Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello everyone, and thanks for all the info I have already gathered from the forum.

I live in WV and drive a 2010 CC Silverado LS, Black. Daily Driver, heated garage at night, parking garage during the day. Lots of salt. This is my first new/nice truck. everything else I have had have been beaters and I never really took care of them. I have developed a passion for keeping this truck shiny. I love clear deep reflections, But it is a truck and a daily driver.

At about 4 mo old, There is some marring from me getting the wash technique down. I have searched and read a lot. I have a heated garage to work in and working by hand right now but i see a PC in my future.

So here is my plan for the next decent 3 day weekend I have:

fri:

Wash: Meg`s tech 2 wash

Debadge including body moldings on the door.

Sat:

Clay: Need suggestions, maybe sonus green, or meg/mother`s kit

Auto Glym SRP

Sun: NXT

I know have to let things cure so I guess I would QD the next day.

Let me know what you think. I am very new at this and am open to any suggestions. Thanks Again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Plan sounds good if you have to do it by hand. I`d go with Claymagic blue for clay, but if not, the mothers kit is good and very well priced. I`m not fan of the idea of SRP+NXT. NXT has some cleaners that will remove what SRP left behind. Besides that, NXT makes black look like a mirror, and I`m really not a fan of that look at all. I like deep, wet, drippy black that makes it hard for your eyes to focus on. If you are shopping OTC, Megs #26 will look fantastic. One of the best Wax`s for black under $30.

If you don`t mind ordering stuff, Optimum`s Poliseal for your paint cleaning/polishing and then Optimum Car Wax to top. They look Amazing on black. If you want jaw dropping looks, and cost is no object, its hard to beat Pinnacle Souveran on black.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply. I like the mirror like reflections. Thats my goal and why I chose NXT initially. I did not relize it had cleaners. I read that it had fillers though. I don`t mind ordering stuff but i do care about cost and I already have he NXT. I don`t like the idea of removing what the SRP filled. Since i have it though i guess there is no harm in seeing if I like the results before I buy more stuff. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, you will be fine using both. If you really like the mirror look, check out Duragloss 111 or Zaino Z-2, those will make black so mirror like you might think its actually silver. NXT is decent stuff, it looks great (though I don`t like it on black) when you first apply it, but the reason I don`t use it more is as soon as water hits it (rain or wash), that initial look is gone. DG111/Z2 will keep the mirror look through half a dozen washes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yakky
    .. I`m not fan of the idea of SRP+NXT. NXT has some cleaners that will remove what SRP left behind...

Shouldn`t be a problem as long as the NXT isn`t applied in a really aggressive manner. I`ve used that combo (SRP + NXT) with good results, no removal of the SRP. I do like letting the SRP set up for a day or so, and that might`ve made all the difference; I can even *layer* that stuff, despite its abrasives and cleaners, if I wait a day and apply subsequent coats very gently.

If you`ve had differing experiences, school me so I can back off of my position on this a little, or at least add a "YMMV"-type disclaimer.

But yeah, I`m not a big fan of NXT either and I`d use something different.

Much as #26 *IS* one of the best OTC waxes for black, I`d want something a whole lot more durable on a big vehicle like that, and I think I`d want better dirt-shedding on a black daily driver too (ditto for Souveran, which I do love on my garage-queen). Guess *I* would lean towards either Collinite or (internet order only) FK1000P.

Anyhow.. we could debate LSPs until the cows come home, huh?!?

kdrchuck- Welcome to Autopia!

As I think you can see, there are lots of differing opinions and experiences, and it`s not really a right/wrong sort of thing. Since you have the NXT, sure, go ahead and use it, just try to apply it gently over the SRP. Not to :Argue with Kean but IMO the "cleaners" in NXT are vastly over-stated.

The thing to *really* concentrate on is figuring out a marring-free wash routine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great info again and thankyou. I will definitly give the SRP a day.

Is there a specific Collinite you are refferring to? I think i have read it is available at Harbor frieght?

I guess if the NXT doesn`t last or i am unhappy, I could always put the DG/Z2/Collinite on top of that later? Or would there be something wrong with that?

THanks, Great tips.

Oh yeah, Definitly still working on the wash method. I have started using a foam gun and i think i will be moving away from the MF mitt. Try Grout Sponges next because they are cheap and available. I am probably going to have to get some new better MF towels. I have blue sam`s club towels. They are CD safe up to moderate pressure but idk about their trim. I was in Baby`s-R-Us (with my wife) today and looking for new cotton diapers for the truck and got to thinking about fleece. (I havn`t searched this yet) It is absolutly CD safe. It is not absorbant but might it be useful as Wash media or QD type jobs?

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d also recommend something like duragloss 501 or 111. I`m not a big fan of the nxt product. It always seemed to leave an oily residue on my paint. The longevity seemed ok, but like stated above it lost its looks. This was the old nxt, and not the newer 2.0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

If you`ve had differing experiences, school me so I can back off of my position on this a little, or at least add a "YMMV"-type disclaimer.

I haven`t had as much luck with swirl filling and SRP as you have. I`m just banking on the fact that NXT has some decent cleaners that I think few things short of paint can stand up to. But if you are gentle, I`m sure its fine. I`d just rather spend my time doing two other steps instead of those.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yakky
    Yeah, you will be fine using both. If you really like the mirror look, check out Duragloss 111 or Zaino Z-2, those will make black so mirror like you might think its actually silver. NXT is decent stuff, it looks great (though I don`t like it on black) when you first apply it, but the reason I don`t use it more is as soon as water hits it (rain or wash), that initial look is gone. DG111/Z2 will keep the mirror look through half a dozen washes.

Can you give me some more info on the DG or Z-2. Characteristics, where to find it, tips for application? I can`t seem to find a lot of info on them.

I am rethinking the wax for the truck but i have been using the NXT on my Jeep and i will continue. It looks good and is relativly marring free. The paint on the jeep is like armor plating compared to the silverado.

Last coat of NXT was in early November. I had just washed and dried. Took the pic before moving inside for wheels,tires and details.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrchuck
    Can you give me some more info on the DG or Z-2. Characteristics, where to find it, tips for application? I can`t seem to find a lot of info on them.

Duragloss Clear Coat Polish

Zaino Z-2 Pro Paint Polish

The duragloss stuff is available at Carquest if you special order it.

Post Thanks / Like
    If he`s using Autoglym SRP, woudn`t the Autoglym High Definition Wax be great on his black paint? Especially since it`s on closeout at Wally World.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you will be more than happy using the Autoglym SRP and EGP combo. Here is a quick write up I did on it a while back. Scroll down to the pics of my Acura. I was amazed at how the AG SRP/EGP enhanced the pearl affect and amplified the metallic in it.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...tra-gloss.html
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner
    Northeast Auto Reflections
    Detail Spa and Mobile Wash, LLC
    www.northeastautoreflections.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Yakky, The DG looks good of those.

Street: Good info. That would probably look great on the Jeep.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrchuck
    Thanks Yakky, The DG looks good of those.

Its great stuff, DG is very underrated and doesn`t get much play on this forum but its pretty popular on a few other boards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Since you have the NXT, sure, go ahead and use it, just try to apply it gently over the SRP.

I understand gently but do you have any suggestions for applicator and buffer, (other than "use as directed")?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information