Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finish Kare Decon system

Valu-Guard also makes a 3-step decon system. I`ve never used it,though, so cannot comment on its overall effectiveness or concerns for metal or plastic trim.
    If Ron Ketcham (AKA "Grumpy") was still posting, he could tell us all about it, as I believed he worked for this car-care chemical manufacturer for a while.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator uses the valugard and speaks very highly of it.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

I used it a few times but still have a lot of it sitting in my garage. I wonder what the shelf life of A and B is
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Valu-Guard also makes a 3-step decon system. I`ve never used it,though, so cannot comment on its overall effectiveness or concerns for metal or plastic trim...
    Much more gentle than the FK stuff, but also much less likely to have an "oops!".

If Ron Ketcham (AKA "Grumpy") was still posting, he could tell us all about it, as I believed he worked for this car-care chemical manufacturer for a while.
    He might`ve been at FK even longer than he was at AI/VG. He sure was, uhm...negatively disposed...towards the FK Decon system, basically thought it was irreparable harm waiting to happen while thinking the ABC is truly All That.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D
    I wonder what the shelf life of A and B is..
    Mine`s older than yours and as best I can tell it`s still OK. I`d expect the "A" to have an infinite shelf life, but just dunno about the "B". Maybe you could dunk a piece of litmus paper in it and see if it`s still acidic, at least that might tell you something, but I`ll probably just assume mine is OK and use it next time something needs it.

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645
    Accumulator uses the valugard and speaks very highly of it.
    Yep, same as all those Major Automakers who`ve tested/approved it. But with all the newer Decontamination Products on the market these days, I suspect that most people will gravitate towards color-indicative, and perhaps more potent, offerings than "B".

And I was never impressed with "C"...just a ph-neutral, mediocre shampoo IMO.

Now that "A" OTOH, there`s a swell product IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Much more gentle than the FK stuff, but also much less likely to have an "oops!".

He might`ve been at FK even longer than he was at AI/VG. He sure was, uhm...negatively disposed...towards the FK Decon system, basically thought it was irreparable harm waiting to happen while thinking the ABC is truly All That.
    FK`s acid step was scary strong but that high strength stuff saved two cars that I thought where beyond saving due to the number of rust blooms covering those two cars. I honesty don`t know if a milder product could have saved them.

Post Thanks / Like

You could just IronX the car. Do it twice if you don`t think it dissolved all the sintered iron. I don`t think you can forgo the clay barring though. Neither the ABC decon or iron fallout removers are really meant to replace clay barring. You`ll get better results doing both.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    . I don`t think you can forgo the clay barring though. Neither the ABC decon or iron fallout removers are really meant to replace clay barring. You`ll get better results doing both.
    No doubt about that. If I have some used clay near the end of its life, I will clay while the acid is dwelling. Talking about claying on steroids.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    You could just IronX the car. Do it twice if you don`t think it dissolved all the sintered iron
    Thinking maybe I should try 3D BDX. While is is meant for wheels, they mention it dissolves ferrous metals also.

Post Thanks / Like

I did a google search for Valugard ABC and the store selling the kit popped up. They`re just having technical problems processing orders right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I did a google search for Valugard ABC and the store selling the kit popped up. They`re just having technical problems processing orders right now.
    Was hoping to order through Auto Geek to include with other stuff to save on shipping but oh well. Valugard said they will charge 14.95 for the full ABC package. Not bad considering it can do approx a dozen cars per Accumulator.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorta-random thoughts follow:

-I`d be careful using decontamination products *made for wheels* on other surfaces. AFAIK the vast majority of oem wheels are still powdercoated, and what`s OK for that can kill other materials

-It`s kinda rare for clay/etc. to be required when using decent decontamination chemicals. One of the ideas behind the chems is that you do NOT have to use mechanical means. Yeah, as regulars here know, I`ve done it, but those were pretty extreme cases ("gee, what color is this thing any way?") but the Guys Who Really Know were pretty about the practice ("you oughta just let it dwell until it does its job") and where ABC is concerned the "proper"/approved way is to use their Bug Pad for the agitation

-Gee, did *I* post that "about a dozen cars?" I honestly don`t remember and there are a whole lotta variables...Still, I must`ve been referring to the kit with a gallon of each, IIRC they sell smaller bottles of it, if only under the Major Automakers` labels. The "A" goes a long way but I can imagine somebody going through the "B" quicker since it`s used undiluted and it`s soooo weak (uhm...I mean "nice and safe")

-Wonder if you can still get it from MOPAR and/or Ford dealerships, that might work for somebody who doesn`t want to pay shipping (depending on the markup)

Eh, I don`t want to sound like I`m equivocating, but I *can* imagine some here trying ABC and thinking it`s too mild. IMO one of its big selling points is that it won`t damage much of anything no matter how incorrectly it`s used, but that can mean no instant gratification.

Post Thanks / Like

Just used Valugard ABC a few weeks ago and followed up with a brand new clay bar and picked up NOTHING on the clay bar. Very impressed it Valugard. So far no returning rust blooms so Valugard will be my go to from now on.

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason ABC isn`t as widely known/used as it should be. I find it to be an excellent product that really does save on claying. It`s the first step to attaining that pop we are all looking for in our paint. It ought to be a staple in any serious detailer`s arsenal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    For some reason ABC isn`t as widely known/used as it should be. I find it to be an excellent product that really does save on claying. It`s the first step to attaining that pop we are all looking for in our paint. It ought to be a staple in any serious detailer`s arsenal.
    Agree completely.

Post Thanks / Like

One other thing, I would only use the pad Valugard provides for the acid step if you plan to compound afterwards. That thing likes rather abrasive.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information