Post Thanks / Like
    This is after dawn washing the car followed by a clay bar

car is a 2003 Z06 with light swirl marks from neglected washes. I just got the car couple weeks ago, and that`s a picture of a fresh wash followed by some generic wax I had laying around just to do it when I got the car. Now is the time to do a real wax job on her.

I got some swirl X that I was going to use, but apparently swirl X doesn`t work too well on corvettes since it`s a hard clear coat, so I figured I return that and get some autoglym SRP and let it do it`s cleaning/filling the best it can, and I`ll put a sealant (rejex) followed by that autoglym HD wax...

from my research, after I put the autoglym SRP I need to wait about 24 hours to put on the rejex, and then i will need to wait another day to put on the autoglym HD wax since the SRP and teh rejex both need about a day to fully cure/bond to the paint. I don`t have a garage however, so the car will be sitting outside while I do this. hopefully that`s not a problem.

Do I need to wash the car between the SRP to Rejex then Rejex to AGHD applications? I might have to drive the car around so... quick detail spray between applications maybe? I`ll wash it if I have to.

anyways, let me know of my game plan as far as the products go, the order and wait times. I`m going to try to get a professional detail job done in about a month or two when the tax return stuff comes in

here are few pics of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Z06!

My pro detailing shop also uses AG SRP sometimes for our English customers, and we have been hardcore users of REJEX since 2yrs ago on cars, superbikes and jetskis.

An area of concern with your process:

1. REJEX cannot bond properly if applied on top of the oily AG SRP.

2. AG HD Wax or anything else applied on top of REJEX...won`t last long.

This has been re-iterated by REJEX themselves.

Some info on both products:

AG SRP

Will help reduce the ultra-finest of all swirls, and covers up the remainder very well. It`s quite oily, and durability is not impressive.

Great on blacks and REDS.

Accumulator also loves this product!

REJEX.

Primarily a stain-resistant/repelling product.

For protection and ease of maintenance.

Application:

Meant to be applied to flawless, 100% oil free surfaces.

REJEX does not recommend topping it, cos most toppers can`t adhere well to REJEX. From my testing, I agree.

Topped with S100, the S100`s crazy beading was gone after 1 week!!

Aesthetics:

Minimal improvement to gloss. Definitely not an aesthetics product.

1 layer of Klasse AIO looks noticeably better!

Smoothness and Beading:

Extremely low-drag/low-resistance feel similar to Zaino Z2Pro. Super slick.

Un-impressive water beading.

Durability:

If 2 layers applied, up to 7mths in hot, humid, crappy weather. Tested.

This applies only IF applied on totally oil/polish-free surfaces.

It will not bond/cross link properly when applied on top of the oily AG SRP.

I`ve tested this combo 2yrs ago.

When AG SRP "dies", the REJEX goes along with it.

I always wash with DAWN, and then wipe with alcohol, before applying REJEX.

Protection: Over the 8mths period, the test car was seldom washed, and parked outside. It had NO watermarks!!! It also had no fine scratches. I believe REJEX helps protect from very fine scratches. Untested.

RECOMENDATION:

Skip the REJEX.

Apply AG SRP to minimise/camouflage any swirls and richen your already rich-looking red. Wait 24hrs. Top with AG HD wax. Immediately, use the "ICE WATER technique" to apply multiple layers of AG HD, and you`ll DROOL!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great response! thank you!

As you said, I`ll skip the rejex. I haven`t bought it yet, sothat`s good.

I guess that means I`ll also skip the swirl x.

now I`m curious about his ICE WATER technique? I`ll google it and see what I come up with for that one. in the meantime if someone can explain while I look, I appreciate it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06Seal
    Great response! thank you!

As you said, I`ll skip the rejex. I haven`t bought it yet, sothat`s good.

I guess that means I`ll also skip the swirl x.

now I`m curious about his ICE WATER technique? I`ll google it and see what I come up with for that one. in the meantime if someone can explain while I look, I appreciate it!

Yes, bro. Skip the REJEX. It has it`s uses...but for your red beauty, I`d want to maximise that red hot look! And REJEX, if stored for too long, can turn into useless clumps.

Yeah, skip the Swirl X too. Keep it simple.

ICE WATER technique.

After buffing off 1st layer of carnauba, spray freezing ice-cold water onto the panel. Spray lots of water. It`ll be messy. Panel shd feel very cold.

Wipe away water with clean MF. No need to be 100% dry.

Apply 2nd round of nuba immediately. Don`t buff off. Spray lots of ice water. It`ll look like crap! Water mixed with wax! LOL. Spray more ice water. Don`t wipe.

Apply 3rd round of nuba onto the "mess". Spray with ice water.

Let this mess sit for 5mins.

Wipe the horrible mess off with clean MF. Buff thoroughly with MF.

Spritz some ice water lightly and buff again with clean MF.

