Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`m getting back in the loop regarding LSPs and these two are new to me. I`ve seen them mentioned recently. They seem to be directly competing products in terms of claims of product durability.

Check out the product descriptions:

Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax, high melt polymer car wax, Finish care auto wax

and

Collinite Super DoubleCoat Auto Wax #476

I`d be looking for something great for my wheels, and maybe to help me survive the high summer heat months. Do you prefer one over the other and why?
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill, I`ve got both and use both. I have a preference towards the 1000p product. I think it has the edge in terms of durability, certainly in terms of gloss, assuming that`s what you`re after.

If you search, there`s loads of recent discussion on the 1000p product. It`s a winner!

BTW, great to see you back
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve got 476 but haven`t tried 1000P yet. I do like the warm, wet glow of 476 and the beading is outstanding. Not sure it is truly non-cleaning and layerable like they say on Autogeek though. It will remove tar splatters pretty easily. Maybe it cures hard enough that a second layer doesn`t remove the first layer completely. :nixweiss

However, one application should give you pretty good protection.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Tom! Great to see you too! Thanks for the word on the 1000P. I`d definitely like high gloss and I`ll do more research into it

Thank you too, Scott. The 476`s added benefit of tar removal sounds like a plus for sure!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to see old members back again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bence
    Good to see old members back again!

It sure is! They`re coming out of the wood work everywhere. It`s totally transforming the forum.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    1000P or 845. I can`t say I have much love for 476.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have and use both. I think its a toss up. For non-detailing people, I always recommend 845 or 476s and don`t mention FK1000P because of the trim-safeness and tight beading. Here`s how I`d break it down:

476s:

- tighter, better beading

- single coat gives some of the best protection out there, better than a single coat of FK1000P by multiple weeks (for me)

- trim safe. Intentionally apply it to your trim and sleep easy.

FK1000P:

- huge jar of it for about the same price as 476s

- high temp property is a plus for my black car in the sun

- doesn`t leave as much miscellaneous dirt on the surface after rain; seems to rinse cleaner naturally

I use FK1000p on my black car that sits outside in the south. However, I don`t like having to be careful when applying it for trim. And it actually seems to dust a little bit, builds up in the crevices, etc. Leaves a very nice glossly look to the paint - hard to describe but others have done it already. A freshly waxed FK1000P car looks great.

476s - well you get a lot less than FK1000P, but let`s be honest, a jar of it will last you many years doing your regular cars. I like that I can apply it to trim without worry. And I love the beading - it`s like the water is afraid of the paint. 476s goes on my wife`s daily driver, which is garage-kept. It lasts a loooong time - I have some on right now that I applied 11 weeks ago and it might as well have been 11 hours ago. As a plus, it seems to have some minor filling ability.

Overall I think I`d choose 476s between the two. But for $30, you could have both and probably 10+ years of wax supply for a couple of cars.

Unfortunately I didn`t throw FK1000P into my current 8-way wax test. However, I`m going to split a car in half this summer and do a FK1000P v. 476s challenge whenever my current coat of 845 + FK1000P wears off.

Post Thanks / Like
    IME, the beading of FK1000 (and the durability) go from "eh" to "whoa" after a second coat. One coat I would probably prefer 476s, but with two coats FK1000 wins, imo.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    I prefere 1000P - it´s look better and is easier to use as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the feedback, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by extrabolts
    However, I`m going to split a car in half this summer and do a FK1000P v. 476s challenge whenever my current coat of 845 + FK1000P wears off.

It`ll be really interesting to see the results!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Picus
    IME, the beading of FK1000 (and the durability) go from "eh" to "whoa" after a second coat.

Dead-on :xyxthumbs Highly accurate description! That 2nd coad is essential to get the full effect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, what Picus said :xyxthumbs

Bill D- Everthing got covered pretty well while I was offline with a power outage.

Other than the issue of looks, use on extremely compromised paint, and situations where I can only apply one coat, FK1000P has completely replaced 476S for me, and you know what a fan of 476S I used to be.

Gotta be a little careful about layering FK1000P though, lest you get pseudo holograms from a solvent effect. Not as big an issue as with 476S though, not by a long shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator- glad you`re back online. Yeah, I knew what a big 476 guy you were so hearing you switch to FK is noteworthy.

Maybe I can avoid any hologramming by waiting 24 hours + between the first and second layer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D
    Maybe I can avoid any hologramming by waiting 24 hours + between the first and second layer?

I`d read that FK recommended just a few hours and that others found that sufficient. So I waited 24 to be on the safe side. Did numerous coats on the Yukon XLD with a 24 to 48 hr intervals. Thought all was well. Let time pass....with the vehicle mothballed in the shop. Then one day I pulled it out to move things around and in *just* the right (sun)light I saw pseudo holograms. Yikes! Pulled it into the shop, washed it, and inspected with the SunGun, and, well...spent a long, long time buffing them away with lots of FK425 and my softest MFs.

Now I wait until at least the next regularly scheduled wash, which for me and be a while. I waited a month or so with the beater-Tahoe and it was perfectly OK in the meantime. While the second coat *is* amost mandatory for stellar results, it`s not like there`s some huge issue with only having one on there for a while.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information