Post Thanks / Like
    I have a bottle of Lexol leather cleaner, and a bottle of Lexol leather conditioner that are from 2004 roughly. What`s everyone`s opinion on whether it`s OK or not to use these 6 year old bottles of product on my leather steering wheel?

I`m thinking it probably shouldn`t be a problem, but if anyone here knows better or has experience, it would be great to hear from you.

Thanks!

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shake it and try it. That`s the only way to know for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Both should be fine, I used some that was easily twice as old recently, however the conditioner is not good on automobile surfaces. Its sticky and messy, I`d use the cleaner, then follow with a damp cloth to remove the soap and just leave it be or find something better as a protectant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not good because it`s old or not good just because you don`t like the product?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody
    Shake it and try it. That`s the only way to know for sure.

agreed :buffing:

Post Thanks / Like
    levander - I like the product, but was wondering if it was OK to use 6 + year old lexol

Post Thanks / Like
    It may be fine to use however, I would not use it on a steering wheel.

Look into other products that do not leave behind a greasy feel.

As much as I like Zaino, the best I find that does not give any greasy feel and acutually feels a bit "grippy" or firm is the Sonus leather conditioner.

I do not slide in my seat with that product (Sonus) at all and in fact it makes the leather feel smooth, but less slippery and gives the feeling that it "grips" as opposed to a slicker feel.

Developed by a fellow Porsche owner using Porsche leather skins to sample both feel and leather odor. Sonus does not smell good out of bottle, but once on leather, it releases natural odors of the leather. No phony leather odors.

Just be careful on using anything on a leather wheel, you do not want it to feel slick.

Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

Post Thanks / Like
    I never liked lexol.

Zaino is one of my favorites, but I also like four star. I use it on my leather couches at home and it`s great.

Post Thanks / Like
    hi guys, thanks for the responses. however, i was wondering if it were safe to use lexol that is 6+ years old, since I have a big bottle of if leftover...i know that it can leave a greasy feeling behind, but that eventually does go away, and in my opinion lexol (when new) does do a good job of moisturizing and conditioning the leather. i`m more interested in knowing if there would be any adverse affects of using lexol that is that old, before i use it.

yakky, I have the same question as levander - did you mean that the conditioner is no good because you don`t like Lexol as a conditioner in general, or no good because that it is very old?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by turboawd
    hi guys, thanks for the responses. however, i was wondering if it were safe to use lexol that is 6+ years old, since I have a big bottle of if leftover...i know that it can leave a greasy feeling behind, but that eventually does go away, and in my opinion lexol (when new) does do a good job of moisturizing and conditioning the leather. i`m more interested in knowing if there would be any adverse affects of using lexol that is that old, before i use it.

yakky, I have the same question as levander - did you mean that the conditioner is no good because you don`t like Lexol as a conditioner in general, or no good because that it is very old?

I mean its not good because it does nothing to condition modern leather from my personal experience and everthing I have read. Lexol is good on "untreated" leather. 99% of cars produced since the late 90`s have treated leather, which in esscance means clear coated. That greasy crap will end up on the surface, attract dirt and that dirt will wear away at that coating. If that is your idea of conditioning, then go ahead and use the stuff, I`m sure its almost as good as the day it was made. :laugh:

IMO you are better off just cleaning the leather and not putting anything on top if its not meant for treated leather.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by turboawd
    hi guys, thanks for the responses. however, i was wondering if it were safe to use lexol that is 6+ years old, since I have a big bottle of if leftover...

I`m still using up some *OLD* Lexol by applying it to the leather dog leads/etc. It`s fine, and it`s a *LOT* older than yours.

As long as it doesn`t smell "off" I wouldn`t hesitate to use it.

IMO/IME people worry far too much about the shelf-life of products; I hardly ever have products go bad even after many, many years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check the shelf life for bacteria formation, if the color and smell seem ok, it should be ok to use. If anything, some of the solvents may of evaporated over time, but this is not an issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the responses guys... i will give the product a good smell to see if it`s off...thanks for the info as well yakky - i had no idea this was the case. i may end up just getting some zaino leather in a bottle...we`ll see...

do you guys think that the lexol leather cleaner is good?

Thread Information