Post Thanks / Like
    Well I took the bait for some GTechniq-C4-Permanent-Trim-Restorer. I hope it is like some of the reviews I have seen. I have used C1 and it is a fine product.

Anyone with some better ideas for exterior trim???
    MDRX8

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been using C4 on our DD (my wife’s 2008 Forester) and my weekend car (2010 Challenger) since April (both cars are garaged but the DD sits in an outdoor parking lot during the day much of the week):

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...echniq-c4.html

I have more recent photos I need to add to the above thread as well as some comments.

I have to say, my feelings about the product are a bit mixed at this point. The first thing I noticed is that while C4 tends to “darken” faded plastics, if the finish is uneven it may likely show through. For best results (IMO/IME) the finish should be in the best condition possible prior to applying the product (either new or restored as best as possible).

The trim on my Challenger still looks quite good since C4 was applied. On the other hand, I started noticing some fading on the rear bumper cover of the Forester (surrounding the “Forester” name on the plastic guard) and on the hood cowling. Admittedly, I didn’t spend a lot of time restoring the cowling which did have some patchiness to it. As for the rear bumper cover, it’s possible I didn’t prep the area around the raised letters as well as I thought I did. Overall though, the trim still looks “ok” for having nothing else applied to it over the last 4 months.

Beading is still quite evident but has changed on the surface. It is no longer as “tight” and round as shows in the above link but water does still bead (and flows off quite easily with a steady stream). I will try to update the above thread sometime this week.

On another note, I finally got around to applying my syringe of Opti-Coat on something. I tried it on one of the roof rails of the Forester two weekends ago and plan on finishing the other in the next few days. It’s a constant battle for me with oxidation on these pieces. I’m also thinking of using it on the b-pillar trim which is a similar finish.

Another trim product I have recently been thinking of trying is Valugard ETR. This sounds like (for me) it may be a good solution for trim bits that I simply can’t restore well enough to apply something like C4 or OC to. ….or perhaps don’t want to spend hours trying to. A perfect candidate is my Dad’s Avalanche which I plan to try it on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kean
    I have been using C4 on our DD (my wife’s 2008 Forester) and my weekend car (2010 Challenger) since April (both cars are garaged but the DD sits in an outdoor parking lot during the day much of the week):

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...echniq-c4.html

I have more recent photos I need to add to the above thread as well as some comments.

I have to say, my feelings about the product are a bit mixed at this point. The first thing I noticed is that while C4 tends to “darken” faded plastics, if the finish is uneven it may likely show through. For best results (IMO/IME) the finish should be in the best condition possible prior to applying the product (either new or restored as best as possible).

The trim on my Challenger still looks quite good since C4 was applied. On the other hand, I started noticing some fading on the rear bumper cover of the Forester (surrounding the “Forester” name on the plastic guard) and on the hood cowling. Admittedly, I didn’t spend a lot of time restoring the cowling which did have some patchiness to it. As for the rear bumper cover, it’s possible I didn’t prep the area around the raised letters as well as I thought I did. Overall though, the trim still looks “ok” for having nothing else applied to it over the last 4 months.

Beading is still quite evident but has changed on the surface. It is no longer as “tight” and round as shows in the above link but water does still bead (and flows off quite easily with a steady stream). I will try to update the above thread sometime this week.

On another note, I finally got around to applying my syringe of Opti-Coat on something. I tried it on one of the roof rails of the Forester two weekends ago and plan on finishing the other in the next few days. It’s a constant battle for me with oxidation on these pieces. I’m also thinking of using it on the b-pillar trim which is a similar finish.

Another trim product I have recently been thinking of trying is Valugard ETR. This sounds like (for me) it may be a good solution for trim bits that I simply can’t restore well enough to apply something like C4 or OC to. ….or perhaps don’t want to spend hours trying to. A perfect candidate is my Dad’s Avalanche which I plan to try it on.

Use a waterspot remover for paint (Mark V, MX7) to prep bad plastic before using C4. Have it on my wiper cowl for 8 months and car is parked outside 24/7 and the wiper cowl holds water. Still looks like the day I put it on. Did a 50/50 with Ultima Tire and Trim Guard and that was gone in 7 months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Legacy99
    Use a waterspot remover for paint (Mark V, MX7) to prep bad plastic before using C4. Have it on my wiper cowl for 8 months and car is parked outside 24/7 and the wiper cowl holds water. Still looks like the day I put it on. Did a 50/50 with Ultima Tire and Trim Guard and that was gone in 7 months.

Can I use a IPA wipedown ?????
    MDRX8

Post Thanks / Like
    ....I still have some CG WSR sitting in my cabinets. My initial goal was to simply apply the product as directed. Since the longevity seems to be there, I may try spending more time prepping the cowling and then re-apply the C4. ....unless I decide to give the ETR a go on this piece as a test.Btw, how well does C4 layer in your experience for spot touch ups, etc.? ....or does it at all?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MDRX8
    If the surface is in otherwise good condition, an IPA wipedown per their direction should be fine. You just need to make sure all other product is removed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kean, the UV-Gard in the ETR kit may be applied to non-damaged grey or black trim, once cleaned and it will last as long as the testing by the car companies have shown.

I usually recommend applying two coats when using it on the grey trim.

The bottles are 8 oz., so one gets a good value since it takes less than a 1/8th of an ounce to do most cowls, etc.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    Where can you purchase Valugard ETR ??? Looks like it`s only available to dealers.
    MDRX8

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope, just call the toll free and you can order what you want.

The company`s main business are the vehicle manufacturers and dealers, but sell to everyone, since other than in the Cincinnati area they do not have retailers.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MDRX8
    If the plastic is in good condition and not oxidized then IPA should be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kean
    ....I still have some CG WSR sitting in my cabinets. My initial goal was to simply apply the product as directed. Since the longevity seems to be there, I may try spending more time prepping the cowling and then re-apply the C4. ....unless I decide to give the ETR a go on this piece as a test.Btw, how well does C4 layer in your experience for spot touch ups, etc.? ....or does it at all?
    Dunno, haven`t needed to layer C4. I do have one spot that I missed and will try to do a touch up and see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham
    Kean, the UV-Gard in the ETR kit may be applied to non-damaged grey or black trim, once cleaned and it will last as long as the testing by the car companies have shown.

I usually recommend applying two coats when using it on the grey trim.

The bottles are 8 oz., so one gets a good value since it takes less than a 1/8th of an ounce to do most cowls, etc.

Grumpy
    Thanks. I was wondering about that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dunno, haven`t needed to layer C4. I do have one spot that I missed and will try to do a touch up and see what happens.
    Thanks. Looks like I`ll just need to do a `lil experimenting of my own as well.

Thread Information