Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve done a search and there seems to be a misconception as to of what "1 step" really means. I`ve always thought that it was basically (from a detail package standpoint) Wash/Clay/use a Polish-Wax combo and then call it a day (along with some tire/wheel/trim detailing of course), but when reading about what people are calling 1-step paint details it seems it is considered a 1-step medium polish (ie: D300), then LSP on top of that.

In any case, so far the only 1-step polish/wax combo I have is just some OTC Meg`s Cleaner Wax stuff that came with a clay kit a while ago but am currently trying to explore other possibilities for a good polish/wax combo. So basically, what do you use for your customers that opt for the 1-step correction package? Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t really like doing jobs like that; even if I am going to use something like a light abrasive/chemical cleaner/sealant (essentially, an AIO) I like to top with something more durable. If I had to choose a product, though, it`d probably be something like Optimum Poli-Seal or Meguiars D301.

If you`re talking about actual correction it really depends on the paint.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, I don`t really believe in AiO products being able to do any respectable amount of correction, but it seems with the "economy" that cheaper alternatives for car detailing should be available as an option (as long as you consult with the customer about the amount of correction an AiO would provide compared to the amount of correction they would need to achieve show room results). Mostly I`m interested in having a quality AiO product available even though I have full intentions of upselling a full paint correction + LSP. My consumer base for the area I`m located in right now would be 28-35 year old moderate car enthusiasts, not quite the high priced exotic owners that would know the value of a quality detail.

Even though this would belong more in the detailing business forum, I figure of having multiple levels of detailing packages would provide the amount of flexibility that the nowadays more budget-minded consumer would appreciate:

Wash (including tire/trim dressing)

Wash/Clay/Wax

Wash/Clay/1-step AiO Cleaner Wax

Wash/Clay/Polish/Wax

Rates adjusted per vehicle size and add on a flat rate for interior cleaning/detailing to be added for any package (based on size as well, plus biohazard charges for some nasty jobs...).

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW isn`t D301 just Meg`s MF system wax? I wasn`t aware if it was considered a "cleaner wax". Poli-seal looks like exactly what I`m looking for, it`d be great if anybody had some 50/50 shots of some AiO products!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoolinNoMore
    BTW isn`t D301 just Meg`s MF system wax? I wasn`t aware if it was considered a "cleaner wax". Poli-seal looks like exactly what I`m looking for, it`d be great if anybody had some 50/50 shots of some AiO products!

Well the D301 is called "Finishing Wax" but it is (if I am not mistaken) intended to do some very light correction (to clean up D300 haze if any). It also does a nice job on water spots... I find it to be a lot like Poli-Seal (which is fantastic). I wouldn`t personally use EITHER to actually do any real correction, I mostly use them for occasions where I am washing/sealing and find a few waterspots on windows, very very very fine marring, etc... I am positive they can actually do some correction (for example if you took a really jammed up car and used one I am sure it`d clean it up a bit...) but I`ve never used them that way since if I am correcting I am doing more than one step.

It`s kind of a weird area. I know what you mean though; you don`t want to use a low abrasion finishing polish for light correction (think FPII/Opto Polish or even power finish), then have to follow up with a dedicated sealant... you want to one step it. I get that. If that was the criteria for me, wash, AIO, done, I`d go with Poli-seal personally. It`s a fantastic all around product. I`ve had no trouble following it with Opti-Seal too if you want a little more durability.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    Detailer`s Pride Poli-Coat Sealant is a pretty decent all in one assuming you don`t need any real correction. Optimum`s Poli-Seal has a bit more cut but won`t last quite as long as Poli-Coat.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s been years since I used it, but depending on the paint, I`ve even had good luck with Klasse AIO. I like PoliSeal or Prime Strong with a polishing pad (or even cutting, again depending on the paint) as a one-step. Considering how easy a spray wax like OCW goes on and off, it seems a shame not to use that for protection, even on a one step job.

Here`s a MS3 I did years back with Klasse and a polishing pad (via PC)

Post Thanks / Like
    I certainly wouldn`t pick just one product as my one step. I certainly wouldn`t use a spray wax and expect better durability than out of a good AIO.

Maximum Durability (and best look on non metallics): ZAIO

Maximum Correction: M66/D151

Best Looks on Metallics: FK215

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want a lot of correction try Meguiars D151. It is somewhere in between 105 and 205 in abrasiveness. I love the stuff for doing normal daily drivers.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would recommend either Meguiar`s D151 or Poorboy`s PwS - both have great flexibility/varying degrees of cut depending on pad.

I know you are trying to bring value to the customer but also trying to ensure a decent margin. Something else to consider: Use a dedicated polish for correction. Use OCW or AW to remove the spent polish (thus also applying an LSP at the same time). It is not exactly ideal (from an Autopian viewpoint) but it could be that "middle ground" that your customer`s may bite on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by animes2k
    It`s been years since I used it, but depending on the paint, I`ve even had good luck with Klasse AIO. I like PoliSeal or Prime Strong with a polishing pad (or even cutting, again depending on the paint) as a one-step. Considering how easy a spray wax like OCW goes on and off, it seems a shame not to use that for protection, even on a one step job.

Here`s a MS3 I did years back with Klasse and a polishing pad (via PC)

working on my Fiancee`s now and i`ll tell you, it`s been some VERY hard paint. I`m surprised by it actually

Post Thanks / Like
    for one step correction I would have to say Menzerna`s SIP... it`s just great stuff and gets a lot out while leaving a very nice shine. For an AIO I go with Klasse.

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally use d151 on almost all of my one step details. It is cheap, corrects decently, and leaves a nice smooth, protected finish. I have optimum, but it doesn`t have enough correction for ky personal tastes. It seems to be just a cleaner wax. They say it has abrasive, but they must be super fine. I get better results from d151.

Even on 2 step details, ill sometimes start with Menzerna SIP and then finish with d151.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is awesome guys, thanks! Exactly what I needed to hear...had Poli-Seal in my shopping cart but came back to double check this post and it seems D151 will do what I want. What do you use for a dispenser for it BTW? I can only find it in the gallon size (which is fine) but I don`t see myself putting this in a spray bottle...

*edit* nevermind, I found a little Meguiar`s squeeze bottle

Post Thanks / Like
    D151 is very thick. I use the autogeek squeeze bottles to dispense it. Just make sure whatever you use has a decently wide mouth so it is easy to fill from the gallon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information