Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, got a basic question I think. I just bought an Expedition, which has the black plastic side mirrors with the black plastic triangle trim piece that holds it onto the door. The plastic looks a little faded so I made sure to detail as usual. The next time it rained I end up with streaks running down the door, from the plastic detailer coming off.

I`ve tried GM Vehiclecare Trim Detailer, Armor All trim detailer, and even a few different brands of rubber & tire dressings that dry and don`t sling. Normally I always use the GM trim detailer, lasts a long time and looks great. However this is the first vehicle I`ve had a problem with it streaking and coming off, onto my paint. Looks horrible, it`s like none of the brands want to adhere to the plastic.

I tried scrubbing the plastic and washing with Westleys, and wiping clean with alcohol. It didn`t seem to help.

Any suggestions for a natural finish looking detail for hard black plastic, that dries and won`t streak?

Post Thanks / Like
    This can especially suck if your truck is a dark color. Florida sun sure can beat up black textured trim. I`d toothbrush scubb it with APC and avoid oil/solvent based dressings. Some might suggest a product called Black Wow, but I prefer using a water based dressing. When you do, apply it to a totally clean surface, allow it to wet/dry and do a good wipe down to remove any excess.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    gto78- I almost always use a LSP-based approach, usually the Klasse twins. Yeah, on exterior black plastic trim. The KAIO cleans off the oxidized material leaving things OK-looking, and the KSG does the protection. I spritz a little FK425 or somesuch QD on it after each wash but other than that it stays maintenance-free for a long time (how long depends on how many layers of KSG I use).

The [EDIT: ULTIMA, not Sonus as originally posted ] trim/rubber sealant seems to work well too, but I generally just use that on rubber (after cleaning with Griot`s Rubber Prep, a true miracle product).

No, the above approaches don`t give quite the same look as an ERV dressing, but they don`t run, or need redone regularly, either.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like Poorboy`s world`s trim detailer and MEguiar`s Ultimate Protectant. They hold up very well on my explorer plastic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

The Sonus trim/rubber sealant seems to work well too, but I generally just use that on rubber (after cleaning with Griot`s Rubber Prep, a true miracle product).

Accumulator, which Sonus product are you referring to?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yakky
    Accumulator, which Sonus product are you referring to?

Had to run out to the shop and see...wanted to get it right And sure enough...."oops!"

It`s not Sonus, it`s "Ultima Tire and Trim Guard Plus+"

Like the Griot`s stuff, it`s a pricey little bottle, but man-oh-man is it working well for the few things I use it on.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used Forever Black tire gel applied with a cheap yellow kitchen sponge .... its a water based dye and dries in a few minutes. Apply 3 coats then your good for 20+ washes and it doesn`t run. Make sure you mask off the painted area around where your working. Dries to a matte finish.
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like
    I didnt read throught all the post so I dont know if this was mentioned but when I had my non-claded Avalanche I tried many things on the top panels and storage areas and they all ran after a rain or wash. The only thing that I found to last a very long time was Carsystems Refinish Restorer, CARSYSTEM Refinish Restorer 1L. Its a little pricy but its for 1L and it will last at least a half of year and you want to make sure that you dont get any on the paint or glass. It kind of smelled and looked like a varnish when applied. Check out these post on the Avalanche forums for some before and after pics. Chevy Avalanche Fan Club Refinish Restorer Before/After pics

Post Thanks / Like
    Great advice everyone. I think after seeing the before/after pics I`m sold on the CARSYSTEM RR. Looks awesome, and last long time...perfect. I just hope that container it comes in doesn`t rust or get sealed shut, it`s a tin can. I also want to try a few of the water based systems, whatever has a semi gloss finish is good.

Thread Information