Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob4092xx
    Guys.....the only thing worth a while is Gtechniq C4. I put it on the trim of my wife`s Ford Expedition and WOW!

I purchased a second bottle for my Hummer and all I can say is WOW!

This stuff is outrageously expensive but it sure makes your trim look like new again. I researched the crap out of it before buying and everyone says they get 1 to 2 years out of it.

I can see why after applying it as it leaves a hardened type surface once it dries. I have since washed both my Expedition and Hummer several times since application and nothing washed off! No greasey mess at all.

That`s all well and good, but let`s say I use 1/25th of an ounce of 845 on an applicator and am able to coat my mirror housing in about 30 seconds and I get 3 months of durability out of it? It not greasy, not overly shiny, and looks great on stock trim. It is incredibly cost effective and effortless to use for my daily driver. G4 may be the perfect permanent solution, but to each their own. I don`t mind reapplying 845 once or twice a year if needed, even if it only takes 30 seconds and I do it when it`s convenient.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KneeDragr
    Wow, Ive been using FK1000p on my daily driver but you need to avoid trim at all costs with that stuff....Anyone know if the Collonite paste waxes offer similar trim protection? Do any of them outperform 845 in terms of longevity? I usually prefer paste waxes, but If the 845 is the way to go it will be in my next order.

I`ve actually used FK1000P on textured black plastic trim! Did it on the exterior trim of the Yukon XLD. But it`s kinda tricky to avoid big problems, so...well..."don`t try this at home, kids!" probably applies. But I did want to mention that it can work OK.

The same goes for using 476S on trim; I`ve done it (all exterior plastic and *rubber* on an old Volvo 245 wagon) and had it come out OK, but when it goes haywire it`s a big PIA.

So...I`d stick with 845 if you want to do the "LSP your trim" approach, and be sure to W-O-W-O.

Others I do this with regularly that work great- KAIO (which I generally use to prep for the 845), KSG (works *GREAT*), and Souveran (only problem is durability).

Many (most?) plastic trim responds OK to Hi-Temp 357/Heavy Cut Leveler and also to 1Z Paint Polish.

To keep this kind of thing looking good/lasting, I use leaves-stuff-behind type QDs at every wash. FK425 (glossy) or FK146 (less glossy), Griot`s SpeedShine (little change in appearance most of the time), or ValuGard`s FastFinish (low-key, less glossy..or at least I *think* so, just started experimenting with it).

You can use the Sonus Acrylic Spritz stuff on KSG if you want to boost it but don`t want to mess around with a full-blown KSG application.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by umi000
    The order of durability (according to Collinite), from most durable to least, is 476, 915, 845. However, I don`t know if the paste ones would stain trim (I`ve only used 845). Accumulator would probably know - I recall he mentioned using 845 before topping with 476, which if I remember keeps the 476 from staining?

I`ve stained plastic trim with 476S in some circumstances. Just anecdotal but of course YMMV.

Post Thanks / Like
    To clarify- despite my "I`ve done it...", I would *NOT* recommend anybody try 476S on trim. Yeah, it`s more likely to turn out OK if you use KAIO, then 845 first, but seriously, I just wouldn`t do it. Easier to redo 845 every now and then than to deal with 476S staining even once.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am up to about 4,000 miles, dozens of washes, and now snow as a part of the elements that have sit on my car.

And the ever telling flash shot

This is probably the first time I have religiously updated a thread, but the protection is still the way it was from the start and I figured I would keep the pictures coming, even though they look about the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Leadfootluke- Glad it`s working so well, and that you`re updating. Reading about your experience might help convince more people to try it.

You`re not even using a leaves-stuff-behind QD on it, are you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Leadfootluke- Glad it`s working so well, and that you`re updating. Reading about your experience might help convince more people to try it.

You`re not even using a leaves-stuff-behind QD on it, are you?

I am using Optimum Instant Detailer diluted 4:1 as a drying aid. However, I use compressed air to remove water after washing and rinsing, so the OID primarily gets used on the paint, the mirror housings usually require one wipe with a dry MF and no OID.

Post Thanks / Like
    Leadfootluke- Ah, OK. I`m currently using ValuGard`s Fast Finish on such surfaces, trying to decide if I like it as well as/better than stuff like FK or SpeedShine.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is about a week short of a 3 month update, but the weather is taking a turn for the worse, so I am taking as taking pictures while the weather cooperates.

4500 miles driven, lots of rain in the last couple weeks, and a lot of car washes with Optimum Car Wash and ONR alike.

The 845

The 845, and a very faint tape line. You can actually see, in the right light, the tape line on both sides.

