Post Thanks / Like
    My truck has a lot of residue (oily circles I guess) and swirls. I bought this kit in hopes it would fix at least half of the problem. Has anyone had any any experience or tell me what it really is? Is it just a cleaner wax or what?

Post Thanks / Like
    the megs surface clay kit is used to remove above surface contaminants and will not remove scratches/swirls. you would use the clay prior to polishing and/or waxing (that`s why the cleaner wax sample is included)...

Post Thanks / Like
    Moto:

Claying a painted surface will remove BONDED contaminants from paint that detergent washing cannot remove/disolve.

Examples of bonded contaminants are:

1) Tar from road blacktop

2) Sap from trees

3) Insect guts/excrament

4) Bird droppings

5) Rail dust (those small rust-like dots noticeable on light-colored paint)

6) Brake pad dust on wheel rims

7) Paint overspray (from bodyshop repairs, building construction, roadwork lines)

8) Environmental fallout/industrial pollution

9) Hardwater deposits

All of these can be "removed" to some degree with claying. Bird droppings, certain tree saps, bug guts, and hardwater deposits can and will etch your clearcoat/paint which CANNOT be removed with claying, These require an abrasive cleaning, or as with hardwater deposits, a chemical cleaning. Claying will NOT remove swirls.

If you are "polishing" by hand, you can use a swirl-removing polish, but it is tedious and physically demanding to achieve acceptable results. The other option is to fill them in with a glaze or wax. It looks good at first, but the "problem" is that you are hiding them, and after a few washes, you are back to your original state.

My suggestion is to find a reputable detailer in your area to remove your swirls and apply a sealant or wax of your choice. I get slammed for saying this, but some things are best left to professionals or experienced hobbiest.

One of the best ways to find someone is to go to local car shows. Ask the owner who did his car. Most won`t mind sharing the name of a detailer who did the car.

Many times it is the owner himself. They are car-enthusiast whose detailing is a hobby, but are also very knowledgeable and passionate about how they maintain their cars (We call them obsessive-compulsive detailers, or OCD`s, on this forum). Ask them if they are willing to do your car. Some will, some won`t. But it never hurts to ask.
    GB detailer

Thread Information