Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve tried using FK425 for over a year now, I just don`t get it. Everyone raves about how fantastic of a QD it is. I just don`t see it.

--Slickness - Yeah, its slick, but Optimum is slicker

--Cleaning Ability - I feel its mid pack, if I need a better cleaner, ONR is it

--Looks - This is what I like least about it. The look is lifeless, reminds me of KSG. It shines, and thats it. I`ve used it on lighter colors, darker colors, metallics, etc.

What am I am missing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yakky I like it. One of my top 3 QD`s. What do you like???

Quote Originally Posted by yakky
    I`ve tried using FK425 for over a year now, I just don`t get it. Everyone raves about how fantastic of a QD it is. I just don`t see it.

--Looks - This is what I like least about it. The look is lifeless, reminds me of KSG. It shines, and thats it. I`ve used it on lighter colors, darker colors, metallics, etc.

What am I am missing?
    MDRX8

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it much better than Optimum. To me 425 is much slicker and doesn`t streak as much.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    +1.

FK425 is wunder-produkt !

Post Thanks / Like
    As with some shampoo comparisons (Optimum, interestingly enough, vs. Griot`s comes to mind), enough reliable people have differing experiences that I simply see it as another YMMV thing.

So hey, Yakky, not like we all have to love the same stuff! Just look at me regarding ONR

I like FK425 because it`s at least as slick as anything I`ve ever used and it`s utterly Accumulator-proof. I`ve heard some rare reports of Optimums QD streaking, and I`ve experienced that with other QDs where it`s considered very rare. So I`m not gonna risk it just to see if something new is better than something I`m completely satisfied with.

No, it does`nt always play nice with certain LSPs; it`s messed up 476S *on severely compromised paint*. So in that sense it was *not* Accumulator-proof. Don`t think anybody else has experienced that, and the vehicle in question really is in "needs repainted yesterday" condition.

Yeah, the look is bright/shallow/sealanty, but I only use it on vehicles where that`s not a concern (still love Griot`s SpeedShine on waxes).

No, I don`t get the anti-static qualities that others rave about. Eh, I don`t care, sure no worse than any other QDs I use.

No, I don`t get great cleaning, but if I want that (which I rarely do), I`ll use FK146 or ONR.

Eh, it`s a slick, Accumulator-proof, sealant-friendly QD that I can get cheaply enough in gallons. And I like how it smells. Good enough for me, even if that does sorta sound like faint praise.

I oughta try the 3D/HD QD, what with my gift certificate, maybe I`ll like that. I read somewhere that it can do a tiny bit of filling, something FK425 sure doesn`t do (FK146 seems to do a tiny bit of it), though I think I also read that FK425 has been reformulated to hide a little bit....can anybody confirm any of this "filling" info?

Post Thanks / Like

What am I am missing?

You should try Ultima Waterless Wash as a QD. Clean and QD all in one.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t get the love for Collinite 845, look is too bright for me and durability isn`t any better than #16. But I think that is the same with all products, in that whatever their traits are, some people will like them more than others.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, thanks for answering. So really, it sounds like the big standout benefit of 425 is NOT streaking. It does feel slick to me, but it feels like a dry teflon like slick, similar to a Z2/Z5. The main reason I use a QD is to amp up the looks after a wash. I rarely have any steaking issues. I`m a sucker for OID`s drippy wet looks. I`ve also started using Griots Speed Shine, and love the mile deep carnauba shine. I did half the vette with 425 and half with GSS. One side looks flat and dead, the other looks like its covered in water. I need to try OID vs GSS.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m with you Yakky, didn`t think it was all that either.
    All I have in this world is my word, and my balls and I don`t break `em for no one, you understand?"

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not used it much but I did not see any special anti-static properties. I find its biggest attribute is ease of removal. I did not see anything super special about slickness/gloss compared to many detailers.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

What am I am missing?

A friend of mine has been raving about how great this product is too and gave me a small bottle to sample. Honestly, I don`t see what all the hype is for this stuff either. It seems like he gave me a watered down version instead which I know he didn`t seeing that be poured it right out of the gallon. I can`t say it worked bad, but I have other products that leaves just as slick feel behind and don`t streak either when using it as an after washing QD. Z-6/Z-8/OID/AM Body Shine/3D WW/BeadX/Meg`s QD mostly. Yes, many QD`s can cause problems with some LSPs(sometimes), but I feel it`s a crap shoot. But, if you like it, then keep using it.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Got to agree with Accumulator on this one. Use to use Z6 until everyone started raving about FK425. Long story short it blew Z6 out of the water on price and slickness.Z6 comparatively felt like a waterered down version of FK 425.From my experience FK 425, being polymer based, does fine on polymer type LSPs. Tried it on Collinite 845 got streaking.Used the last of my Pinnacle Crystal Mist,carnauba based, NO streaking.Now use Griots Speed Shine on carnauba or oily based LSPs and FK 425 on polymer or sealant based LSPs. :thumb:

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not a big fan of FK425 either. I like the Werkstatt AG. Quickshine from ClearKote is better in my book.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John Styrnol
    .. Quickshine from ClearKote is better in my book.

That`s interesting! I tried the Quickshine after all the recommendations here and that`s one of the products that *I* don`t get :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    I don`t get the love for Collinite 845, look is too bright for me and durability isn`t any better than #16. But I think that is the same with all products, in that whatever their traits are, some people will like them more than others.

Yeah, all you can do is report how something works for *you* and what *you* think of it. Never know what somebody else will thing or experience with the exact same stuff.

It`s funny about 845...on some vehicles (or at least some parts of some vehicles) it barely lasts until the next wash for me, but on other vehicles it`ll go all season! I have 845 on the `93 Audi and #16 on my wife`s A8, and I kinda get a kick out of comparing them, especially since I *want* to prefer the #16 (well, except for the trim issue).

And much as I hate that "too bright" look on certain vehicles, guess what gets all the compliments?!? Yep, the 845 on that trashed `93`s dark blue paint :nixweiss The Service Manager at Stoddard actually called me up to ask what wax was on it because everybody was so impressed by it.... sheesh, go figure.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information