Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven`t posted in this forum for like 6-7 years I think if not longer.

I fell off the detailing bandwagon as I just don`t have the same amount of time as before.

I`m now looking for a PC with all the pads and everything. I`m a newb in polishing so I want a somewhat complete kit that does a good job and does not need to be professional grade. Is $200 enough to cover it? I read about PCX and Griots or something like that. Is that the best kit for me?

Any links for deals/sales would be great. Please help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Its hard to beat the Griots kit when its an Amazon gold box deal. Strongest machine at that price point and the best warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    What is gold box deal? is the link posted at $199 the best value I can expect? or does it get better?

Post Thanks / Like
    I like this kit from ADS - get three yellow, two green and two black pads. You can also get some M105 and M205 from them (8.99 for 8 oz or 10.99 for 12 oz) - all for less than 200 dollars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SC5spd
    What is gold box deal? is the link posted at $199 the best value I can expect? or does it get better?

On Cyber Monday this kit was on sale for $99.99 and a couple of weeks later the GG6" by itself was on sale for $80.00. If you are patient it will be back again, just keep watching and move quick once it goes on sale. http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/all...odeId=15684181

Post Thanks / Like
    BJ`s has the Griots 6" da for regular price of $99 for the model with the 25ft cord. Sells else where for $144.

Post Thanks / Like
    is that only your local BJ`s? because it is still listed as $139.99:

Griot`s Garage 6" Random Orbital with 25` Cord - BJ`s Wholesale Club

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by umi000
    I like this kit from ADS - get three yellow, two green and two black pads. You can also get some M105 and M205 from them (8.99 for 8 oz or 10.99 for 12 oz) - all for less than 200 dollars.

Seems like a good kit--wonder why they don`t allow you to choose orange pads instead of yellow? Have you considered UNO as a polish HD Uno HD Poxy Professional Sizes --and you get a free bottle of Poxy LSP. I`m leaning in this direction as a newbie also--seems simpler dealing with one product for cut, polish and finishing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pwaug
    Seems like a good kit--wonder why they don`t allow you to choose orange pads instead of yellow? Have you considered UNO as a polish HD Uno HD Poxy Professional Sizes --and you get a free bottle of Poxy LSP. I`m leaning in this direction as a newbie also--seems simpler dealing with one product for cut, polish and finishing.

You can usually select any pad from those they stock - if you can`t pick one, it means they`re out of stock at that particular time for that color.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by umi000
    You can usually select any pad from those they stock - if you can`t pick one, it means they`re out of stock at that particular time for that color.

I know, that`s why I was confused. Orange pads are in stock, but they don`t list them as a choice with that kit. I`m all set as I just recently got the GG6 and am going to go with Buff and Shine pads, but everything I`ve read would suggest Orange, Green and Red (to match up with the HD pads) for basic pads rather than yellow.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know, that`s why I was confused. Orange pads are in stock, but they don`t list them as a choice with that kit..

I suspect that the orange pads sell well on their own, and the yellow pads don`t. So making the yellow ones part of the kit is an easy way to move them.

I`d buy the right pads for the job, even if it costs a bit more. And FWIW, I can`t imagine ever using yellow foam cutting pads with the GG polisher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    And FWIW, I can`t imagine ever using yellow foam cutting pads with the GG polisher.
    A newbie question: Why is that? What about a 4" yellow to do spot corrections?

Post Thanks / Like
    I know, that`s why I was confused. Orange pads are in stock, but they don`t list them as a choice with that kit. I`m all set as I just recently got the GG6 and am going to go with Buff and Shine pads, but everything I`ve read would suggest Orange, Green and Red (to match up with the HD pads) for basic pads rather than yellow.

Hmmm, that is a bit strange. If you check the six pack of pads, you can select the orange pad there. Perhaps try and give them a call?

Post Thanks / Like
    A newbie question: Why is that? What about a 4" yellow to do spot corrections?

I find yellow cutting pads a) don`t correct better than/as well as other options, b) those other options leave a much better finish, and c) are safer.

Orange foam cutting pads are usually sufficiently aggressive. If not, the burgundy Meguiar`s foam cutting pads (both the old 7006 and the newer version, which comes in different sizes) usually cut great and again, leave things in better condition.

But these days, for serious correction I`d be all about the new-tech MF cutting pads. OK, and SurBuf (sp?!?) pads, though those haven`t worked as well for me as they have for others. The MF cutting pads really are game-changers with the right products, and FWIW I`m kinda hard to impress where such stuff is concerned

I have yellow foam cutting pads. More than a few in various sizes. Haven`t touched them in years. Well, I did try them on a few particularly challenging corrections, and found that I had other pads (both wool, yeah...wool with a PC, and foam) that worked *MUCH* better. And again, these days I just reach for the MF cutting pads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information