Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    so here is the deal....for cars like xterras, jeeps, etc with a lot of plastic black trim, I need a more durable product if one exists. Right now my process is the following:

wash, deep clean, hit with either 303 or megs hyper (temp looks).

is there something out there that will last a lot longer than 303 and add some color?????

Post Thanks / Like
    If the trim is in good shape give Opt-Seal a try. I just tried it this weekend on the black cladding of my truck and was quite surprised. I`ve been using 303 but I`m hoping this lasts considerably longer.

I liked the gloss and look of Opti-Seal so I applied it to everything but the tires and tonneau cover. Even for those that prefer a different LSP; I still would recommend this for door jams, rims, wiper blades and any other area that`s a pain to use a conventional wax\sealant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotaguy
    so here is the deal....for cars like xterras, jeeps, etc with a lot of plastic black trim, I need a more durable product if one exists. Right now my process is the following:

wash, deep clean, hit with either 303 or megs hyper (temp looks).

is there something out there that will last a lot longer than 303 and add some color?????

Hmmm...it`s that "add some color" bit that makes me think that you`re after something other than an LSP-based approach.

There was another thread discussing some stuff called "C4" but oninions seem to vary as to how long it lasts.

FWIW, when I have to use a dressing type approach, I use AutoGlym Bumper Care, but I dunno if it lasts long enough to be right for you :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    ....being a user of 303 on some exterior components, there are a few dressing/protectants I can certainly think of that last longer (definitely not one of 303`s strong points IMO/IME). Meguiars Ultimate Protectant is one of the better ones (again, IMO/IME) in that respect but I have found it to be a little difficult to apply to some textures or to work it in to corners/crevices. I think a lot has to do with my own application technique though since others don`t seem to have an issue. Black Wow is one I would say has "better than most" staying power and probably does a better job of "darkening" (even on neglected trim). It can get a little messy though if you get it on surrounding painted surfaces, glass, etc. ....I prefer the LSP approach but will still use dressings/protectants on some bits if needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ultima Tire & Trim Guard is what you`re looking for. Yes its on the expensive side at first BUT it takes such little product that in the end its cheaper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubbin1
    Ultima Tire & Trim Guard is what you`re looking for. Yes its on the expensive side at first BUT it takes such little product that in the end its cheaper.

What I posted above (about how LSP-based approach might not be right) kinda applies to the Ultima too though, doesn`t it? I`ve only used Ultima on stuff that I`ve been able to get into decent condition :think:

I really like the stuff, but I don`t see it working on something that needs its appearance *improved*; I see Ultima as a great way to keep nice surfaces staying nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    What I posted above (about how LSP-based approach might not be right) kinda applies to the Ultima too though, doesn`t it? I`ve only used Ultima on stuff that I`ve been able to get into decent condition :think:

I really like the stuff, but I don`t see it working on something that needs its appearance *improved*; I see Ultima as a great way to keep nice surfaces staying nice.

Cee Dog has been doing some tests with it over on AG and it does an amazing job at improving the appearance on neglected plastic and trim. I too have had good luck with restoring severely neglected trim using Ultima.

Here is one of the pictures he has posted

PB trim restorer on left, Ultima Tire & Trim Guard on right

This is after 12 says with 2 rainy days. As you can see the Ultima did an excellent job at restoring the color. It does an even better job on black.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubbin1
    Been using UTTG as my go to trim protectant and very satisfied with the results. Recently tried GTechniq C4 and I must say I`m switching to C4. Have a full bottle of UTTG at half price if anyone is interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    NHave you tried collinite 845? I know it looks great on the plastic on a honda element.

Post Thanks / Like
    GTechniq C4, its expensive but lasts a long time, they claim up to two years.
    BespokeCarDetailing and AeroCleanse, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    I like Poorboy`s World Trim Restorer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Legacy99
    Been using UTTG as my go to trim protectant and very satisfied with the results. Recently tried GTechniq C4 and I must say I`m switching to C4. Have a full bottle of UTTG at half price if anyone is interested.

I am interested how much for the uttg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toymachine2009
    I am interested how much for the uttg

Check your message box.

Post Thanks / Like
    maybe i shouldnt have added the add color. i want something that lasts!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotaguy
    maybe i shouldnt have added the add color. i want something that lasts!!!!

Well, if the "richer looking" bit of it *does* matter, then it matters (and if it doesn`t...). I wouldn`t want something nice and satiny-looking, nice and long-lasting too, on top of some gray, yucky trim that needs a different approach.

Maybe I`m just all worked up about the topic since I`m dealing with these new beaters of mine that`re a LOOOONG way from the condition I`m used to dealing with! If the trim is in good condition that Ultima stuff lasts an incredibly long time, even with winter/etc. use.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information