You`ll be impressed by what you see.

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW that sounds like ALOT OF WORK!

I might need bionic arms for that. that`s SRP (1 coat) followed by 3 more coats of wax!

plsu there is clay bar and washing the car!!!

jeez lol. I might do it. might want to wake up early though, sounds like it`ll take me good 5 hours or so

how long should I wait after I put the SRP on before I put all the 3 layers of AGHD wax?

Post Thanks / Like
    Z06Seal- Welcome to Autopia!

Heh heh, if you think Gigondaz`s Ice Water technique is labor-intensive, consider that it sounds a whole lot easier than "spit-shining", the other/conventional way to layer waxes

It`s always best to let SRP cure for a day or so, but yeah...that`s not always feasible. I`ve gone ahead and waxed over top of it right away and as best I could tell it worked out OK (e.g., the filling from the SRP wasn`t compromised) but YMMV and eh...it might not work out so well, so wait if you can. If you *can`t* wait, try to be very gentle about applying the wax; think of it as "applying the wax, very gently, on top of the SRP" as opposed to "massaging the wax into the pores of the paint".

The downside with waiting a day for the SRP to cure is that some potentially abrasive contamination (and hey, seems like *all* contamination is abrasive!) might get on the vehicle during that overnight curing period. Wash? QD? Wax right over/through it? Your call, but I`d be nervous about instilling some new marring.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I`ll just let the car sit and I`ll wash it again and then put on the AGHD. seems to be the best option. I`ll see how I feel. I do have things to do tomorrow... lol

Post Thanks / Like
    I normally Polycharge my AG SRP so that it cures instantly. Then I can top with other stuff.

Or...I`ll leave it for 12hours, and then start topping.

On a decent red finish such as your car, SRP + even 1 coat of HD wax =

Tip:

AG SRP, when applied with a rotary+the softest pad, will give you results impossible to attain by hand-application. On red...it`s very impressive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gigondaz
    Yes, bro. Skip the REJEX. It has it`s uses...but for your red beauty, I`d want to maximise that red hot look! And REJEX, if stored for too long, can turn into useless clumps.

Yeah, skip the Swirl X too. Keep it simple.

ICE WATER technique.

After buffing off 1st layer of carnauba, spray freezing ice-cold water onto the panel. Spray lots of water. It`ll be messy. Panel shd feel very cold.

Wipe away water with clean MF. No need to be 100% dry.

Apply 2nd round of nuba immediately. Don`t buff off. Spray lots of ice water. It`ll look like crap! Water mixed with wax! LOL. Spray more ice water. Don`t wipe.

Apply 3rd round of nuba onto the "mess". Spray with ice water.

Let this mess sit for 5mins.

Wipe the horrible mess off with clean MF. Buff thoroughly with MF.

Spritz some ice water lightly and buff again with clean MF.

You`ll be impressed by what you see.
    i`ve done this myself, it`s called spit shinning and it really does what gigondaz says. i have`nt tried it with aghd, i can`t imagine it looking any better because this wax is by far, to me, the most reflective, glossiest and wettest wax i`ve used so far and i have a lot of waxes., this stuff just blows me away.

Post Thanks / Like
    how do I polycharge my SRP?

That would be great, because then after I can just apply the AGHD right after and don`t have to let the car sit for 10 hours outside while it cured.

I might even do the ice water technique if I can polycharge it so I can apply it right away.

I would love to use a rotary or something to apply the SRP, but I don`t own a rotary.

I can pick up a random orbital at walmart for 20 bucks though. one those cheap turtle wax ones. would that be worth it to put the SRP with? That`s all abotu what I can afford now considering how much I spend this month on the car and other things. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d say your best option would be to avoid SRP and have it corrected by more mainstream methods. Your car`s paint is pretty hard and although SRP will make it look better, it isn`t going to last very long. It`s a great cleaner/filler product and works better on softer finishes like this Aston Martin DB-9:

Because you`re in S. Florida like me, if you`d like me to come by your place and do a sample with SRP just let me know. Nice Z btw...
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    David, I`ll give you a call tomorrow. I def want you to check out the car and let me know how we can make it look good. perhaps tomorrow you can stop by if you aren`t busy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06Seal
    David, I`ll give you a call tomorrow. I def want you to check out the car and let me know how we can make it look good. perhaps tomorrow you can stop by if you aren`t busy.
    you`re most certainly calling on one of the best if you want your car to look it`s best, check out some of his work, if you have;nt yet, in the pro`s before and after section. he`s right up there with bella machina in my book.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am grateful for this post.I wanted some pop on my wife`s 94 white Camry. I followed the instructions and bam, awesome results for white.AGHD has great water behavior and easy to work with.
    wax on,wipe off zen wax again
    no camera here,just my own experiences .observations and opinions.

"I never met a man who thought his thinking was faulty!" M. Montaigne

Thread Information