And just for fun, on the driver`s side mirror, I used Klasse AIO on the plastic to clean it, and then I laid down a tape line did 845 on the inside this time, and 476 on the outside.

Thanks for checking in

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadfootluke
    ...And just for fun, on the driver`s side mirror, I used Klasse AIO on the plastic to clean it, and then I laid down a tape line did 845 on the inside this time, and 476 on the outside....

Ooooh, brave man there, following in my footsteps with the 476S! Glad that worked out OK with no staining. Now watch and see what happens; when I did it, once the 476S died, it looked *bad*, worse than when 845 needed redone. No biggie in a way, just redo it, but it really did look awful, the dead-wax artifacts looked like a mild case of "wax staining the trim". I`ll be interested to hear what happens for you, I was working on a really neglected vehicle and you`re not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ooooh, brave man there, following in my footsteps with the 476S! Glad that worked out OK with no staining. Now watch and see what happens; when I did it, once the 476S died, it looked *bad*, worse than when 845 needed redone. No biggie in a way, just redo it, but it really did look awful, the dead-wax artifacts looked like a mild case of "wax staining the trim". I`ll be interested to hear what happens for you, I was working on a really neglected vehicle and you`re not.

I have never held back product testing, and I really look forward to how long 845 lasts and how long 476 lasts and how long it looks good.

The good [and...bad thing], is that there is a bit of that similarly textured plastic on the car. Which means I have a good protection option in 845.

I wish I could speed up time though, so far the 845 looks the exact same as it did on day 1, and that includes a few different washes, Instant Detailers that may have gotten onto it, overspray from stripping wax on other parts, etc. The beading properties have decreased, but it looks the same. I wonder if an APC would bring back the OEM look, or if 845 on trim is detergent proof as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never held back product testing, and I really look forward to how long 845 lasts and how long 476 lasts and how long it looks good...

Heh heh, I`m tempted to challenge you to try doing trim with FK1000P, another "don`t try this at home, kids!" approach that I`ve done OK with.

I wish I could speed up time though...

Heh heh, I read that and thought "OMG, he must be a lot younger than I am!" :chuckle: But yeah, I know what you mean regarding this test...

.. I wonder if an APC would bring back the OEM look, or if 845 on trim is detergent proof as well.

I`ve never tried to deliberately kill off the LSP on trim that I can recall, I just wait until time/wear/etc. makes it need redone. And, since I`m not testing the wayt you are, I use QDs to help it hang on. I`m currently liking AutoInt/ValuGar`s Fast Finish for use on black trim.

Post Thanks / Like
    Heh heh, I`m tempted to challenge you to try doing trim with FK1000P, another "don`t try this at home, kids!" approach that I`ve done OK with.

If you send me an ounce of it, I will do put it on anything.

Heh heh, I read that and thought "OMG, he must be a lot younger than I am!" :chuckle: But yeah, I know what you mean regarding this test...

I didn`t realize you aged

I`ve never tried to deliberately kill off the LSP on trim that I can recall, I just wait until time/wear/etc. makes it need redone. And, since I`m not testing the way you are, I use QDs to help it hang on. I`m currently liking AutoInt/ValuGar`s Fast Finish for use on black trim.

Hmmm, do you used Fast Finish on the paint too, or just black trim? That is cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you send me an ounce of it, I will do put it on anything...

Hmm..I might just do that.

I didn`t realize you aged

Heh heh, I sometimes think my "keep the vehciles showroom-new looking!" is part of some "I`m not aging" strategy; like...I can`t be getting older, my car`s still brand-new!"

Hmmm, do you used Fast Finish on the paint too, or just black trim? That is cheap.

I`ve only used it on trim. This`ll maybe sound weird, but I just have the feeling I wouldn`t like it as well as my other leaves-stuff-behind QDs and so, since I only have some little sample bottles, I`m just using it on trim. Though I did do the entire underneath of the S8 with it yesterday..sorta got carried away doing a really thorough job on that car.

It`s not as "bright" as FK425 and I like using wax-based QDs on the vehicles that I use waxes on. Eh, maybe I`ll be surprised (Ron Ketcham sure seems to think I`ll like it), we`ll see. But I also get the feeling it might not be quite as Accumulator-proof as my current faves. Again, we`ll see after I`ve tried it some more. But it`s maybe worth trying if you`re into comparing this stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s about time for an update, and since today was not raining or snowing I thought I would wash my car and get a few pictures. It was about 35 degrees outside and cloudy so the pictures aren`t great, but you can still see the line. I have driven about 5500 miles since I began testing, and have now seen snow, mud, and ice frozen on my car. This is right about day 100. Testing began in the second/third week of September.

Random pictures from after the wash.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information