Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    So a few years ago (2005) when QEW was all the rage I figured I would give it a try. I did one panel and was horrified at the marring it was causing. I threw the water out and proceeded to do an old fashion 3 bucket 6 mitt wash, followed by a blot dry with waffle weave microfiber drying towels. Since then I have not tried any kind of rinseless wash.

Now that I have a 13 month old, and time is hard to come by I am considering trying the optimum no rinse car wash this time. Which leads me to my question.

Can ONR really be used WITHOUT causing marring on black paint?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure it can, I went from being very apprehensive in regards to using this product thinking that it could cause marring on my customers cars......but once I gave it a try I was stunned.......It most definately works.......Did 3 black vehicles for customers that I see on a regular weekly basis yesterday.....and they all look perfect and no micro marring!

What I do is mix it 8oz to 2 gal of water, put it in a 5 gal cube for storage. Transfer ONR to a pump sprayer that holds 150ml, then liberally spray the vehicle 1 or 2 panels at a time. Make sure your MF`s are soft and fluffy, with the towel folded wipe the wet misted panel to pick up most of the ONR. Then use a second dry MF to to flash off whatever product is left for desired results. Once the panel is free and dry of ONR, the results are deep, wet and scratch free. But remember the paintwork must be perfect to begin with, this is not a cover up product.

I do not recommend using the product if the vehicle is extremely dirty or soiled, or if it has been driven for more than 2 weeks without a wash. Remeber leave the lower rockers, rear diffuser, bumper and fender well edges for last for best results! and I always recommend working from the top first leaving the lowers for last....
    David M. Sylican

Innovative Detailing

Headlight Lens Restoral

O.C. California

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes.

/thread]

Post Thanks / Like
    IME the ONR/QEW washes work better for some people than for others and I suspect there is a variety of reasons for that. If any given approach to detailing does/doesn`t work for you, then *that* is what counts, not how it works for other people.

slammin86- I appreciate your prioritization of real-life considerations. FWIW, if I were unable to do my time-intensive washes, ONR would not be the answer. But that`s just me.

If ONR would be a make it/break it time-saver for you but the result would be marring, then I`d actually reconsider your choice of car! Yeah, I`d replace the black car with something you can keep OK-looking a whole lot easier. I`ve actually done that before when I needed to spend less time on my detailing, and I might even do it again here soon.

When you look back on this decade, how perfectly detailed your car was won`t be of much importance

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EliminatorXP
    I do not recommend using the product if the vehicle is extremely dirty or soiled, or if it has been driven for more than 2 weeks without a wash.

Why not use the product if the car has been driven for more than 2 weeks? Do a lot of people wash their car every 2 weeks? To me, that`s almost like saying don`t use it as a car wash at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    I could hear the grit grinding as I was wiping with ONR. Especially on the lower part of my car. There was a thin layer of salt as if it was misted with salt water and then the water evaporated. Should I have not used ONR for that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Boston,

What applicator were you using, or how did you apply ONR?

Thanks, Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    works rather well

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by levander
    Why not use the product if the car has been driven for more than 2 weeks? Do a lot of people wash their car every 2 weeks? To me, that`s almost like saying don`t use it as a car wash at all.

All of my customers vehicles are thoroughly washed weekly, and recieve a maintenance detail monthly. With the build up that I see weekly let alone every two weeks I would advise properly washing the vehicle at that point.

The customers that use their vehicle as a weekend vehicle or special ocassion car and put very few miles on it weekly, those are the ones I would feel comfortable using ONR as a wash substitute.

Or if the vehicle is extremely dirty and water restrictions or limitations apply, this method could definately be used and incorporated to then proceed and detail the vehicle completley. You will have marring that will need to be polished and then wax or sealed , or a one step does all product for a quickie.

.....This is JMO and observation.....
    David M. Sylican

Innovative Detailing

Headlight Lens Restoral

O.C. California

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it has a LOT to do with your method more so than the QEW. I use a SS mitt which is pretty wet with QEW (not dripping) and sometimes wipe twice before drying carefully. Common sense also goes a long way, if too dirty I will run through the quarter wash or hose it off to get big grit off first or do a conventional wash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey slammin, please describe your EXACT method on a dirty car. General approach, # of steps, etc. I`m kinda suspicious...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin
    Yes.

/thread]

Amen. :closed:

OP, sounds like your degree of perfection and inspection might be a little more than many of us, but nonetheless, ONR is fine. I think one of the key "tricks" with ONR use is that you use it on a car that is maintained regularly...at least if you`re concerned with Electron Microscope-level of micromarring.

I know some people do use ONR when a car is totally trashed, but I don`t. I use it on a car that is reasonably not-filthy, with great results, and I`m sure you will too.

Plus, even if a microscopic amount of micromarring resulted...wouldn`t that already get cleaned up by the once or twice-yearly polishing/detail sessions that I imagine you already do?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure it can, I went from being very apprehensive in regards to using this product thinking that it could cause marring on my customers cars......but once I gave it a try I was stunned.......It most definately works.......Did 3 black vehicles for customers that I see on a regular weekly basis yesterday.....and they all look perfect and no micro marring!

What I do is mix it 8oz to 2 gal of water, put it in a 5 gal cube for storage. Transfer ONR to a pump sprayer that holds 150ml, then liberally spray the vehicle 1 or 2 panels at a time. Make sure your MF`s are soft and fluffy, with the towel folded wipe the wet misted panel to pick up most of the ONR. Then use a second dry MF to to flash off whatever product is left for desired results. Once the panel is free and dry of ONR, the results are deep, wet and scratch free. But remember the paintwork must be perfect to begin with, this is not a cover up product.

I do not recommend using the product if the vehicle is extremely dirty or soiled, or if it has been driven for more than 2 weeks without a wash. Remeber leave the lower rockers, rear diffuser, bumper and fender well edges for last for best results! and I always recommend working from the top first leaving the lowers for last....

Isn`t that A LOT more ONR than the bottle suggests? I think i used like 2 oz ONR to 2 gallons of water and that was more than suggested too.

I`m just curious because i want to know i`m using enough of the product.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    According to the directions you can use it 3 different ways depending on the mix ratio....

Wash - no rinse car wash

Mist and wipe - like a final detailer - This is how I describe usuing it.....:xyxthumbs

Clay spray - clay lube
    David M. Sylican

Innovative Detailing

Headlight Lens Restoral

O.C. California

Post Thanks / Like
    According to the directions you can use it 3 different ways depending on the mix ratio....

Exactly, just use ONR at the ratios recommended by Optimum, its their product after all and will have thoroughly tested it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information