Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone tried this? How does it compare to 105 or 205? I`m new to this and I`m trying to gauge where it sits compared to other products.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven`t tried Ultimate Polish, but I do use Ultimate Compound. In addition to good polishing power, UC also breaks down very well and leaves an LSP ready finish. UP is probably good for general pre-LSP paint cleaning, adding that last little bit of gloss to an already good finish, light spiderweb removal or for clearing-out soft finishes after polishing. I`m also impressed by UQW, it`s a fantastic spray sealant/booster.

Post Thanks / Like
    ....UC is from the same SMAT ("non-diminishing" abrasive) family as M105/M205. You`ll need to gauge for yourself whether you feel UC leaves a finish worthy of being "LSP ready". IMO/IME, while I find it (UC) finishes well for a "compound" via DA, it`s not what I would use as a finishing polish. ....by hand, it will leave micro-marring that will require follow up with a lighter polish (again, IME).

While I have no experience with UP, it is my understanding that it is supposed to be similar to Swirl-X. However, while it also contains SMAT abrasives, it also (supposedly) contains even more oils which could have a greater "filling" effect. I even recall Michael Stoops (from Meguiars) mentioning it had more (a lot more) than M205.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kean
    ....UC is from the same SMAT ("non-diminishing" abrasive) family as M105/M205. You`ll need to gauge for yourself whether you feel UC leaves a finish worthy of being "LSP ready". IMO/IME, while I find it (UC) finishes well for a "compound" via DA, it`s not what I would use as a finishing polish. ....by hand, it will leave micro-marring that will require follow up with a lighter polish (again, IME).

I wouldn`t call UC a finishing polish either, but it can produce a very good, LSP ready finish. That said, certain soft/dark finishes may require a finishing polish. Maybe "breaks down" wasn`t the proper terminology, but UC`s small abrasive particles spread out so finely in use that it does not produce the marring that other compounds can leave behind. I recently polished my dd with my PC, a green German polishing pad and UC. The result required no additional finishing. The finish - after checks with a water/OH wipe-down - looked clear, deep and reflective. I`m sure a finishing polish would`ve added a bit extra, but it was not necessary. Of course, pad type also affects the finish. Though infrequently, I have used UC by hand and did not see noticeable marring.

Anyway, the OP inquired about UP. Unfortunately, I couldn`t offer any experiences with that product. However, judging by Meguiar`s other fine "Ultimate" products, I`m guessing that it`s a good polish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobD
    I wouldn`t call UC a finishing polish either, but it can produce a very good, LSP ready finish. That said, certain soft/dark finishes may require a finishing polish. Maybe "breaks down" wasn`t the proper terminology, but UC`s small abrasive particles spread out so finely in use that it does not produce the marring that other compounds can leave behind. I recently polished my dd with my PC, a green German polishing pad and UC. The result required no additional finishing. The finish - after checks with a water/OH wipe-down - looked clear, deep and reflective. I`m sure a finishing polish would`ve added a bit extra, but it was not necessary. Of course, pad type also affects the finish. Though infrequently, I have used UC by hand and did not see noticeable marring.
    ....obviously, this is a “YMMV” sort of thing that each user needs to sort out themselves. Just offering my own personal experiences with it. While I agree that it doesn’t leave the same marring that one might expect from other compounds (again, via DA (IME)), I still felt the finish was lacking some clarity and could do with a few passes of a finer, finishing polish (not talking about “jeweling”, just some improvement). Honestly, when I first tried UC I didn’t spend time using a finishing pad to see if it I could refine the result. ….instead opting to grab my M205 at the time. Regardless, I like the product and find it fits well in my arsenal. I have a feeling I will grabbing for it more often than my M105 when I need something with more cut than M205.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used UP once so far. It`s on par with M205 in cut and finish. I used UP to eliminated some water spots and light swirls (with Flex and Cobra white polishing pad). A few weeks ago, I used the same method with M205 to do the same thing. The end results were about the same. Working time was about the same also. Both stayed relatively wet during polishing (UP might have been a little wetter). Overall, I`ve been very impressed with UP. IMO, it`s definitely the best OTC polish out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am relativly inexperienced but did my truck with UC and UP and was very pleased.

Thread Information