Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsessive Detail
    I talked to David from Optimum today and he has decided that he only wants the coating sold to professional detailers with an actual business now. Also, the coating is only going to be available directly from Optimum and there will be strict guidelines on who can purchase the product. The main thing is the liability issues involved with the product since it is an actual coating and in the wrong hands things could get messy. When I had talked to David earlier this year he pretty much told me that as long as I thought the purchaser had knowledge of detailing and signed the waiver I could sell the product, now he he worried about the liability issues. I don`t blame him for this and I would probably do the same thing if I was in his shoes.

Ah well. (and some more chars)
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by seech
    SuperBee, thanks for the link.

It is quite an impressive product and I was totally amazed after seeing the results of David`s test.

I`m really anxious to see how yours turns out. Amazing job of turning that clear coat failure into what looks like a (better than) factory finish. Now if Opti-coat can keep it looking new...well, that would really be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by wascallyrabbit

Thanks!
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    If DR G is concerned about liability then there is some type of issue with the product as it currently exists. One potential issue in the hands of the average consumer is that it`s a single purchase product-that cannibalizes repeat sales of Poli Seal, Opti Seal and OCW. Another issue is the reputed smell of the product-if it reeks(as has been reported) then it probably isn`t in the best health interest of the general public-hence the warning label.

As for other manufacturers being up in arms about it I doubt it. If 3M/Megs thought there was big money to be made in a coating they`d have introduced one a long time ago. Most of the coatings that exist where developed for some specific type of application where the manufacturer was pretty sure they`d make a ROI.

There`s no need for a warranty of any type, that`s a marketing move plain and simple for a detailer to be able to convince someone that it`s worth the price of admission. The problem with warranties is that they are only as good as the paper they are written on. Dr G doesn`t plan on losing any money on the warranty-maybe that`s why they`ve been working on the warranty for a couple years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody
    If DR G is concerned about liability then there is some type of issue with the product as it currently exists. One potential issue in the hands of the average consumer is that it`s a single purchase product-that cannibalizes repeat sales of Poli Seal, Opti Seal and OCW. Another issue is the reputed smell of the product-if it reeks(as has been reported) then it probably isn`t in the best health interest of the general public-hence the warning label.

As for other manufacturers being up in arms about it I doubt it. If 3M/Megs thought there was big money to be made in a coating they`d have introduced one a long time ago. Most of the coatings that exist where developed for some specific type of application where the manufacturer was pretty sure they`d make a ROI.

There`s no need for a warranty of any type, that`s a marketing move plain and simple for a detailer to be able to convince someone that it`s worth the price of admission. The problem with warranties is that they are only as good as the paper they are written on. Dr G doesn`t plan on losing any money on the warranty-maybe that`s why they`ve been working on the warranty for a couple years.

Wow, that`s as much speculation as I`ve seen in a single post here!

Post Thanks / Like
    Any reason we come up with as to why Dr. G is doing what he is is pure supposition on our part. We don`t *know* what he`s doing, or why. To guess at what problems he`s encountering is not really fair to do. Let`s just see how this plays out.

Plus, I think that most of us will end up being able to get the product if we really want it anyway; we either *are* professional detailers (or are close enough to someone that is) to get it.

I think they should sell me a sample, just to see if a part time, ham fisted hack can apply it without causing global warming. If I succeed, then they can legally market it as "idiot proof application".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody

My comment was tongue-in-cheek.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin

Not really, I`ve seen the pictures of Opti Seal and the warning label. If the product has that type of warning label on it then it probably should have the same warning label on the box in order for UPS or USPS to ship it. UPS is finicky about what they consider "hazardous material". They even slap an additional "hazardous shipping charge" on nitrogen charged shocks. Granted, in most cases it`s just UPS`s way of hitting people up for an extra charge for a item that`s usually pretty harmless.

I know that if I purchased Opticoat I wouldn`t plan on topping it. That`s why you buy a product that claims that type of durability so you only do it once.

I think OptiCoat has a potential market but it`s probably a fairly narrow one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin

+1

(more characters)

Optimum Product Support Chris@Optimum's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why don`t you naysayers go to the Optimum forum and post your "speculations" and questions in the "Ask Dr. G" section.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, I have one question. How are you guys going about selling this to clients? If someone came to me and said, "hey I have this coating that will last years with out ever waxing" I would just laugh and keep walking. Also, are you guys charging a premium for this? I would assume a pretty big one since we will lose money if not waxing? I know, I know, that was 2 questions. lol

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileJay
    Okay, I have one question. How are you guys going about selling this to clients? If someone came to me and said, "hey I have this coating that will last years with out ever waxing" I would just laugh and keep walking. Also, are you guys charging a premium for this? I would assume a pretty big one since we will lose money if not waxing? I know, I know, that was 2 questions. lol

Thanks

Yeah, seriously.. every time I`ve bought a new vehicle since like, the dawn of time, the dealer tries to high pressure sale me into a "five year paint sealant coating!!!" One guy was so damn insistent, I tore up the sales contract and bought the car at another dealer.

I guess showing them your own personal car would be a great way to show it off, or a car done with it like http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...at-review.html

would do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah the dealers are perfect examples.

Yeah but it would be hard to make them believe it has been on for 6 months or a year, they`ll think you waxed it before you went over. Maybe not, maybe I`m just looking at it if someone came to me with this type of product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by Obsessive Detail

I talked to David from Optimum today and he has decided that he only wants the coating sold to professional detailers with an actual business now. Also, the coating is only going to be available directly from Optimum and there will be strict guidelines on who can purchase the product. The main thing is the liability issues involved with the product since it is an actual coating and in the wrong hands things could get messy. When I had talked to David earlier this year he pretty much told me that as long as I thought the purchaser had knowledge of detailing and signed the waiver I could sell the product, now he he worried about the liability issues. I don`t blame him for this and I would probably do the same thing if I was in his shoes.

its a good step, otherwise ended up n wrong hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Who`s got a sample for me?:hifive:
    Raising The Gloss Bar One Car At a Time!

UNIQUE POLISHING, MA / NH

Ryan Blanchette

Optimum Product Support Chris@Optimum's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    To sell it, I just suggest it to protect all the expensive correction I have just finished. Protect your investment type thing. I have it on my personal vehicle so I can show them the beading and how good my finish looks on my 2002 Nissan. I just tell them: "it looks like this after 2 years." My average customer that just wants wax and vacuum will never even hear about it from me. I figure if they don`t want correction, it ain`t for them.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread Information