Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you all give me some product suggestions for prewax cleaners that are gentle enough to be applied by hand and will not marr or microscratch softer finishes? The vehicle I am working on neeeds no correction, but I want to use something in liquid form that will clean any kind of grime or stuff that washing cannot get to get a clean surface. Apparently honda black doesn`t like Poorboys Carnuba Blue Polish (bottle says non abrasive) applied via Meguiars microfiber hand applicators, since I can see some visible light micromarring after using it in a test section.

Being botique or OTC products doesn`t make a difference as long as they work well with LSPs like 845, DG 105, BFWD, and FK1000P. I was looking in the parts store and saw the blue Zymol Cleaner Wax that you can practically find at any store anymore, along with the Mothers California Gold Pre-Wax Cleaner. Are either of these any good, and will they affect the bonding of certain LSPs? Open to any suggestions. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    KAIO is a great base for most stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like Menzerna Finish Polish PO85RD with a finishing pad. It cleans the surface so you can apply your LSP`s. Menzerna Polish PO85RD, Mernzerna 85rd, Menzerna finish po85rd
    MDRX8

Post Thanks / Like
    Zaino all in one would be my first choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    I totally forgot about KAIO. If I remember correctly it supposedly has a wattery consistency. I`ll have to get some and give it a try.

For a softer finish vehicle is it best to use a foam hand applicator or a microfiber applicator? I am assuming that KAIO works well with sealants and carnubas layered on it after, correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    What about using KAIO with a PC and foam pad? I am assuming something like a grey pad should be fine and not overly agressive. I know that when using by hand you are supposed to dampen the applicator with water before using KAIO, what about with a foam pad with a PC?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve heard great things bout sonax

Post Thanks / Like
    For carnaubas, the classic Mothers PWC is excellent and I`d recommend Victoria Wax Lite/Deep Cleanses too. On soft finishes, apply them with a finessing pad on a DA.

If you want protection, chemical cleaning and some abrasive action, KAIO, ZAIO (but the latter can/may be a bit too aggressive on really soft paints).

Post Thanks / Like
    Dodo Juice Lime Prime Lite works very well on ANY paint. I have never had a problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RedlineIRL
    What about using KAIO with a PC and foam pad?

That`s how I usually do it.

I am assuming something like a grey pad should be fine and not overly agressive.

If you have a more open/porous pad that`s mild enough (i.e., not so aggressive as to cause micromarring) I`d rather use that. But the finishing pads work OK too.

I know that when using by hand you are supposed to dampen the applicator with water before using KAIO, what about with a foam pad with a PC?

I`ve done it both ways with good results, but dampening it a little bit is probably worth doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    If you have a more open/porous pad that`s mild enough (i.e., not so aggressive as to cause micromarring) I`d rather use that. But the finishing pads work OK too.
    So a blue or red LC pad should be mild enough?

Post Thanks / Like
    So a blue or red LC pad should be mild enough?

Yeah, though that still leaves the Q "will the KAIO be mild enough?". And with a "tight" finishing pad you need to watch that it doesn`t get loaded with AIO/stuff that got cleaned off; any clumps on the pad can cause problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought that AIO was a chemical cleaner, not an abrasive, am I wrong on that? I can see your point about the pads being loaded and causing problems too. I guess the phrase take your time and check your work frequently will come into play here

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought that AIO was a chemical cleaner, not an abrasive, am I wrong on that?

It`s a matter of degree.

I always call KAIO "functionally nonabrasive", but people have used it after burnishing with Menzerna PO85rd and found that the KAIO diminished the gloss a little bit.

Unless you`re doing that with the PO85rd, I`d keep thinking of the KAIO as functionally nonabrasive. I`ve never had a paint that it caused problems on, but then I`ve never had any "stupid-soft" clear either and there`re all kinds of paint out there these days.

Post Thanks / Like
    According to a Carlack rep, the Klasse formula contains a 1 micron abrasive powder package.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information