Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried doing a search to see what conditioners and cleaners where water based. I was told that Zaino "Leather in a bottle" is water based. I am leaning to this because I already have the cleaner. What do you guys recommend that you know for a fact is water based?

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe Leather Master cleaners and protect are water based
    blackrex

Sandstone Pearl Lexus GX 470

Black Pearl WRX (R.I.P.)

Ocean Blue 911

Alpine M3 :woot2:

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe Poor Boys Leather Stuff is water based. You do not see many pure oil based but there are some with lanolin, waxes, etc. Meg;s One Step (picked up moons ago at Walmart) says it has no animal fats, etc. implying it is not an oil based cleaner/conditioner.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    Leather Masters

PB Leather Stuff

4* Leather conditioner
    "Life is not measured by the breathes we take, but by the moments that take our breathes away" :punk:

Post Thanks / Like
    Free samples are available for your testing!

Roger Koh

Leather Doctor®

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Koh

Roger Koh

Leather Doctor®

What?

2009 Dodge Charger SRT8 Super Bee

2006 Chrysler 300C

Post Thanks / Like

Roger Koh

Leather Doctor®

interested.

I think the Chemical guys Leather products (cleaner, conditioner, and the "all-in-one") is water based

Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of products are waster based but still contain oils or waxes in an emulsion. Oils/waxes etc cannot penetrate the finishes that are put on auto leather and stay on the surface where they collect more dirt to deteriorate the finish. The reason for using water based products is to keep the leather rehydrated. All leather has to transpire (breathe) which allows the movement of moisture particles back and forth through the leather so all surface coatings have to allow this to happen otherwise it is sealed and is not leather. Mositure particles from water based products are very fine (much finer than oils and waxes) and so can penetrate the finishes and rehydrate the leather.

True water based products do not contain oils and/or waxes so if the label says they do then don`t use them.

There are many water based cleaners around some good and some not so good. Foaming cleaners are the best as they can be given dwell time unlike liquids. Cream cleaners are not good as they need to be `cleaned` off after use!! making them a pointless porduct.

`Conditioners` are the products that cause the most confursion. Again they should not contain oils or waxes as this does no good for your leather finish. `Conditioning` leather as far as a tanner is concerned is the moisture balance so using a true water based product will condition your leather in the correct way.

LM, Fenice and LTT all produce true water based products.

Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by judyb
    A lot of products are waster based but still contain oils or waxes in an emulsion. Oils/waxes etc cannot penetrate the finishes that are put on auto leather and stay on the surface where they collect more dirt to deteriorate the finish. The reason for using water based products is to keep the leather rehydrated. All leather has to transpire (breathe) which allows the movement of moisture particles back and forth through the leather so all surface coatings have to allow this to happen otherwise it is sealed and is not leather. Mositure particles from water based products are very fine (much finer than oils and waxes) and so can penetrate the finishes and rehydrate the leather.

True water based products do not contain oils and/or waxes so if the label says they do then don`t use them.

There are many water based cleaners around some good and some not so good. Foaming cleaners are the best as they can be given dwell time unlike liquids. Cream cleaners are not good as they need to be `cleaned` off after use!! making them a pointless porduct.

`Conditioners` are the products that cause the most confursion. Again they should not contain oils or waxes as this does no good for your leather finish. `Conditioning` leather as far as a tanner is concerned is the moisture balance so using a true water based product will condition your leather in the correct way.

Hope this helps

You always have excellent explenations regarding leather related products, but you always forget to actually NAME some products. You caught my attention with the whole bit regarding the leather foam cleaners....can you forward mein the proper direction as to where I can directly purchase this recommended product, preferably somewhere in North America?

Much Appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    1Z Leather Care is a water based emulsion. Works very well.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKleven

John

I`ve got a bottle of this stuff. Never knew it was water based....what about the conditioner?

Post Thanks / Like

Roger Koh

Leather Doctor®

Good to know, PM sent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by judyb

Hope this helps

Ok..now Im confused.

This is what I use:

Leather Cleaner Plus Conditioner Combo Deal 2 Step Solution For Restoring Old Leather (Leather Cleaner 16 Oz. & Pure Leather Conditioner 16 Oz.)

and I like it so far, smells great, and keeps it clean, but I dont want to be damaging my European Recaro Leather seats either...(seats are in a 2004 Ford Focus SVT, with the European appearance package, and you cant buy these seats anymore....)

is this ok to use??? Im so paranoid now..and I was planning on doing my interior tomorrow.

Edit:

here are the seats, and yes they are dirty as hell, lol

Post Thanks / Like
    What are water-based leather cleaners?

Firstly, leather cleaners that are Preconditioner and they can come in various strength (example –Prep-Cleaner, Super- Cleaner or Strong-Cleaner to match soiling severity and problematic stains like blue-jean-dye-transfer, ballpoint-ink or even chewing- gum.

Secondly, leather cleaners that are for general cleaning and that is also meant to remove any sticky residue left behind by these mentioned preconditioners.

Thirdly are the rinse that neutralizes and pH balance the leather to its natural neutral pH value.

What are water-based leather conditioners?

First there are hydrators that will relax cardboard stiff leathers and also helps to create breathing pores within the leather structure as preconditioners for leather rejuvenating.

Secondly is the life blood of leathers – the fat and oil in water emulsion thus the term Fatliquor to soften and strengthen the leather structure (below surface) for its unique suppleness.

Thirdly is the non-stick protector that protects the leather (above surface) from abrasive wear.

Thus you have a total of 3 cleaners and 3 conditioners samples to test them out.

Roger Koh

Leather Doctor

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKleven

John

Leather Care `Lederpflege`

Item Id: 924805

A gentle formula of cleaners, natural oils and waxes that clean and condition to maintain the natural look and feel of leather surfaces. Leaves a clean, non-greasy finish with a light scent. Does not leave residue around stitching or perforations. Use on interior car fittings, motorcycle cladding, handbags, and boots. Not for use on suede or nude leathers.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information