Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did a side by side with PB`s and Black Wow. I thought they were very close with the edge to PB`s having the better look but I do believe various trim products work better on some plastics than others.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the 845, I wish the 915 was in a liquid paste like 845

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the 1 month update. In the last week, since my last update, I have driven 700 miles with it only raining once.

The Collinite 845 is still going as strong as it did on day 1. It beads well and cleans off very easily.

You can still see the tape line between the 845 and the Black Wow

When the trim was sprayed down, you can better see the difference in the two protectants.

This is the drivers side with the Adam`s SVRT on the outside and Opti-Bond on the inside. Neither are visible when the trim is dry.

When wet, you can see how each react to water differently, and how there is still a little bit of product left on both sides.

The Opti-Bond side looks like water is sheeting off, whereas the Adam`s side looks like a dying form of protection.

When *lightly* misted, the Adam`s SVRT beads fairly well.

I recently applied Collinite 845 to the trim on the sides of the roof to show how well it works.

After 1 month, I would conclude that the Optimum Opti-Bond did the worse. The trim was visibly dressed through 2 weeks, but before 3 weeks it was almost dead. The Adam`s Super VRT looked great the first day, but after 3 weeks, it also looked almost dead. In this most recent test, it was evident something was left behind after it appeared dead, but as a "dressing" it is dead. The Black Wow is still doing its job, and water beads off of it, but it looks spottier than a dressing should. I suppose 2,000 miles of bugs, rain, and other elements may have taken its toll too. The 845 still looks awesome. I can`t imagine not using it on this type of trim, unless you want a different look. However, in my opinion, it looks awesome. It`s dark, semi glossy, and is super slick. All washed have been done with Optimum Car Wash, with OID as the drying aid/QD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, great test I`m definitely going to try 845. Looks great for winterizing!

Post Thanks / Like
    I used 845 on my Sorento`s trim yesterday because of this and I am impressed. 845 is an awesome product!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have applied it on certain plastics and by waiting a *touch* too long, it stained. I just wiped it once more with 845 and it dissappeared, but you do need to use the Wipe on, wipe off approach.

Post Thanks / Like
    In my experience, 303AP will wash off in rain and leave streaks on dark paint. Light colors you may get away with it.

If you are going to use Collinite 845 (or its marine twin No. 925) its best to wash the plastic with a stronger APC (like 4:1) first to remove any contaminants that may inbed themselves in the plastic (like old wax or nasty bug guts that discolor plastic). Using an old toothbrush or a bigger brush on larger panels (like those on an Chevy Avalanche truck or Honda Element) works pretty good for this task. Hard rubber seals around the outside of windows require the same treatment. In fact, I KNOW that for many of you do-it-yourselfers/week-end warriors/OCDs (obsessive-compulsive detailers!), getting those nasty BLACK streaks on your washing medium (grout sponge,wool mitt,microfiber noodle pad) from wiping unclean black rubber trim is one of those things you HATE when washing someone else`s vehicle. It`s one of the FIRST things I do before washing someone else`s vehicle just to avoid that problem. And , yes, it may require 2 or 3 wipes with a dedicated microfiber towel (usually one that is older) before it comes clean. I like using S100 wax for hard rubber seals. For the softer inner door seals I still use 303AP, despite its tendency to wash off and streak.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the update leadfuteluke. If I had kept my 845 I would have tried it on my trim. Unfotunately it overturned and got spilt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is another update. I took pictures on October 21st and again on October 28th, and today, but they were all very similar, so here is my 7 week update with pictures I had uploaded from October 28th.

I have driven 3200 miles, I still park outside during the days and I am garage at night. We have seen frost and below freezing temperatures as well as 70* temperatures in the last couple weeks. It has rained probably 10 days since the last update as well. I am still washing the vehicle with OCW and using OID after my washes.

Here is the Collinite and Black Wow side.

The drivers side products have been dead since the last check in, but the Collinite 845 is going very strong. There is still a distinguishable line where the 845 and Black Wow are too. The 845 is still the strongest and almost looks like it has since day 1. I have also observed bugs being easily removed from the trim with 845 on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice review and picture!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great work with this testing of products.

I`m incredibly surprised by the results, both those that didn`t fare so well and those that excelled.

Had I guessed from the start, I would have put Black Wow at the top of my list and would have never have put the 845 as high as it performed. It actually looks better at the 7 week mark than my fav. Black Wow.

I`m so shocked that I`m going to go down the basement tomorrow, weather permitting, and grab my bottle of 845 and do all the plastic trim on my Ford Escape. It`s an older model with that black plastic stuff on most of the outside.

I`m laughing a bit because Accumulator said it was good for trim but sometimes I have to be beat over the head with a 2x4 before things actually sink in a bit.

My Ford will look good tomorrow.

Thanks again for your work. Great review.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, Ive been using FK1000p on my daily driver but you need to avoid trim at all costs with that stuff. This is probably the best reason in my book to switch to 845, I can protect the trim at the same time. If I could get 3 months of trim and paint protection out of this stuff I would never use trim darkening products after washing again.

Anyone know if the Collonite paste waxes offer similar trim protection? Do any of them outperform 845 in terms of longevity? I usually prefer paste waxes, but If the 845 is the way to go it will be in my next order.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KneeDragr
    Wow, Ive been using FK1000p on my daily driver but you need to avoid trim at all costs with that stuff. This is probably the best reason in my book to switch to 845, I can protect the trim at the same time. If I could get 3 months of trim and paint protection out of this stuff I would never use trim darkening products after washing again.

Anyone know if the Collonite paste waxes offer similar trim protection? Do any of them outperform 845 in terms of longevity? I usually prefer paste waxes, but If the 845 is the way to go it will be in my next order.

The order of durability (according to Collinite), from most durable to least, is 476, 915, 845. However, I don`t know if the paste ones would stain trim (I`ve only used 845). Accumulator would probably know - I recall he mentioned using 845 before topping with 476, which if I remember keeps the 476 from staining?

Post Thanks / Like
    You should do another round of testing. This time include "Solution Finish" along with the other products to be tested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys.....the only thing worth a while is Gtechniq C4. I put it on the trim of my wife`s Ford Expedition and WOW!

I purchased a second bottle for my Hummer and all I can say is WOW!

This stuff is outrageously expensive but it sure makes your trim look like new again. I researched the crap out of it before buying and everyone says they get 1 to 2 years out of it.

I can see why after applying it as it leaves a hardened type surface once it dries. I have since washed both my Expedition and Hummer several times since application and nothing washed off! No greasey mess at all.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information