Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a new [to me] car about 2 months ago. I drive 400 miles a week in Michigan, so the weather is almost always changing. I figured it would be a good opportunity to test some products. I started a wax test on my truck earlier this year, and before getting follow up pictures/video, I sold my truck :doh: I promise I will try to follow through :biggrin1:

I started by washing/stripping the car. The mirror housings were taped down the middle and the product was applied to each side. The strip in the middle is bare plastic, which will allow for a base for comparison.

The first two products used were Opti-Bond [left, inside] and Adam`s Super VRT [right, outside]

Opti-bond [on the left]: Opti-bond, is very easy to apply and is quite thick. I have applied it to tires, trim, and other plastics with no problems. I have gotten great durability when applied to tires, especially 1:1 mixed with water as it gets great coverage coming out of a spray bottle. I applied it to the mirror housing, and came back a while later to remove any excess residue. The look was very similar to the Adam`s SVRT

Adam`s SVRT [on the right]: The Super VRT, is the waterproof version of their VRT. It smells good [like black magic tire gel], and is very thick. It actually spreads very thin, which I enjoyed because it`s incredibly overpriced compared to other dressings. It gives a darkened look [like most dressings], but makes the mirror housings look "dressed" versus naturally dark.

On the passenger side of the vehicle, I used what I would consider to be, longer lasting options. The products used were Collinite 845 [left, outside] and BlackWow [right, inside].

Collinite 845 [on the left]: 845, on the left, has been my go-to protection on this type of plastic. It was the type of plastic that I had on my truck, and I had several months of durability out of it. It does not look as shiny as most dressings, but darkens the plastic so it looks new. In order to avoid white spots, I use the Wipe on Wipe off approach that Accumulator talks about so much. And after following his direction, I have found this to be a great protectant on various types of trim. You need very little product to get the desired look.

Black Wow [on the right]: I have barely used any of my BW, since I got it. I have used it more for restorative purposes versus a dressing. I figured I could get a good idea of it`s actual durability with this type of test. I used a foam applicator and very little product. This product is comparable to the Adam`s SVRT in how it makes the plastic dark and shiny.

Here are a few misc pictures of the mirror housings

This is my almost 3 week update as today was a good day to present recent findings. In the past 3 weeks it was anywhere from 30 degrees to 80 degrees. It rained 5-7 of the days, and I park outside at work for 10 hours a day [6 of which are in the sun]. My car is garaged and gets washed on average twice a week. I have put about 1,300 miles on my car in the last 3 weeks, and here are the results.

The Opti-bond is essentially dead. It is still on the plastic, as the characteristics of it`s side are different than the middle, which was not protected/dressed at all. The Adam`s SVRT is still beading fairly well, but the looks have diminished. It is no where near as dark as it first was. Neither product have kept the dark finish they started with.

The 845 and BlackWow look fantastic. The noticeable change is that the BlackWow is not as shiny as it first began, but it is still dark and beads water very well. The 845 is still dark and beads water on this textured plastic like it does on does on paint.

Black wow beading

Because this is my personal car and I like to dress/protect/test on it, I am in no need of a permanent solution. I am also a huge fan of Meguiar`s Hyperdressing, although I figured that my highly diluted solution I use would not be worth testing just yet. Maybe next time I can test those. I will update this thread in a week or two, or when one of the dressings dies off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great pics. I`d like to see the effects of a coating like Opti Coat and linseed oil.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice comparison! I am very interested in how 845 performs long-term. I use either Original Armor All or Poorboy`s Trim Restorer...both have good looks but neither last very long. Plus, it always nice to have a versatile product.

Post Thanks / Like
    I honestly had no idea you could use 845 on plastic trim.

And all this time I`ve been doing my best to keep it away from texture plastic figuring it would stain....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dschribs

And all this time I`ve been doing my best to keep it away from texture plastic figuring it would stain....

Accumulator mentions it often, so I figured I`d try it. Works like a charm on my Mazda!

Post Thanks / Like
    My Wife`s `08 CRV is covered in black plastic. 845 on everything and it looks great. An Accumulator tips. KAIO works nice as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very useful test! Thank you.

TBH from the `dry` pics I cannot differentiate a lot, but I am sure that up close differences are much more discernible.

Could I nominate CG new look trim gel and 303 AP as the next `contenters` on the right (as we look from the front) mirror?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ch96067
    Very useful test! Thank you.

TBH from the `dry` pics I cannot differentiate a lot, but I am sure that up close differences are much more discernible.

Could I nominate CG new look trim gel and 303 AP as the next `contenters` on the right (as we look from the front) mirror?

I do have 303AP that I could test, I completely forgot about that, but I don`t have any CG products. I almost got their Extreme VRT to pit against the Adam`s SVRT. If the OB is dead in the next few days I could add 303AP to the mix.

Post Thanks / Like
    How about a nomination for UTTG+? I was waiting for my next big order from AG to get some due to several reviews on its great durability. I`ve had a hard time with dressings/LSPs on the plastic portion of the bumper covers on my `07 MDX with regards to either streaking or durability (mostly streaking, it is quite a bit of real estate to get a perfectly thin layer on, not to mention the fact that all of the water flows down the vehicle onto the bumper covers).

Post Thanks / Like
    303 would probably wear/wash away like AA does. I`ve been impressed with PERL`s performance in recent testing. I`ve had it on my window cowl for about three weeks, still a rich look.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome test man, looking forward to more results!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dschribs

x2

I would have NEVER thought to use 845 on trim.

Post Thanks / Like
    Apply it with a DA, and you`ll blink into the camera like the coyote in the Road Runner... It`s ridiculously effective and easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the review. It is not often you see a comparion of Adam`s VRT against anything.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunky
    Thanks for the review. It is not often you see a comparion of Adam`s VRT against anything.

Al, you had good success with the Poor Boys product, correct? I remember you tested a few trim products on your Dakota.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information