is nothing wrong with that unit. The only thing is what you`ll have to do if you have any problems with it.

I`d recommend buying one from Home Depot, Lowes, or eve Wal Mart. Wal Mart has several nice Karcher models.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, another thing.

The 20-25ft hose that comes with most is a joke. Not long enough and requires you to move your pressure washer to get the whole vehicle washed. Either get a longer (35ft hose) or and extension hose. Personally, I`d get the longer hose.

I`d get this.......

Karcher K3.690 Pressure Washer

And this......

Walmart.com: Campbell Hausfeld 3/8`` x 50` Extension Hose up to 4000 PSI: Tools

Post Thanks / Like
    I follow these threads with great interest as I plan to replace my latest dead pw one of these days.

On another thread, JuneBug suggested I get one from Northern Tools, around $450. Much pricier than we`re talking about here, but a lot less than the Camspray that I *really* like.

That Karcher looks good for the $, but after having !who-knows-how-many! Karchers die on me, I`d really think twice :nervous: I do like how the Karcher handles chemical injection for one thing, some pws have it come in more "downstream" and I wouldn`t like that.

How interchangrable are the hoses? I have a scad of Karcher ones, wonder if they`d fit other brands...like, is it a relatively universal kind of thing, or a more model/brand specific fitment?

How do Lowes/Home Depot/etc. handle repairs/etc.?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    I follow these threads with great interest as I plan to replace my latest dead pw one of these days.

On another thread, JuneBug suggested I get one from Northern Tools, around $450. Much pricier than we`re talking about here, but a lot less than the Camspray that I *really* like.

That Karcher looks good for the $, but after having !who-knows-how-many! Karchers die on me, I`d really think twice :nervous: I do like how the Karcher handles chemical injection for one thing, some pws have it come in more "downstream" and I wouldn`t like that.

How interchangrable are the hoses? I have a scad of Karcher ones, wonder if they`d fit other brands...like, is it a relatively universal kind of thing, or a more model/brand specific fitment?

How do Lowes/Home Depot/etc. handle repairs/etc.?

Accumulator, I`ve been using Northerntool Pressure washers since the early 90`s and they are pretty good units, especially for the price. Most the issues we had with them were from the idiots at the shop letting them run without spraying and they burned the pumps out...I think most the newer ones shut off when you let got of the sprayer now. The one JuneBug listed has noticeably more power than the cheap box store ones but I like a little more power still.

I had this one for a few years and while I dialed it down a little, it was great for detailing and could be turned back up for other jobs around the house.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Murphy
    Also, another thing.

The 20-25ft hose that comes with most is a joke. Not long enough and requires you to move your pressure washer to get the whole vehicle washed. Either get a longer (35ft hose) or and extension hose. Personally, I`d get the longer hose.

I`d get this.......

Karcher K3.690 Pressure Washer

And this......

Walmart.com: Campbell Hausfeld 3/8`` x 50` Extension Hose up to 4000 PSI: Tools

Thanks for the advice. And I believe it was your post as to your new wash method that instigated my interest in a PWer.

It is a good point about buying local at a box store in order for easy exchanges. I assume most will let you just take the broken one in and get a new one? Anyone done this? The hose advice is also something I appreciate. Didn`t consider that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a word of advice..... I see "Lowes" being mentioned here a few times and I would strongly suggest you think twice before buying any pressure washer sold under their "Task Force" line. I was in a pinch one day and needed an electric PW for a project. It`s unlike me to buy things like this without doing at least some research and I have to say, I paid the price. It will go down in history as one of the worst products I have ever bought (in design, quality and performance it flat-out fails). Seriously, don`t waste your time. ....I did and now it`s also wasting space in my garage.

My experiences with other electric PW`s is limited but I am always keeping my ears open. I may have to check out Northern Tools. I recall my Dad had purchased several Karchers over the years and while they seemed decent (he was generally satisfied), there was no guarantee how long they would last. Seems par for the course from reviews I read about most electric PW`s. ....which is why I haven`t pulled the trigger on another one yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kean- Thanks for the caveat regarding the Task Force. Now that you mention it, I vaguely recall how you posted about that before.

