Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I have ONR, Megs Quik Detailers, Final Touch, and Adams QD. I realize that I only use these products as a drying aid - one or two sprays per panel as I wipe down. I`m going to keep ONR for door jams, etc, but just for the purpose of a spray or two as I wipe down the car, what would be slicker? Should I just go with something like optimum spray wax? I don`t want anything that will haze or require a buffing pass, not even just a couple of swipes with a dry towel - I want to keep is as a simple mist or two per wet panel and dry as normal. It also must be something that I can spray blindly on the whole car - trim, plastic, glass, etc. Is optimum spray wax truly a haze-free, spray on a wet surface and immediately wipe product?

I`ve read some archived threads about a bunch of quick detailers like FK425, etc, but a lot of the threads focus on cleaning ability or other things I`m not concerned about and don`t discuss those in the context of comparing to a spray wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    extrabolts- While I do try to keep `em off the glass and tires (dunno if it`s necessary, just me being me), I use FK425 and FK146 for that. I also use Griot`s SpeedShine on vehicles with wax for their LSP.

The FK425 is the slickness champ IME.

Note that Ron Ketcham has talked me into trying AI/ValuGard`s Fast Finish for this...we`ll see what I think of it. Zero complaints about the three I`m currently using though, all do what we`re talking about here and all are utterly Accumulator-proof.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like Griot`s Speedshine for a drying aid. It`s one of my favorite "waxy" qd`s. For inspection during polishing or cleaning up polish residue I like Meg`s #34, but for a quick shine/drying aid, speedshine does it for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I should have been clearer. I`m not necessarily looking for a drying aid, just something that adds slickness that I can use in the drying process without changing my current routine, which is why I`m kicking around the idea of a spray wax. Can we still call FK directly and get gallons drop-shipped for really cheap?

Post Thanks / Like
    Before I had a good blower to get off most of the water, I have used Valugard Fast Finish as a drying agent. Performed pretty good for me. It will leave behind a slick finish. Can only order from Valugard but IIRC it was decently priced.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is another Fast Finish 2 Bottles of 16oz. Finish Fast Spray Enhancer/Detailer ......

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D
    Before I had a good blower to get off most of the water, I have used Valugard Fast Finish as a drying agent. Performed pretty good for me. It will leave behind a slick finish. Can only order from Valugard but IIRC it was decently priced.
    MDRX8

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if its re-labelled Valugard Fast Finish :nixweiss Ron Ketcham might know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by extrabolts
    Thanks. I should have been clearer. I`m not necessarily looking for a drying aid, just something that adds slickness that I can use in the drying process without changing my current routine, which is why I`m kicking around the idea of a spray wax. Can we still call FK directly and get gallons drop-shipped for really cheap?

I do like all three of the QDs I mentioned for that exact purpose, sorta a wimpy version of the spray-wax idea with little chance of streaking/etc. (which I`ve heard can be an issue with genuine spray-waxes).

Can`t say about ordering FK these days as my last purchase will last me for ages :nixweiss

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D

"Pretty good", huh? :think: Do I sense a case of damning with faint praise there?

Even with my AirWand and compressor, I simply *won`t* dry without my QDs unless I have a very compelling reason. No "pretty good" about it in my case

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

"Pretty good", huh? :think: Do I sense a case of damning with faint praise there?

Even with my AirWand and compressor, I simply *won`t* dry without my QDs unless I have a very compelling reason. No "pretty good" about it in my case

Demanding man! :yo:

Nothing damning about my evaluation. It`s pretty good. Shoulda inserted a . I didn`t find it jaw droppingly, knocked-out-of-the-park terrific or anything like that. It`s not a nirvana product, but I have a real hard time qualifying any of my products as truly that.

It`s worth it to have in the stash, that`s what I hope to clearly communicate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill D- OK, roger that. Now I`m really looking forward to testing the stuff!

See, those three QDs I mentioned *are* out-of-the-park winners for me. Jaw-dropping too, literally, at least upon occasion. Kinda surprising how much I like `em.

Kinda surprised Ketch doesn`t share my enthusiasm for the FK146 too, but :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    I currently do not use either FK425 or DG951 as drying aid, but rather as a last wipe down on my dried off car. My understanding from reading around is that both can do what you are looking for extrabolts.

I would be tempted to try FK425 next time as it will both save time and make drying with a ww less marring prone. My only concern is that I recall reading somewhere a risk of the ww sort of losing its absorbing ability (permenantly after a while) because of the QD or QW.

Any thoughts on this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ch96067
    My only concern is that I recall reading somewhere a risk of the ww sort of losing its absorbing ability (permenantly after a while) because of the QD or QW.

Any thoughts on this?

While my WWMFs always seem to eventually become less effective, I don`t believe the QD contributes to that. But then I wash `em in very hot water and pretreat them with Dawn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Bill D- OK, roger that. Now I`m really looking forward to testing the stuff!

See, those three QDs I mentioned *are* out-of-the-park winners for me. Jaw-dropping too, literally, at least upon occasion. Kinda surprising how much I like `em.

Kinda surprised Ketch doesn`t share my enthusiasm for the FK146 too, but :nixweiss

I take your evaluations as gold. Heck, already brought two pieces of equipment this year on your recommendation, so I`m sure sooner or later I`ll give FK146 a whirl too

The Fast Finish ought to be nice and slick and you can buff it once you dry with your drying MF.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ch96067
    My only concern is that I recall reading somewhere a risk of the ww sort of losing its absorbing ability (permenantly after a while) because of the QD or QW.

Any thoughts on this?

When I QD, then dry with a WW MF, always pat dry. Haven`t had absorbancy issues with them. Only some *old* ones got this way. The absorbancy might go due to age more so than QD use IME.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright, well no recommenations for spray wax so I guess I`ll just stick with the detail spray route. I`ll pick up FK425 (finally), and since Speedshine is available in an Advanced only a couple of miles from me, well you know I`ve got to try that one too. That would give me six, which sounds a lot like time for a detail spray comparison thread.

Not too concerned about ruining absorbancy - I`ve become a fan of the Vroom drying towels from Target which are cheap enough that if I have to replace one or two per year it is no big deal.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information