Post Thanks / Like
    I have pics but they really didn`t capture anything worth mentioning. The pics make the car look like a million bucks but in the right sunlight another story is told....

I did a one step polish and full exterior/interior detail on this car. I limited it to a one step because I was doing it as a favor for a friend as a Bday Present to her father for very little money.

Regardless...The paint was in BAD shape. swirls and scratches EVERYWHERE.

I used my Flex 3401 with a Tangerine HT pad with D151. It added very nice gloss and depth to the paint but as far as paint correction...i am very disappointed. Maybe 10-20%. the paint remained with swirls and scratches everywhere....just not as severe as before...

I`m not sure what to think about this product. It did save me some time as i didn`t have to do a LSP at the end but i wonder if i used maybe Menz 203, HD UNO, or even Megs 105 on a white LC pad i would have gotten better results on the paint.

The owner was very happy regardless. Considering when he dropped it to me the color was so faded and dirty the car appeared to be almost a charcoal...

Feedback is appreciated....How do you guys achieve decent paint correction with D151?

Post Thanks / Like
    So did you deliver the car with only 10-20% correction or get it fixed up with another product? I mean I know you had to do it on the cheap, but only 10-20% correction? Did you have any other polishes on hand?

Post Thanks / Like
    Considering the customer was expecting the car to be wahsed and waxed I delivered it. They were very very happy with the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rez90 - you are talking about (in my opinion) the WORST PAINT MANUFACTURED these days.

Your expectations were too high. It isn`t the product. While I have never used 151, I know that it is an AIO type of product.

Jet black paint takes a lot of work, and definitely needs more than a 1 step process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tdekany
    .... definitely needs more than a 1 step process.

Bingo.

Rez90,

I love D151. It has a lot of cut for a 1-step. But that doesn`t mean has has a lot of cut overall. Compared to products designed for heavy reconditioning, D151 is very mild.

If you have severe defects you`re going to need something much more aggressive.

pc.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I read that D151 was designed for rotary use. I know it sucks if you use a PC and don`t work the snot out of it!
    All I have in this world is my word, and my balls and I don`t break `em for no one, you understand?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh I gotcha man, didn`t know they were expecting wash and wax. Maybe give Uno a shot next time during a one-step and see how it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    D151 is a good AIO, but it does have it`s limitations as most AIOs. It was primarily designed for high volume reconditioning shops, It wasn`t designed to replace a multiple step correction process. Overall though it is a good product, glad to hear your customer was happy.
    :buffingolishing paint removes the stress in my life, and the swirls on my car.:buffing:

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to step it up to a better cleaner. Menzerna SIP followed by Menzerna PO85RD or your D151 would work well. Or UNO followed by POXY. Use of the correct pads is a must.

You can go to glimmering glass detailing Samples and pick up some samples!!!
    MDRX8

Post Thanks / Like
    Most detailers I know would often try to steer a customer away from using an AIO on a black car because of the exact reason you are complaining. I mean if they are only wanting a wash and wax, fine, but otherwise you and them will be disappointed IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used 151 on a black Subaru (soft clear) with a DA and was not happy with the outcome at all. Now here`s the thing... the mess that 151 left *could* give the impression that it didn`t do any correction at all. But in this case, looks are deceiving; what you`re looking at after taking 151 to a soft clear (and your BMW Jet Black is among the softest clears out there) is *not* a lack of correction, but rather the leftover compounding swirls. You pretty much took out all/most of the defects and the 151 replaced it with it`s own. I like 151 *on the correct clears*, but used on soft paint, it`ll leave a bloody mess behind. If you`re using a DA, try following up the 151 with 85rd. If you`re using a rotary, try following up the 151 with Menz FPII or 3M Ultrafina. Either one of these will fix the 151 mess. It may take a couple of applications of one of these finishing polishes to get the finish you`re looking for.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Thread Information