Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bence
    All covalent silane coatings work/are like that.

Optimum, Nanolex, Echelon, JGlaze, AQuartz, G`Zox, Matrix Micro, Nanopool, Sonax, Keepre Diamond, etc., etc., etc.

If they would prove risky for the refinish industry, the whole coating-approach would have gone to Dodoland, yet the technology is alive and kickin` and it`s way more than a decade old...

so which product is the best?

Also which Sonax product is the long-term one i couldnt find a sealant in their premium line of products?

thanks for pointing these out though its really irritating that Optimum treats us enthusiasts like we are fools even though i believe some here are more experienced than "professional detailers with a registered business" at least the rest of us have alternatives

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sockster

Also which Sonax product is the long-term one i couldnt find a sealant in their premium line of products?

thanks for pointing these out though its really irritating that Optimum treats us enthusiasts like we are fools even though i believe some here are more experienced than "professional detailers with a registered business" at least the rest of us have alternatives

Optimum isn`t treating people like fools. They are protecting themselves from liability should an untrained person apply the product and mess up. It`s a smart move on their part. If the product flashes too fast in hot humid weather then even application can be an issue.

Still, I`m skeptical that a product that can`t be removed with a prep product is "safe" in the hands of an average american bodyshop. Maybe Germany has higher trained body shops due to more prevalent products of that nature.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s a link for a polymer company that makes industrial polymers.

KiON Specialty Polymers: Polysilazane-based resins

If you read some of the product descriptions they are listed as lung irritants.

Post Thanks / Like
    Opti Coat just contains ammonia, that causes the strong odor and there are ammonia-based fruit coatings in existence.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sockster

Sockster, based on the everyday experiences where people apply waxes with a shovel and they wonder that the wax layer is hard to remove, well, I think Optimum`s move is a smart one.

But if you are proficient with a WOWA sealant, the application of a coating won`t be hard at all. Just a thin layer and follow the instructions of the manufacturer regarding the particular setting time of the coating.

Here`s the Sonax: SONAX ProfiLine NanoLackProtect :: Produktsuche - Autopflege, Lackpflege & Waschanlagenprodukte von SONAX - reinigen und polieren wie die Profis

It can be tricky to acquire it, because for example in Sweden you can`t buy it unless (you guessed it) you have a detailing business. Here in Hungary it can be bought in any shop which carries Sonax (except malls), and it is dirt cheap (around US$17-22; 50 ml aerosol).

They are packaging it along with a paint cleaner in their Premium line too. This set costs significantly more at around 100 bucks, but contains a training DVD as well. SONAX PremiumClass NanoLackVersiegelung :: Produktsuche - Autopflege, Lackpflege & Waschanlagenprodukte von SONAX - reinigen und polieren wie die Profis

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bence
    Opti Coat just contains ammonia, that causes the strong odor and there are ammonia-based fruit coatings in existence.

What`s the purpose of adding ammonia? I know ammonia is used to strip wax

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    I found some Sonax NS7 nano tech polymer at Ollies discount store for around $2. Their windshield washer concentrate is good stuff.

BTW, I`ve read a few posts on various automotive websites about bodyshops having issues painting over a few boutique and OTC waxes/sealants. I`m not sure what the root causes was/is but it is an issue that does occur and maybe it`s because a body shop isn`t using the right product to make sure the paint surface is clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    i had a client and one of his cars has some type of paint coating on it , was a 09 mercedes mini-van he got it with coating from dealer, not sure what type of product they use.

the coating start pealing by handle on rear pass door. Ugly! the car wasn`t prep right or by the handle wasn`t bond ,anyway an 2inx3in "coating" pealing spot was visible, is same as clear coat failure

i think was sell from dealer as paint sealant, but look like a second coat of clear. around the damage area u can pull it with your nail. if i get back there i should take a pic.

Post Thanks / Like
    There have been a lot of products out there that didn`t live up to their claims, this isn`t the case with the Optimum Opti Coat, this stuff is the real deal. I`ve applied this coating on at least 12 vehicles now and they are all holding up great with no issues. A few of the vehicles are still holding up well and I applied the coating on those back in October of 2009.
    Obsessive Detail

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some pictures I snapped earlier today, the coating was applied on this car back in October and is still beading like day 1.

