Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TedFred
    Not as good as the stock pads for sure... For my wifes daily driving more than adequate. I brake late and drive agressivly so they are maginal for me, but still acceptable..

At the risk of sounding like a [jerk], and with your best interst at heart:

They`re only "more than adequate" or "marginal" until that one moment when an extra few feet make all the (life changing) difference in the world. I sure wouldn`t let dirty wheels override stopping distance.

OK OK, end of lecture Sorry, I`m touchy on this subject because "those few extra feet" have made all the difference on a few occasions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator,

Would you just recommend a given vehicle`s OEM pads then?
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    At the risk of sounding like a [jerk], and with your best interst at heart:

They`re only "more than adequate" or "marginal" until that one moment when an extra few feet make all the (life changing) difference in the world. I sure wouldn`t let dirty wheels override stopping distance.

OK OK, end of lecture Sorry, I`m touchy on this subject because "those few extra feet" have made all the difference on a few occasions.

I just have to put a little more pressure on the pedal to stop as fast. I tested the panic stop capability and it works well. I assure you that it will stop in half the distance of your Crown vic. The marginal aspect is that when I am driving in a spirited fashion the brakes are not as grabby as the stock brakes. I am sure that if I made repeated stops from 100mph the Akebonos would eventually show more fade, but I don`t do any track time with the car. If I was going to take it to the track I would switch to the stock pads.

PS. I have a lot of experience designing braking sytems for varios vehicles. Primarily rides at Disneyland and such. I have also designed brake systems for Hot Rods and worked on varios Indy (lites) cars and Nascar vehicles. I was also a crew member for the Budweiser Rocket Car. I have experience with stopping fast vehicles, as well as designing saftey systems. Don`t worry I wouldn`t make a change that would jeopadize that most important thing in my life , my wife. Thanks for your concern and no offense taken:tongue2:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D
    Accumulator,

Would you just recommend a given vehicle`s OEM pads then?

No, unfortunately it`s not as simple as that. E.g., the MPV`s stock pads were simply *AWFUL*; I set it up with some terribly messy Hawk brand ones and the improvement was just amazing, even the Mazda dealership tech was impressed. Based on that, I switched the Tahoe over to Hawk pads when I upgraded its brakes and while they sure make more dust than the GM ceramic ones did they also stop better.

On the Crown Vic (another upgraded brake system), I`m running whatever aftermarket pads Reinhart always uses (forget the brand ), but I`ll switch it to the ones VDI is testing if/when they get approved for retail distribution.

I am running stock pads on all the Audis though.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information