Post Thanks / Like
    Nord-Viscount manufactures the "World`s Finest" auto polish

I know this stuff can`t be as good as some out today, but what if you could get it really cheap? There`s a salvage store near my house that has a few cans for $4. Since it`s going on ebay for $15 or so and the information (or lack thereof) on here compared it to Liquid Glass, I figured it couldn`t hurt to buy a can. I know it`s old, but does anyone have any experience with it?

Post Thanks / Like
    I used it back in the 70`s on everything. It has mostly chemical cleaners. It applies and removes very easily. When doing 2 coats, as recommend, I`ve never seen anything (with the possible exception of Meguiars UQD) bead water as well (that includes Meguiars #16 and various Collinite products).

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello. I have a question about Astroshield, too. Specifically, is it compatible with waxes like Meguiar`s paste wax, etc. and if so, would it be applied before of after.

I ask because I used to use only Astro on my cars years ago and it really seemed to do a great job protecting the paint and shining it. But I switched to more readily available Meguiar`s waxes, etc. and sometimes get some wax put on at the car wash in the winter when I`m in a pinch. I have a few new cans of Astro laying around and wonder if maybe it could be used in conjunction with the clay barring, waxing, etc. I`ve been doing.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mush-Mouth
    I think I remember using their clay lube called Astro Glide a few years ago. Can`t comment on on Astroshield though. If its like their lube, its got to be pretty wet.

Perfect!:chuckle:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mush-Mouth
    I think I remember using their clay lube called Astro Glide a few years ago. Can`t comment on on Astroshield though. If its like their lube, its got to be pretty wet.

Is that a fact? lol

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I would go with Zanio AIO. It is a awesome product. As years have gone by Zanio keeps his products up to date withthe latest components available.
    MDRX8

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been using it for the last 5 years or so on 4 different restorations. Our current project is an 82 Vette with a very deep Charcoal black paint. I love the stuff. I do not use any wax or anything else on top of it. Clay / polish if needed, then I machine apply this just as if it was wax. WHen it comes off, it leaves such a beautiful shine and smooth surface! There are some tricks ... 1) shake the product well 2) put on at least 3 coats to begin to get that luster and eliminate the application lines 3) make the coats thin.

I bought 20 cans about 5 years ago and still have 8 left. Used it back in the 70`s on all my cars.
    Rick

74 Lotus Europa

80 Triumph Spitfire

82 Corvette

life is too short not to have toys !

Post Thanks / Like
    I used it too after a resotration place locally turned me on to it. Unfortunately, they are no longer in business, and the product is not easy to come by. It was easy on, easy off, layered very well leaving time in between coats, and kept my `73 mustang in incredible shape for many years. I`ll miss it... only have a half can left which I use on the dd 1997 Caravan.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks!

Is it ok to put paste wax on top of a few coats of Astroshield? I want to build as much protection as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not sure you`ll want to paste over the Astroshield. Just keep layering the Astroshield. I had so much on my mustang at one point it seemed that I had another full layer of clear coat on. Don`t think the past will have any issues except that it probably won`t bond as well to the surface as it would normally.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Black99miata
    I`m not sure you`ll want to paste over the Astroshield. Just keep layering the Astroshield. I had so much on my mustang at one point it seemed that I had another full layer of clear coat on. Don`t think the past will have any issues except that it probably won`t bond as well to the surface as it would normally.

That`s what I wondered.

Today, instead of clay barring and putting Meg`s wax on it, I just went with a coat of astroshield. I`m not all that impressed with the shine compared to Meg`s nxt, etc.

So I`m not sure what to do next. More astroshield or switch back to wax. If I go back to wax, do I need to clay bar it first?

Post Thanks / Like
    Wait ... Give it a chance. THe first coat does NOT look good. Has swirl marks from the application, etc. Put 2 more coats on and trust. Make sure that the coats are thin. Totally let dry, then wipe / buff. THen another coat a few hours later. give it 2-3 coats then make the decision. I did the same with the Vette and the Mustang. Mustang now looks 10 inches thick!
    Rick

74 Lotus Europa

80 Triumph Spitfire

82 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like
    OK. Might as well! Thanks.

I went back to it because it was all I ever used on my 1996 red Honda Civic. It seemed like that paint held up better than on new cars. Today I did my 350z, which gets a lot of little chips/scratches on it, despite having many coats of paste wax on it since I bought it new in 2007. It`s solar orange. Maybe the paint on Japanese cars was just better in the 90`s?

Post Thanks / Like
    I did an experiment today. I took and clay-bared the entire Corvette. A regular thing for me to do about every 2-3 months. Then on the hood, I did the polish #3 from Griots to get rid of some water spots that have been on there from the Previous Owner. THen applied the Griots Best of SHow Carnuba treatment. Not happy at all. Hard to remove, and the shine was not that great. I know that the owlish took off my Astroshield. I then took and put on 2 coats of Astro ... wow. It popped! All products were applied using a machine Orbital. Can`t help but say that I am an AstroShield devotee! I have 10 cans left from a 20 can purchase 5 years ago. If I can find more, I would buy it in an instant. I REALLY wanted to like the Griots stuff. I think that the polish is good. But the wax is just so-so. Maybe I will look for a pure Carnuba to try again on a small section. But the rest of the car just keeps getting better and better with the AShield.

Rick

74 Lotus Europa

80 Triumph Spitfire

82 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems that Astroshield works really well with older single-stage paints. I wonder how this compares to Wizards.

Yes, I used Liquid Glass on my long-gone and much-missed 1985 Toyota MR2 with good results. I was just finding out about Meguiars "Mirror Brite" line of professional products, then as well. This was when Megs was made in Nashville, TN. (Yes, I`ve been detailing for fun for a "few" years)
    GB detailer

Thread Information