RaskyR1- Thanks for the suggestion, but I want to go 120v for this one so I can also use it outside of the shop.

I do know what you mean about "more power!" though, after my gas-powered one all the 120v electrics seem kinda wimpy.

Post Thanks / Like
    The AR Blue you posted looks like a consumer level model. For that same money, I`d head over to Costco and grab whatever they have. Any model Costco sells is virtually indestructible if you keep your receipt.:eyebrows: All the consumer models WILL break or start leaking to the point you will want them to die in 3 years or less of regular use. Being able to return the turds is priceless. After my fourth consumer PW I went with an AR Blue 610, we`ll see how it holds up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Kean- Thanks for the caveat regarding the Task Force. Now that you mention it, I vaguely recall how you posted about that before.

RaskyR1- Thanks for the suggestion, but I want to go 120v for this one so I can also use it outside of the shop.

I do know what you mean about "more power!" though, after my gas-powered one all the 120v electrics seem kinda wimpy.

Well I don`t know what the specs were on your gas powered one but yeah, if you want good power with the electric you`ll likely have to go with a 220v unit, though some 110v/20amp units may do pretty well too (Cam Spray). The Northern tool one JuneBug listed will be closer to the power of some coin-opp washes. I just feel most the box store and other cheaper units are over rated with their specs. Kind of like going to Wal-Mart and buying an off brand 1000 watt car amplifier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another thing I should mention, and I don`t know if it will be specific to the model you are getting, but AR Blue uses their own "quick release" for their wands. So... if you wanted to get a foam lance or something of that nature, none of the quick release adapters will fit. I learned the hard way...

I got one of those small handheld pressure washers, and the only way I could connect the foam lance was to use the M22 adapter, or what I eventually did was buy another spray trigger so I wouldn`t have to screw on and off the foam lance every time I need to switch to the spray wand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1
    Well I don`t know what the specs were on your gas powered one but yeah, if you want good power with the electric you`ll likely have to go with a 220v unit, though some 110v/20amp units may do pretty well too (Cam Spray). The Northern tool one JuneBug listed will be closer to the power of some coin-opp washes...

That`s kinda what I figured. The lower power will probably be OK for what I`m planning for this one, but I won`t be surprised if it whets my appetite and I end up buying another gas powered one eventually.

The CamSPray1000MX (I think that`s the model) is mighty tempting, but it`s over a $grand too...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Strokes77
    Gentleman,

I am in the market for a pressure washer. My new plan is to save time by pressure washing before a rinseless wash. I am only interested in maintaining my personal vehicles, so figure this thing will be used about 10 minutes max, every 2 weeks. Looking at similar models to this:

Amazon.com: AR Blue Clean AR383 1,900 PSI 1.5 GPM 14 Amp Electric Pressure Washer with Hose Reel: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Any thoughts, or suggestions, or things to look for. I always appreciate advice from this forum.

Thanks.

I have been looking for a new pressure washer (do not like my gas unit). If you look at the amazon reviews for these units, the more recent reviews (last year or so) have not been kind in terms of reliability. There seems to be a high fall out rate for most any consumer electric pressure washer under $300. The typical consumer units are usually all plastic construction with plastic thread attachment points that cause all sorts of issues (would need to buy brass ones).

I also had wanted the "cart" style but now leaning toward something like the AR610 for $500. It has a different form factor but has a better pump and designed to last. The psi is not as high as some (plenty good enough on paint) but has a 2GPM rating and runs on a 15A circuit. Yes, you get pressure washer for your money with a gas one but I do not like all the issues with gas (noise, gas/oil, extra winterizing steps, etc).

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    Bunky, that is a great unit. If I had a stand alone shop, I would have nothing but an electric unit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Again, I am taking the approach that I will only very occasionally use this. How long will one last if I use it once a month?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information