Post Thanks / Like
    What is the minimum Lumen rating you would recommend for a flash light whose sole purpose it to expose swirls? I have just installed 4 ft light banks in the garage and have hallogens on floor stands. I need to check my work on the hood and roof.

Thanks!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X
    What is the minimum Lumen rating you would recommend for a flash light whose sole purpose it to expose swirls? I have just installed 4 ft light banks in the garage and have hallogens on floor stands. I need to check my work on the hood and roof...

IME it`s not so much the brightness as it is the *type* of light. I sometimes see flaws better under (comparatively weak) 60W incandescent bulbs than I do under brighter lights (including halogens). Once ceiling mounted bare bulb can often work better than many of the "fancy lights" people use.

I do a lot better with incandescents than I do with my Brinkman, and FWIW I find fluorescents basically worthless for this job.

While I find my SunGun very good for certain things (especially holograms), I really do best with those incandescents (ceiling mounted and hand held).

Note that the best thing to do is usually to turn out all the other lights so only your inspection light is providing illumination.

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator,

Have you tried the metal halide lamps ? I`m thinking of attaching one 400W housing in the middle of my 2x250W tripod....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sulla
    Accumulator,

Have you tried the metal halide lamps ? I`m thinking of attaching one 400W housing in the middle of my 2x250W tripod....

No I haven`t, but I think they`d be good. I`m pretty sure that`s what the local gas station has, and they do show everything. Let us know how it works if you try it...I bet it`ll be great.

Thread Information