Post Thanks / Like
    Home renovations, marriage, life etc. has left me little time to polish.

I am looking to replenish my stock. I plan on wetsanding 10 year old neglected single stage paint on my old VW, it has some bad etching and was poorly wet sanded after it was painted 8 years ago. I have a bunch of Meguires papers but I can`t figure out what I want to buy to compound and polish.

I will also be wetsanding my 01 e46 Bmw after I get some paint work done in the next few weeks so keep that in mind.

HD Uno seems pretty awesome and I think I am going to go with that but I am confused as to which pads to get.

I have M105, no 205 but I was thinking of scooping up some 205 and maybe m95, also help me on the pads for this combo. I also need some backing plates too.

Thanks for the help, can`t wait to post the results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump for the morning crew, looking to spend some cash before my the weekend

Post Thanks / Like
    eurotrs- If you already have the M105 I dunno if you`d really need the M95 too. If you want overlap like that I`d go with the Optimum Hyper Compound instead and try to do the lion`s share of the correction with the M105.

As to what to use for a final polish, try to find the recent thread about alternatives to M205, we seem to have mentioned nearly every conceivable option there.

Oh, and I encourage you to do your final sanding with 3K so the marks are easy to get out. But then I`d also encourage you to think twice about the whole project unless you know you have an extra mil or so of clear to play with

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    eurotrs- If you already have the M105 I dunno if you`d really need the M95 too. If you want overlap like that I`d go with the Optimum Hyper Compound instead and try to do the lion`s share of the correction with the M105.

As to what to use for a final polish, try to find the recent thread about alternatives to M205, we seem to have mentioned nearly every conceivable option there.

Oh, and I encourage you to do your final sanding with 3K so the marks are easy to get out. But then I`d also encourage you to think twice about the whole project unless you know you have an extra mil or so of clear to play with

Thanks for the reply. I know I have plenty of paint to work with so I`m not too worried, hopefully I won`t have to repaint any panels LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eurotrs
    Thanks for the reply. I know I have plenty of paint to work with so I`m not too worried, hopefully I won`t have to repaint any panels LOL

Glad to hear you have plenty of paint on there :xyxthumbs Hope it all goes well. Just be sure to get *ALL* the sanding marks out before you switch to a milder pad/product combo. Don`t think "that little bit that`s left will come out with the final polish"...it just never works that way IME.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Glad to hear you have plenty of paint on there :xyxthumbs Hope it all goes well. Just be sure to get *ALL* the sanding marks out before you switch to a milder pad/product combo. Don`t think "that little bit that`s left will come out with the final polish"...it just never works that way IME.

I`ve done that before, learned my lesson that hard way, it is great advice for anyone that is wetsanding.

Post Thanks / Like
    eurotrs- It`s reassuring that whenever I mention a concern you have a "been there, learned that" response :xyxthumbs Just don`t go nuts and thin it so much that a few years in the sun causes issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    After sanding(3000); go with M105/Optimum Spray Compound, then maybe HD UNO for final polishing?
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    After sanding(3000); go with M105/Optimum Spray Compound, then maybe HD UNO for final polishing?

Just checked out optimum spray compound looks interesting, def adding it to the cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eurotrs
    Just checked out optimum spray compound looks interesting, def adding it to the cart

I`ll be interested to hear what you think of the OHC. I find it *incredibly* user-friendly, and I seldom get impressed about that one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani

Think you need a rotary for OHC to fix 3K scratches?

I *REALLY* like the OHC (so glad you encouraged me to try it!) but it seems quite mild via non-rotaries. More like a "super swirl remover" than a "compound" IMO.

Thread Information