Thread: 3M Hand Glaze

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Just had a part on my car painted last week. The inside/underside of the doors. Strange, I know, but had to do it to fix a problem. Essentially the paint on this part was pretty much gone because this part of the door makes contact with the weather strip/door sill. Since paint needs time to cure I thought about using 3M Hand Glaze in an effort to combat the negative consequences of having this part of the door rubbing up against the door sill while driving. Using some ONR at QD strength on the rubber door sill frequently to keep things clean would help I think...

Good idea or flawed thinking?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinky
    .....Since paint needs time to cure I thought about using 3M Hand Glaze in an effort to combat the negative consequences of having this part of the door rubbing up against the door sill while driving.

Good idea or flawed thinking?

If your door is aligned and installed properly, only the door`s rubber seal will touch the other rubber seal on the door opening. There shd not be any metal-to-metal contact resulting paint being abraded off.

Re-sprayed areas are already dry after 24hrs and can be sanded and buffed. The clearcoat shd not "come off " at this stage.

However, if you hv metal-to-metal contact, even a fully cured paintwork will be gradually abraded off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blinky- If you believe (as I do) that fresh repaints need to outgas/cure for a few months before you can wax/seal them, then yeah, the 3M IHG is one of the products that you can use while you wait. Using the ONR (or some QD like M34) on the rubber is a good idea IMO, oughta provide a little bit of lubrication/protection from friction.

gigondaz- If Blinky`s vehicle is anything like my Crown Vic and GM SUVs, there`s no way to avoid some rubbing. I have *LOTS* of areas where the rubber seals come into direct contact with the painted metal rather than having a nice rubber-on-rubber contact. Not metal-on-metal, but rather metal-on-rubber. And with the [crappy] build-quality that ends up wearing the paint away. Even where it`s supposed to be rubber-on-rubber, sometimes the doors/etc. just won`t cooperate no matter how you try to adjust them. Yeah, it *is* disappointing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    .....Using the ONR (or some QD like M34) on the rubber is a good idea IMO, oughta provide a little bit of lubrication/protection from friction.....

Hmmm...a bit of Vaseline on the rubber would be great too, as a lubricant to reduce friction.

Oh yeah...I`m referring to rubber as in door rubber seals:grinno::grinno:

Post Thanks / Like
    gigondaz- Heh heh, just in case there was a serious recommendation mixed in with that humor, I find stuff like Vaseline way too messy for applications like this. I even prefer the Wurth "Gummi stick" over the popular 1Z one because the Wurth dries "cleaner". I like my seals to ber so clean/dry that somebody can brush clothing against `em without any issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    gigondaz- Heh heh, just in case there was a serious recommendation mixed in with that humor, I find stuff like Vaseline way too messy for applications like this. I even prefer the Wurth "Gummi stick" over the popular 1Z one because the Wurth dries "cleaner". I like my seals to ber so clean/dry that somebody can brush clothing against `em without any issues.

Good point, Acc:chuckle:

Thread Information