Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, you`re right about the algae, that happens with DI water, because the DI process removes the chlorine but not the microorganisms. The distilling should kill anything that`s going to grow, as long as you can keep new stuff from getting in there.

I don`t think there`s any free lunch if you want mineral-free water, RO might be the least maintenance-intensive, but it uses a lot of water, the distilling uses a lot of energy, and the DI is inconvenient, but really the only way to get large quantities of water in a short time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    Sorry, you`re right about the algae, that happens with DI water, because the DI process removes the chlorine but not the microorganisms. The distilling should kill anything that`s going to grow, as long as you can keep new stuff from getting in there.

I don`t think there`s any free lunch if you want mineral-free water, RO might be the least maintenance-intensive, but it uses a lot of water, the distilling uses a lot of energy, and the DI is inconvenient, but really the only way to get large quantities of water in a short time.

I think I may just buy the CR for now and look into the distiller a little more later down the road. Costco does have a pretty good price too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Large Garden Hose Filters for Higher Flow Rates – Pure Water Products, LLC

I have been using this for several months, and have been very happy with it. I only do one, or sometimes three cars at a time, and just recharge it in a brine bath between uses, and have never had spotting issues since using it. I have even washed a lighter colored car in direct mid-day sun without spotting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by harold97
    Large Garden Hose Filters for Higher Flow Rates – Pure Water Products, LLC

I have been using this for several months, and have been very happy with it. I only do one, or sometimes three cars at a time, and just recharge it in a brine bath between uses, and have never had spotting issues since using it. I have even washed a lighter colored car in direct mid-day sun without spotting.

This i`m pretty interested in. Currently I use ONR, but every week I go to the store and purchase about 6-7 gallons of distilled water for it. The difference is night and day compared to using tap water. I can just wipe it lightly and walk away the remaining water doesn`t leave any spots, except for glass of course. This has been the best option for me, but is only a short term solution because in the long run it`s pretty costly. $10 a week isn`t that cheap in the long run. Would one of these garden hose filters produce pretty much the same results for much cheaper over time? How many gallons can you get on one of these as well before replacing them?
    2003 BMW E46 M3 TiAg/ Cinnamon 6MT

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rx8 Fanatic
    Would one of these garden hose filters produce pretty much the same results for much cheaper over time? How many gallons can you get on one of these as well before replacing them?

I am assuming that it would be cheaper in the long run if you are paying $10 per week now. I have been using the same brine mix since I got my filter in late May, and have pretty much left my filter in there when I`m not using it. A 40lb bag of softener salt is really cheap at Home Depot, and I still have most of it left. I paid $120 for everything, and have used it more than twelve times already, so at that rate, you would have saved money.

I got the middle size...it is fatter than the standard one, but not long one that is at the bottom of the page. I run it off of a garden hose that is turned all the way on, and only have spotting issues on a black car when it is windy, and those are minor, superficial spots, that do not appear to be hard water related.

I don`t know how many gallons it produces, but I can wash three cars at a time and never see the performance fall off. It could probably do more, but at that point, I am out of cars and time! I sometimes will not recharge after washing one car, just because I`m in a hurry putting my stuff away, but I never wash more that two or three cars between charges, although it appears I could do more. I also use it for the entire process, not just the final rinse.

I have the hard water filter only, not the sediment filter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 01svtL
    Guys, can ONR only be found online?

Correct. If you go to Optimum`s website, they do have a distributor locater and you may find there is one close to you.

Distributers
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information