Obsessive Detail

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Impressive, no doubt the product works. But for some reason DR G is concerned about some liability issue. What happens if the paint isn`t properly prepped-will the coating not adhere properly?

It`s one thing to use a coating on a car with clear coat failure to bump the resale value and it`s another to use a product on a new $100k supercar and for some reason have an issue a few years down the road. Theoretically, what happens if ANY product is applied to a limited production car and then a couple years down the road the only local approved dealership refuses to touch the car or warranty the paint because someone applied a permanent coating to the vehicle. Buyer beware.

I`ve seen people claim 9 or 10 months out of Zaino outside 24/7. There reaches a point where you have to ask how much durability does one need? After all, we`ve all seen the TV infomercials where the latest and greatest sealant was applied to a hood and then set on fire but really how many owners are gonna torch their cars

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody
    Impressive, no doubt the product works. But for some reason DR G is concerned about some liability issue. What happens if the paint isn`t properly prepped-will the coating not adhere properly?

It is possible that not prepping the paint properly will reduce the durability. In addition, if you don`t knock down any high spots before they dry, it will be visible and need to be polished off and reapplied.

Meguiars never offered #16 at the consumer level because it isn`t "bubba-proof" meaning that if it isn`t applied and removed properly, the car will look like crap with heavy splotches of wax that you pretty much need a belt sander to get off.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    It is possible that not prepping the paint properly will reduce the durability. In addition, if you don`t knock down any high spots before they dry, it will be visible and need to be polished off and reapplied.

Meguiars never offered #16 at the consumer level because it isn`t "bubba-proof" meaning that if it isn`t applied and removed properly, the car will look like crap with heavy splotches of wax that you pretty much need a belt sander to get off.

Please, #16 could be bought at any paint supply store by Average Joe without having to sign a waiver holding Megs blameless from liability. Same goes for #20 and #21. I`m not aware of any Megs product that you have to sign a waiver to get that releases them from liability.

Granted, I can think of a couple bulk products that one should have to sign a waiver to get but then again those manufacturers probably shouldn`t be selling products to consumers that can cause damage if used improperly

Post Thanks / Like
    Please, #16 could be bought at any paint supply store by Average Joe without having to sign a waiver holding Megs blameless from liability. Same goes for #20 and #21. I`m not aware of any Megs product that you have to sign a waiver to get that releases them from liability.

#16 wasn`t sold at places like Pep Boys and Autozone because the average Joe doesn`t read wax can directions. A can of #16 is $15, Opti-Coat is 6 times that. I can see how a growing company like Optimum can`t absorb potential costs associated with improper ise vs a large company like Meguiar can over a $15 can of wax.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like

It`s one thing to use a coating on a car with clear coat failure to bump the resale value and it`s another to use a product on a new $100k supercar and for some reason have an issue a few years down the road. Theoretically, what happens if ANY product is applied to a limited production car and then a couple years down the road the only local approved dealership refuses to touch the car or warranty the paint because someone applied a permanent coating to the vehicle. Buyer beware.

I`ve seen people claim 9 or 10 months out of Zaino outside 24/7. There reaches a point where you have to ask how much durability does one need? After all, we`ve all seen the TV infomercials where the latest and greatest sealant was applied to a hood and then set on fire but really how many owners are gonna torch their cars

The reason Dr. G is concerned about the liability with Opti Coat is because there is a slight learning curve to the process. He doesn`t want the average Joe that has no detailing experience to try and apply the product. If you apply it too thick you will be able to notice and difference and once it cures you are screwed, the only way to remove it would be to buff it off with a machine polisher and a compound. The paint does have to be properly prepped for the coating to get optimal performance.

You want to remove any scratches or swirls that are on the surface before the coating is applied, if not, you are just covering them up. Then after polishing it is recommended that you do an alchohol wipedown or use a wax remover to get the best possible surface to apply the coating, this way you will get the best bonding.

Some people don`t want to mess with applying a wax or sealant and want that extra durability, this is where Opti Coat comes in, this product isn`t for everyone, but for some people it is the perfect product that they have been looking for.
    Obsessive Detail

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread Information